Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner open water swimmer - advice?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there,
    I'd like to try out some open water swims this summer but don't really know where to start. I've been training for the 'Swim for a Mile' challenge since before Christmas and will be doing it this Friday in about 50 minutes.

I live near Dun Laoghaire in Dublin and am looking for advice on how to get started. Are there any clubs in South Dublin that welcome people starting out in open water swimming?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Our club have an info night on open water sea races next week in the Great Outdoors if you want to come along

8th April @ 7pm

They arent sure which shop it will be in yet but they are within 2 minutes of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mol_89

There are plenty of south Dublin open water clubs around, I know there's a good few open sea races held in Dun Laoghaire aswell. I'd say your best bet would be to take a look at Leinster Open Sea's website or facebook page. Very informative for all levels of sea swimmers! Here is their facebook page, which contains a link to their website:
    https://www.facebook.com/leinsteropensea

Best of luck in the Swim A Mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Freddio wrote: »
    Our club have an info night on open water sea races next week in the Great Outdoors if you want to come along

8th April @ 7pm

They arent sure which shop it will be in yet but they are within 2 minutes of each other

Niall have you not got enough swimmers in Dublin Swim Club:)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

mad m wrote: »
    Niall have you not got enough swimmers in Dublin Swim Club:)

Just to clarify, I'm not Niall.

You can never have enough swimmers if NAC finish at the top of the league by 40 points :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭goldiejam

Dollymount Strand is a nice place to start with open water swimming, you can swim alongside the Bull wall so you are always close to land. Just make sure to go out at high tide though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Carmelkayak

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've had a look at the Leinster Open Sea Swimming website as suggested. It looks like joining a club in the way to go. Its not that easy to find information on where the different clubs train, so I've sent off a few enquiries to clubs that are based in South Dublin.

Advertisement