Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Society X

Options
  • 02-04-2014 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

I just saw the boxset for this in a local dvd shop, to be honest I'd never even heard of it before and it looked like a backyard promotion slapped together by MTV. Anybody have any info on it (I just scanned the wiki page and apart form Waltman and a couple of other vaguely recognisable names nothing stood out) or reckon it's worth picking up?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

It is worth picking up. The director's commentary is very good in terms of explaining how the show ended and what the booking plans were for Season 2 & 3.

Has definite plus and minus points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The standard of wrestling was ok, but the whole thing was very rushed, trying to fit 2 matches and promos into about 22 minutes (30 minutes minus ads). If it was an hour long show it might have worked better.
    Their use of special effects and pyro/fake electrocultions, etc was very cheesy too.
    The fact that MTV effectively dropped it after 4 episodes though is quite damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

The standard of wrestling was ok, but the whole thing was very rushed, trying to fit 2 matches and promos into about 22 minutes (30 minutes minus ads). If it was an hour long show it might have worked better.
    Their use of special effects and pyro/fake electrocultions, etc was very cheesy too.
    The fact that MTV effectively dropped it after 4 episodes though is quite damning.

They were pretty much forced to drop it after the "fireball" incident with Vampiro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I found it strangely enjoyable considering it was mostly a trainwreck, but the good kind of trainwreck a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fr. Sensini

It was entertaining enough, something different from the usual two hour shows.. I was very funny both intentionally and not. The explosions, the spotfest matches, the constant cuts to people in the crowd pulling exaggerated facial expressions and the insane commentators and ring announcer. I watched the first couple of episodes again a few weeks ago and still liked it. It had loads of goofy stuff like a tag-team called That 70's Team whose hometown was "behind the velvet rope at Studio 54" and Chris Hamrick who was a rival of New Jack and who the commentators said was "a good ole southern boy and let's just say his way of thinking does not fit with New Jacks".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thought it was awful tbh. Seemed so rushed and to me looked like they had no actual plan for the show other than show a 3 minute spot fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

I enjoyed it, but then I’m a huge ECW mark.

It was like a PWG show really squashed down with over the top Hollywood stuff (explosions/plants in the crowd/story-lines) thrown in.

If you wanted a bit of fun or had ADHD and couldn’t go five minutes without being bored you could do worse than watch it. Also it had dragon gate wrestlers long before it was big or DGUSA launched

The box set is loaded with a tonne of stuff, there is web shows on it with more matches, series finale that didn’t air, the commentary as someone said. So it’s not like it’s just the shows you can download off YouTube or record off MTV for free (like I did)

For the people giving out about the match lengths, there is a dvd called before They Were Stars-Matt Sydal:Bourne Is Born, this had extended and tv versions of his matches in WSX

Advertisement