Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips energy saver bulbs - power city

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

jescart wrote: »
    They have lots of these for €1.95 (reduced from €4.95)

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=80-11-224060&brands=PHILIPS

they have the 11w (60w) ones also at same price.
    sure woodies were selling these philips cfls before for a mere 70 cents each .
    11 watt and 15 watts cfls are around 1 euro to 1 euro 50 cents in most electrical wholesalers , and they open and sell to the public too . so paying powercity the gutts of 2 euro for a cfl bulb isnt a bargain in this day and age . all it is is a marketing gimmick to get you to buy them in powercity and get you to buy something else too .

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

handandy wrote: »
    sure woodies were selling these philips cfls before for a mere 70 cents each .
    11 watt and 15 watts cfls are around 1 euro to 1 euro 50 cents in most electrical wholesalers , and they open and sell to the public too . so paying powercity the gutts of 2 euro for a cfl bulb isnt a bargain in this day and age . all it is is a marketing gimmick to get you to buy them in powercity and get you to buy something else too .

Are Woodies selling these now at the price you mention ?
    If not can you let us know where they can be purchased cheaper than what the OP's post states ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

The cheap ones were subsidised by the UK tax payer - e.on philips genie bulbs haven't seen any around for a while. I finally ran out of my stash of them so I bought some at normal price all failed; two within days, one within two months, one within six months. Never had a problem with the e.on ones which just wore out as opposed to failing I'll be keeping the receipts in future.

Dunnes have the 18w genie bulbs 2 for €5 at the moments these are 1100lumens vs 600 lumens for the 11W.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

I was in Woodies in Cork Yeasterday and they were not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Are these the cfl's that are made to last 5 years but really last about 6months if your lucky!

• Advertisement

bmm wrote: »
    Are these the cfl's that are made to last 5 years but really last about 6months if your lucky!

To be fair in a situation where they are turned on and off all the time e.g. hall, bathroom cfls are unsuitable. They are also unsuitable for most closed fixtures due to lack of heat dissipation.
    Used as intended in appropriate fixtures a good brand will on average last their estimated life. Flicking them on and off rapidly, as kids are wont to do can kill them in seconds, as can brown out in the event of a power cut, poor connections, corroded, burnt, oxidised sockets and switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I've had the Phillips EON ones in my house since 2005, haven't changed one yet.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Ihaven't changed one yet.

Must be awful dark in the house then :pac:

Scrooge-Scowl1.jpg

moodrater wrote: »
    Must be awful dark in the house then :pac:

Scrooge-Scowl1.jpg

We're obviously not on the same wavelength.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    We're obviously not on the same wavelength.

Yes mines in the visible spectrum. I was joking but also incredulous. Early bulbs were 6000 hour life, that is the number of hours by which 50% are likely to fail. You have to multiply that by 0.4 for short term applications like bathrooms, hallways. Statistically the only probable way your bulbs could have lasted 9 years is if you don't turn them on very much and even if they did at average use they'd have lost over 40% of light output so it going to be pretty dark.

• Advertisement

moodrater wrote: »
    Yes mines in the visible spectrum. I was joking but also incredulous. Early bulbs were 6000 hour life, that is the number of hours by which 50% are likely to fail. You have to multiply that by 0.4 for short term applications like bathrooms, hallways. Statistically the only probable way your bulbs could have lasted 9 years is if you don't turn them on very much and even if they did at average use they'd have lost over 40% of light output so it going to be pretty dark.

You know what they say, always treat statistics with scepticism.
    "Lies, damned lies and statistics"

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rightman

I had good few of these cfl bulbs from different manufacturers - some of them were like a joke (failing after a really short time ).
    Today we don't have to buy "cat in a bag" anymore - there are tests, reviews and end consumer opinions that we can research before making a purchase.

At the moment we have I think 3 or 4 normal bulbs 100w each and we're waiting for an offer like this (I'd go for the 100w equivalent as I like it bright ;-)

After reading a quick info about these tornado cfls from philips I decided to give up this time - the level of failure is way to high for a 4e bulb and it would never compensate the initial cost of it.

It really feels like it's time to give LED bulbs a chance - amazing life span...
    I just have to find someone's recommendation.

I went mad about the bulbs :-P

But I'd be happy if only one person could think and calculate before spending their precious euros..

Cheers,
    Rightman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Can led bulbs work off 220v and if so can you get them with a baynot fitting to replace existing incandescent light bulbs, fittings.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Can led bulbs work off 220v and if so can you get them with a baynot fitting to replace existing incandescent light bulbs, fittings.
    simple answer is yes there are mains/220v led bulbs readily available . any decent electrical wholesaler shop will sell them as will ikea , b&q and homebase . expect to pay from 5 euro upwards per led lightbulb . 2700k is warm white and 3000k is a slightly harsher colder white , anything over 3000k is classed as cold/ice white , you can also buy a b22-e27 bulb adaptor in the wholesaler shops or off of ebay for a couple of euro , this will allow you to use e27/screwcap led bulbs in a b22/bayonet light fitting .
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?query=led+bulb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

handandy wrote: »
    simple answer is yes there are mains/220v led bulbs readily available . any decent electrical wholesaler shop will sell them as will ikea , b&q and homebase . expect to pay from 5 euro upwards per led lightbulb . 2700k is warm white and 3000k is a slightly harsher colder white , anything over 3000k is classed as cold/ice white , you can also buy a b22-e27 bulb adaptor in the wholesaler shops or off of ebay for a couple of euro , this will allow you to use e27/screwcap led bulbs in a b22/bayonet light fitting .
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?query=led+bulb

thanks for that, its very interesting ,If using on 220v would you still get the benefit of low heat output!

Do a bit of research here also:

http://www.dx.com/c/home-garden-1099/lightings-1045/led-light-bulbs-1072

Cheers,
    Rightman

thanks for that, its very interesting ,If using on 220v would you still get the benefit of low heat output!
    simple answer is yes , 220v led light bulbs wont emit anywhere near the heat that an old incandescent bulb or a cfl bulb would emit . leds bulbs emit only a very small amount of heat and are very energy efficient too .

Feels like buying from the source of it ;-)

http://www.dx.com/s/led+bulb+e27

Cheers,
    Rightman

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes. A 4W bulb will only have a 4 W available, it's actually more work to get an low voltage LED as you need a driver. So as a rule LED are mains. For pendant lights IkEA have a good range.

Looking for an equivalent to 100w is not advisable, for the past number of years lamps have been sold using the lumens measurement which is a quantifiable unit

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rightman wrote: »
    I had good few of these cfl bulbs from different manufacturers - some of them were like a joke (failing after a really short time ).
    Today we don't have to buy "cat in a bag" anymore - there are tests, reviews and end consumer opinions that we can research before making a purchase.

At the moment we have I think 3 or 4 normal bulbs 100w each and we're waiting for an offer like this (I'd go for the 100w equivalent as I like it bright ;-)

After reading a quick info about these tornado cfls from philips I decided to give up this time - the level of failure is way to high for a 4e bulb and it would never compensate the initial cost of it.

It really feels like it's time to give LED bulbs a chance - amazing life span...
    I just have to find someone's recommendation.

I went mad about the bulbs :-P

But I'd be happy if only one person could think and calculate before spending their precious euros..

Cheers,
    Rightman

Why wait? Replacing a 100w with a CFL or LED offers a payback period of months not years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

A mace shop in Drogheda a few years back had them for 50c each. I bought one thinking it'd scan at the correct price. It did scan at fifty cent. I bought the lot, about 25! 22.gif

Advertisement