Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a carbon frameset

Options
  • 02-04-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about buying a carbon frameset and looking for some opinions
    Should I buy better spec 2nd hand or cheaper new frameset
    Not yet sure about budget so for now I'll say €400 to €600 range

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Ribble have frames in that price range. I have had a Sportive frame for around 6 years and it's still going strong.

Chinese frames are good too (Hong Fu etc).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I got quoted around 600 delivered all in (including taxes and postage) for a chinese frameset, saddle, bars, seatpost, bottle cages. All carbon. Very very tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Yep I've seen the Chinese frames, a bit worried about buying from them in case customs slap a few hundred on top of it
    Has anyone here had that happen to them ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mamax wrote: »
    Yep I've seen the Chinese frames, a bit worried about buying from them in case customs slap a few hundred on top of it
    Has anyone here had that happen to them ?

From what I can see its 3.2% on the invoice cost + devlivery then vat on top of that.
    the price is
    HF-FM139: 485usd for frame+fork+seatpost+clmap;
    HF-ST003: $60;

HF-SD002 out of stock now , will not sell any more .

Carbon Spacer: 5usd/set (5/10/15/20mm)

HF-FD008: 25usd for two ;

HF-HB003: $60;

HF-W50-T02 clincher : 470usd/pair;

ship cost : 85usd ( frame+accessaries )+85usd (wheelset ) two cartons;

for all the items , if 4pcs , there is a discount .

frame warranty 2 years ,wheelset 1 year;

This is the quote I got. Wont be going with the wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Never got stung myself for taxes importing carbon frame from China ... but thats not to say you wouldn't ..guess thats a chance you take

• Advertisement

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Never got stung myself for taxes importing carbon frame from China ... but thats not to say you wouldn't ..guess thats a chance you take

Did you have to pay any?

Who did you order off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

No nothing at all .... got my frame and forks and other items from Honor bikes
    http://www.honorteam.cn/ dealt with Mark and all was good ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Robxxx7 wrote: »

My husband didn't have to pay customs charges either. Stuff was from Hong Fu and Yishin.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

So has anyone dealt with any European suppliers that come anywhere near the price of the chinese suppliers for similar quality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Check out the etape from Dolan. Under €500 delivered.

• Advertisement

Check out the etape from Dolan. Under €500 delivered.

Nice frame. Pity about the colours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pprendeville

godtabh wrote: »
    From what I can see its 3.2% on the invoice cost + devlivery then vat on top of that.

This is the quote I got. Wont be going with the wheels

13602070083_b1712b8c19_c.jpg

13602307295_4eee5183ee_c.jpg

That's a pretty decent price considering they're selling carbon frames on Taobao (one of the main retailing platforms in China, they don't really have a Wiggle or Chainreactions site) to Chinese customers for similar prices, an indication that China is on the rise by the way in terms of disposable income on such goods. Miracle Trade are also another good company to deal with by the way and DengFu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i ordered wheels from china recently and was charged taxes, so it most definately is a risk. There was also talk about an anti-dumping charge (see this post). I dont know anything about that charge tho.

lennymc wrote: »
    i ordered wheels from china recently and was charged taxes, so it most definately is a risk. There was also talk about an anti-dumping charge (see this post). I dont know anything about that charge tho.

Who did you order off?

Maybe slightly off topic but is there similar traders who sell aluminum bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

carbonzone

Advertisement