Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mineral boluses for maiden heifers

Options
  • 02-04-2014 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭

Well what's the story? Would ye recommend them? High molybdenum here so Vit E and selenium can be tied up. Copper low also. Would I be better off cost wise with a few soya hulls and a decent breeder mineral mixed through it or do the boluses do all that with much less hassle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Well what's the story? Would ye recommend them? High molybdenum here so Vit E and selenium can be tied up. Copper low also. Would I be better off cost wise with a few soya hulls and a decent breeder mineral mixed through it or do the boluses do all that with much less hassle?

How do you know if you have high molybdenum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Sami23 wrote: »
    How do you know if you have high molybdenum ?

Blood tests and soil tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

alot of waterford is hi in Mo... it locks up the copper ... my forage analysis consistantly shows this..... freedom i give maids copper inj IM a week before bulling...... cows added copper in ration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Blood tests and soil tests.

Is it a special soil test ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

i'd give them a hi trace bolus for copper seliumen, cobalt and iodine as by giving indivudal bolus u know they have it got

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

This area here is also high in MO.
    I give bolus that is high in Cu and Se and Iodine. Works well with no probs so far.
    Expensive though @ €12/head.

case 956 wrote: »
    i'd give them a hi trace bolus for copper seliumen, cobalt and iodine as by giving indivudal bolus u know they have it got

Any trade names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Any trade names?

Dietevit. Made by Neolait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi Trace Iodine, copper and selenium given to all breeding cattle here in the last few weeks. 2 bolus to cows at a total of €5.04 per cow and 1 to heifers at €2.52 each. Got a special deal on them and a free applicator when I contacted the rep to ask questions about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

Any trade names?

agrimin all trace high iodine working out 6.30 for cow

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads. We had too many repeats with the heifers last year which is really showing up now. 1 calving now and 2 out of the 3 left to calve being heifers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

reilig wrote: »
    Hi Trace Iodine, copper and selenium given to all breeding cattle here in the last few weeks. 2 bolus to cows at a total of €5.04 per cow and 1 to heifers at €2.52 each. Got a special deal on them and a free applicator when I contacted the rep to ask questions about them.

That was cheap.
    I looked on magenta there for the all sure bolus 6.30 a piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

reilig wrote: »
    Were they from Mayo Healthcare ??

Advertisement