Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business & Music without Junior Cert?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Right now, I'm finding myself in a bit of a pickle. I'm totally baffled as to which subjects to pick for the Leaving Cert course (I'm in TY), and I'm hoping that someone could advise me whether doing Music and Business is a good idea, considering I didn't do them for the Junior Cert. I'm a Grade Two piano player, so I'm wondering if this would stop me from jumping in the deep end in terms of doing music. I want to do business because I have realised that this is what I wish to pursue (I didn't know it at the time of picking Junior subjects), so I'm wondering is it a good idea to do a business subject in the Leaving Cert? I am willing to put in the work necessary, but will it be possible with all the weight of the other subject at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

nelly97 wrote: »
    Right now, I'm finding myself in a bit of a pickle. I'm totally baffled as to which subjects to pick for the Leaving Cert course (I'm in TY), and I'm hoping that someone could advise me whether doing Music and Business is a good idea, considering I didn't do them for the Junior Cert. I'm a Grade Two piano player, so I'm wondering if this would stop me from jumping in the deep end in terms of doing music. I want to do business because I have realised that this is what I wish to pursue (I didn't know it at the time of picking Junior subjects), so I'm wondering is it a good idea to do a business subject in the Leaving Cert? I am willing to put in the work necessary, but will it be possible with all the weight of the other subject at the same time?

Business is easy to pick up without junior cert business, some of my friends haven't done it and are top of the class. Music I wouldn't be sure about, I think from the JC you're expected to have some knowledge of theory and reading sheet, but JC music theory is childs play anyways so I think you would be ok, what grade are you in theory? If you keep up the piano lessons you should be fine I'd imagine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Business for Leaving Cert requires little or no prior knowledge so that wont be a problem. As for music, I'm not sure. Talk to the music teacher in your school. He/she will know whether it will be possible with your level of proficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Do you have the option to study Economics? Or is it just Bus Org or Accountancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Music is easy to pick up from fifth year, I did it and it's one of my easiest subjects. You'll know a lot of the theory already since you can play the piano.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

I made the utter mistake of choose music for leaving cert after not doing it for my Junior Cert. I had only basic knowledge along with being a singer.
    If you are taking it up, make sure you have a good teacher. I wasn't so lucky and I'm dreading it. Paper 1 is all mostly stuff you learn, but Paper 2 is where you will struggle if you don't understand theory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ask your piano teacher to do some theory lessons (about gr. 4 theory will get you to the same level as a good JC). Even ask them to point out any key changes/modulations/cadences in your piano pieces will help.
    The performance standard is about gr.5 so assuming you do music tech and 4 pieces (they dont have to be grade pieces either!) You should be ok.
    Now is the time to get your future music teacher onside in terms of advice..rather than showing up in front of them in 5thyear asking what a cadence is.
    I've had students do the lc course in 1 year with basic theory knowledge but by golly they really were hard work for me. And your prospective music teacher knows this. Go now to the teacher and show that you want to be ready to start when the time comes.

On a more positive note though music is one of the easiest subjects to get an honour in, but the A's and B's are usually got by dedicated students who do well in all sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nelly97

All of your advice has been tremendously helpful! I have made my choices, so here's hoping they're the right ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jplc

Do you guys reckon this years business paper is going to be as ambiguous as last year. I really wish the state examinations commission would get of their lazy backsides and standardise the tests by producing their own text books (like UK edexel who set the A levels) so we dont get surprised by definitions they invent for their marking scheme. God forbid the test be fair and those who set it accountable.

jplc wrote: »
    Do you guys reckon this years business paper is going to be as ambiguous as last year. I really wish the state examinations commission would get of their lazy backsides and standardise the tests by producing their own text books (like UK edexel who set the A levels) so we dont get surprised by definitions they invent for their marking scheme. God forbid the test be fair and those who set it accountable.

No they are striving to make papers ''less predictable'' which is utter rubbish in my opinion so I would expect a few surprises. You should also blame the publishers themselves in regard to business. Most textbooks for most subjects are broadly inline with the marking scheme but for business every textbook available is utter crap and does not prepare you in anyway to do well in the exam.

thelad95 wrote: »
    No they are striving to make papers ''less predictable'' which is utter rubbish in my opinion so I would expect a few surprises. You should also blame the publishers themselves in regard to business. Most textbooks for most subjects are broadly inline with the marking scheme but for business every textbook available is utter crap and does not prepare you in anyway to do well in the exam.

Pity, repeating this year. Had considered doing the A levels or the IB, not cause there easier, contrary A levels have 5 exams per subject but there modulated and well structured meaning they cant pull any bell curve nonsense you get the grade you work for.

Any way does ent a bell curve only serve to question the ability of the examiner to do his/her job in the first place.

Was looking at Q1 A (i) part 3 of 2013 paper:confused: key words in the marking scheme are completely general and not even found in the original piece of legislation.

Business is a good subject and I like it, its just the examinations commission trying to asses beyond the scope of the available material, toxic.

Examiners office must be where good ideas go to die.

• Advertisement

Pity, repeating this year. Had considered doing the A levels or the IB, not cause there easier, contrary A levels have 5 exams per subject but there modulated and well structured meaning they cant pull any bell curve nonsense you get the grade you work for.

Any way does ent a bell curve only serve to question the ability of the examiner to do his/her job in the first place.

Was looking at Q1 A (i) part 3 of 2013 paper:confused: key words in the marking scheme are completely general and not even found in the original piece of legislation.

Business is a good subject and I like it, its just the examinations commission trying to asses beyond the scope of the available material, toxic.

Examiners office must be where good ideas go to die.

This appears to be occurring in a number of subjects. For example in 2011 a question appeared on the Geography paper ''Discuss 2 positive impacts of volcanic activity'' yet nowhere on the syllabus does it state that students have to study the benefits or disadvantages of volcanic activity. Last year in Economics a definition appeared on the paper that could not be found in any textbook.

If the SEC are unhappy with syllabuses they should amend them and stop the cruel practice of bringing in stuff not covered on the syllabus

This appears to be occurring in a number of subjects. For example in 2011 a question appeared on the Geography paper ''Discuss 2 positive impacts of volcanic activity'' yet nowhere on the syllabus does it state that students have to study the benefits or disadvantages of volcanic activity. Last year in Economics a definition appeared on the paper that could not be found in any textbook.

If the SEC are unhappy with syllabuses they should amend them and stop the cruel practice of bringing in stuff not covered on the syllabus

Agreed.

speaking of you economics definition, The Ag. Science crew have a tradition of throwing at least one question in the the mix which you wont find in any text book, their devils for it.

I left a note about it on my paper last year.

problem is the complacency in the country, when I got may papers checked some grades had to be amended, I believe there were quite a few people in that position last year, needs to be addressed. Never mind going to Athlone to complain should drag them through the high court.

If the examiner cant correct a paper properly make the first two sections multiple choice and the last section short answer questions.

Its the long question that confuse the junior teachers, if you explain a business concept in your own words poor Timmy straight out of college and teaching LC business will get flustered and mark you zero.

The Chemistry and Biology departments seem to be the only ones doing the best they can with the hand their dealt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

If you read music to a reasonable standard and are a worker then music is definitely possible. You will find the harmony paper hard going to begin with but keep at it and you will get there. There's the 50% technology option too where you create a backing track and play along to it for 25% of the exam

Agreed.

speaking of you economics definition, The Ag. Science crew have a tradition of throwing at least one question in the the mix which you wont find in any text book, their devils for it.

I left a note about it on my paper last year.

problem is the complacency in the country, when I got may papers checked some grades had to be amended, I believe there were quite a few people in that position last year, needs to be addressed. Never mind going to Athlone to complain should drag them through the high court.

If the examiner cant correct a paper properly make the first two sections multiple choice and the last section short answer questions.

Its the long question that confuse the junior teachers, if you explain a business concept in your own words poor Timmy straight out of college and teaching LC business will get flustered and mark you zero.

The Chemistry and Biology departments seem to be the only ones doing the best they can with the hand their dealt.

The standard of correcting in general is awful. I checked all my papers last year and not one of them was 100% corrected properly. There was one question on Biology where I had a model definition exactly as it was on the marking scheme and it was marked wrong! I also agree with you about poor Timmy out of teaching college. He shouldn't be let anywhere near Leaving Cert papers.

The standard of correcting in general is awful. I checked all my papers last year and not one of them was 100% corrected properly. There was one question on Biology where I had a model definition exactly as it was on the marking scheme and it was marked wrong! I also agree with you about poor Timmy out of teaching college. He shouldn't be let anywhere near Leaving Cert papers.

Should be retired teachers if anyone, bring some experience to the table, however, common sense is a flower that does ent grow in everyone's garden.

I don't mind getting a paper checked, if there was a good time frame but by the time you have been through the process you have lost your course.

oh and only got the €80 for my grade changes back 12 days ago pretty slow.

Sorry to hear about the Biology, marking a right answer completely wrong is completely negligent, If the work load is to much for them, multiple choice let a machine do it.
    I fell into the dreaded bell curve last year got A2 and my course in the UK specified A1 Biology.

Hope it goes well for ye and all my LC brothers/Sisters in arms this year.

We are all dancing to the tune of the incompetence of senior Irish public servants, better stay in step and get it right then apply through UCAS, USA or EU and get off this sinking ship!

ATE the marking Schemes!!!!! nom! nom! nom! #chasingthoseA's!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

nelly97 wrote: »

For the practical I wouldn't think grade 2 would be high enough of a standard . You needed that for jc .
    But if you keep playing and improving in two years you'd be grand .
    I did it for jc not lc however .

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Sorry it's a bit late but regarding music, loads of girls in my year picked it up in 5th year without doing it for JC and thought all the theory and such was fine but they were already excellent on instruments so were sorted for the practical side. According to my teacher grade 6 on piano is the standard for LC so If you're in grade 2 that could be an issue unless you do all music technology or something, good luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

If you are doing Music, please spend some of the summer going through a JC book and learn basic music theory. Two lads joined my class this year without doing it for JC, and it's slowed down the class so much because they don't know any theory.

Advertisement