Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Questions from a novice mtb,er

Options
  • 01-04-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi could someone recommend a good tyre for ballyhoura as have speed kings on and dont really feel there the job also what is the best pressure to inflate too
    Q2 What pressure should i inflate my forks too as im a heavy rider?
    Q3 Theres a sram cassette on my bike with a shimano hub on the rear wheel if i changed to a shimano cassette would it fit?

Thank you Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

Get some conti trail kings great tyre between 30 and 40 psi. Heavier you are the closer to 40 I would go.

Ask the guys in the bike hut at ballyhoura to set up your fork. There is no right awnser to that question. You will need to get sag and rebound set. Getting a fork set up isnt as easy as a number.

Sram and shimano cassettes and chains are interchangeable. So ya it will work.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Assuming you have tubes in your tyres, use as low pressure as you can get away with without getting too many pinch punctures. 40psi front and rear is a good starting point, you'll probably get away with lower in the front. Experiment - and bring a spare tube!

Air pressure in forks - normal rule of thumb is to set it so that the sag is a quarter of the travel. The sag is the amount the fork will compress when you sit on the bike while stationary. You can probably look up weight/pressure specs online for your fork but I think the above method is better as it doesn't require the gauge on your pump to be accurate.

The above are both dependent on the rider's weight - the heavier the rider, the higher the pressure should be.

Tyres - so many choices, Schwalbe Nobby Nic are a decent all-rounder. You may prefer a bigger thread on the front and a faster-rolling rear, e.g. Racing Ralph.

Advertisement