Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast/ Galaxy S4 Capabilities Query

Options
  • 02-04-2014 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been answered already, I did a search and found nothing.

I have a GCC arriving in afew days and I am wondering is there a way I will be able to play files I have on my SD card (within S4) using VLC media through phone to my television with GCC.

I know its branded for the likes of YouTube, Netflix etc. but surely someone has a way to do this!?

Regards..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

Jurrrr wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been answered already, I did a search and found nothing.

I have a GCC arriving in afew days and I am wondering is there a way I will be able to play files I have on my SD card (within S4) using VLC media through phone to my television with GCC.

I know its branded for the likes of YouTube, Netflix etc. but surely someone has a way to do this!?

Regards..
    There is an app called local cast on the play store, not sure if its what you,re looking for but could be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It depends on what type of video files they are. Chromecast doesn't support every video codec so presuming they are the right type of video file then yes you can use the following apps to stream them to your TV: AllCast, Localcast and Avia.

Unless you consistently get the videos from the same source you'll probably find most work fine, some won't work at all and other will work without the sound and vice versa as they are all different codecs.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jurrrr

There is an app called local cast on the play store, not sure if its what you,re looking for but could be worth a try.
    Dudda wrote: »
    It depends on what type of video files they are. Chromecast doesn't support every video codec so presuming they are the right type of video file then yes you can use the following apps to stream them to your TV: AllCast, Localcast and Avia.

Unless you consistently get the videos from the same source you'll probably find most work fine, some won't work at all and other will work without the sound and vice versa as they are all different codecs.

Thanks Guys :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I found realplayer worked Perfect for playing to the cromecast!

Is it the video file that has a particular video format or do the different players convert each video file to a particular format?
    I have videos that wont play through AllCast because it says the format isnt supported. Would real player change the format to make the video compatible with chromecast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Bubble uPnP is also good for local content, it can transcode.

BubbleUPnP Chromecast
    BubbleUPnP can access your media from a lot of sources, including:

• UPnP/DLNA media servers: most NASes, XBMC, Plex, Twonky, Serviio, Windows Media Player and many more
    • local media stored on your Android device
    • cloud media: Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Music, Google+
    • media from other apps using Share/Send such as: web browsers, file managers, SoundCloud, ...
    • captured audio from most other apps. Requires Xposed (root)
    • Shoutcast radio (with XiiaLive)

BubbleUPnP is a versatile app packed with many features for you to discover, some of which are:

• extensive Chromecast support: play incompatible Chromecast media with transcoding(*): MKV, AVI, MOV, WMV, WTV, RMVB, TS, FLAC, WMA, ..., subtitles with custom appearance, audio/video track selection

Edit... Got sorted....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Jurrrr wrote: »
    quote removed.....in deference to poster!!

Careful !!!!

Admin already closed one thread re this app, and threatened banning, apparently it's the app that dare not speak it's name. :(

Piracy and all that.

Check out the forum.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057184085/2/#post89866841

Careful !!!!

Admin already closed one thread re this app, and threatened banning, apparently it's the app that dare not speak it's name. :(

Piracy and all that.

Check out the forum.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057184085/2/#post89866841

Post edited... Apologies.

Advertisement