Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mastitis in heifer flagging up

Options
  • 01-04-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Heifer flagging up probably calve in next 10 days. Lastnight back left quarter had flagged up a bit bigger than rest so inspected and it was odema not very hard thought she was just coming up.
    Tonight it was a lot bigger and getting harder and a bit of weed seeping out. So milked out about half litre custard like Weed and put in multiject but it's hard to rub in properly as she is flagged with odemia. Put 45 betamox la in hip.
    Just wondering what others do and cure rates.
    I have seen cows cured at this stage but heifer not pushing milk out in volume to flush out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

satstheway wrote: »
    Heifer flagging up probably calve in next 10 days. Lastnight back left quarter had flagged up a bit bigger than rest so inspected and it was odema not very hard thought she was just coming up.
    Tonight it was a lot bigger and getting harder and a bit of weed seeping out. So milked out about half litre custard like Weed and put in multiject but it's hard to rub in properly as she is flagged with odemia. Put 45 betamox la in hip.
    Just wondering what others do and cure rates.
    I have seen cows cured at this stage but heifer not pushing milk out in volume to flush out.

V hard to get heifers like that right again without affecting the quarter long term. 45 betamox is a seriously strong dose, and would def prefer not to inject in the hip, neck all the way here when it's supposed to be in the muscle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

To be honest if its custard like i would treat her but not milk her in that quarter after calving, leave it soak up if you can, could be the most hassle free way of dealing with her. Keep drawing her out and treat with tubes as well as betamox, Tylosin would also help, along with a udder cream such as golden udder to ease the swelling. The vet would be the person to ask in terms of the best treatment for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

V hard to get heifers like that right again without affecting the quarter long term. 45 betamox is a seriously strong dose, and would def prefer not to inject in the hip, neck all the way here when it's supposed to be in the muscle

I'd never go above 30 myself, and usually 15 each side of the neck at that. But yeh, the quarter is unlikely enough to return to full function, and if it does, I've noticed there is a good chance of scc problems down the line. Might be better off to accept her as a 3spinner and just try keep the infection down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Ye 45 ml is a very strong dose.
    Tylo might be best bet for it.
    Try get a tube in if ye can.
    Ye didn't give her the 45ml in one shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Ye 45 ml is a very strong dose.
    Tylo might be best bet for it.
    Try get a tube in if ye can.
    Ye didn't give her the 45ml in one shot?

I'm not a savage altogether she got it in 3 hense the hip neck next time. 45ml is dosage stated for cattle on bottle. Always thought it was a huge amount.
    Thanks for replies. I'll see what she like tomorrow. Anyone dry cow heifers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement