Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Stay or Should I Go

Options
  • 01-04-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I have a tricky decision to make. I have been offered 2 jobs. One in Luxembourg with a large multi-national for good money and another one in Cork with a smaller company but less money (Approx 50% Less). (I'm currently living in Cork).
    The job in Cork would be more interesting even though the money is less, however, I'm stuck on my decision between the following:

a) going to a new place for adventure and more money, but potentially boring job and potentially lonely, or

b) staying in Cork near friends and family, but with less money, but more interesting job.

For some reason, I'm really struggling with this one.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends on the contracts I suppose, but a job can be very stressful if you do not like it and are away from friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Can you afford to live life, meet your goals etc on the smaller salary?

If you can, what exactly is the larger salary affording you?

If you can't, what will you be missing out on?

A lot can be said for an interesting job in itself. In fact, you could try and associate a monetary figure to that and see where it puts you.

For example (and a straightforward one at that), I work in a company where I don't have to wear a suit.

I have had the possibility to leave and work in companies where I earn a bit more but have to dress very smart - I didn't move as would be willing to pay the monetary difference not to have to wear a suit every day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Instinctively, I would say sample the new experience abroad as you said.

But I do have friends that have worked in Luxembourg and let's just say, it's not the most exciting place in the world. In fact they were bored rigid and got out as quick as possible. It's pretty sterile.

I would prob take the Lux job but it depends on how you are fixed in say 12-18 months if you want to come back to Cork.

The question I would ask myself, "If I go for say, 12-18 months, will it damage my ability to find a similar job in Cork if I want to return?"

Having said that, is the Lux job progression? Don't just go abroad for the sake of it. It's got to make sense.

But if you dont go, you will always wonder "what if".

ps. I work abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Indecisive2

But I do have friends that have worked in Luxembourg and let's just say, it's not the most exciting place in the world. In fact they were bored rigid and got out as quick as possible. It's pretty sterile.

When you say that there is not much going on in Luxembourg, do you mean in the way of pubs etc.? Are there no sports or social clubs or any way to meet other people? From a quick google, I can see that there does seem to be some expat groups, but not sure what they might be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

When you say that there is not much going on in Luxembourg, do you mean in the way of pubs etc.? Are there no sports or social clubs or any way to meet other people? From a quick google, I can see that there does seem to be some expat groups, but not sure what they might be like.

My friends worked in large mulitnational law firms based there and also linked in with Brussels.

From memory, they tended to go elsewhere for social scene...Strasbourg springs to mind.

With the transport systmen and it's central location, you shldnt be too far from ex past be it in France, Belgium or Germany.

You can always base yourself near to a university town which should have a more vibrant social scene.

Unless an ex pat in Lux posts here I'm afraid that we are not much help to you on specifics..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Hi All,

I have a tricky decision to make. I have been offered 2 jobs. One in Luxembourg with a large multi-national for good money and another one in Cork with a smaller company but less money (Approx 50% Less). (I'm currently living in Cork).
    The job in Cork would be more interesting even though the money is less, however, I'm stuck on my decision between the following:

a) going to a new place for adventure and more money, but potentially boring job and potentially lonely, or

b) staying in Cork near friends and family, but with less money, but more interesting job.

For some reason, I'm really struggling with this one.

Any help appreciated.
    No brainer for me - take the job in Luxembourg. Apart from anything else, a willingness to work abroad (and learn a new language) looks very good on your CV. You have an EU passport, something a lot of people in the world would kill for - take advantage of it.

At the end of the day, if it doesn't work out, you can always go back to Cork. As mentioned above, if you turn it down, you'll always wonder what might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Go to Luxembourg, if you don't give it a go you will always wonder what if.

Advertisement