Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Levelpay discount error/overcharge

Options
  • 01-04-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Not quiet a bargain alert but may save someone a few quid.

I signed up for electric with Bord Gais in March 2013 and went with Levelpay and Paperless Billing for a 10% discount, falling to 5% after 12 months. I subsequently signed up for Tesco rewards.

Last week Electric Ireland called to the door so I pulled my last couple of invoices to check my discount and it was only 5%. On further examination the 10% discount was only applied to my account for the first 5 or 6 months, and discount then reduced to 5%.

I queried this with Bord Gais and called back yesterday to chase. A note had been added to my account saying "Part of Tesco rewards billing error" so it sounds like I'm not the only one effected.

I got a refund of €20. So worth checking those invoices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Thanks must check mine. Easy to overlook things like this with paperless billing

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Same as. Hadn't noticed or queried it though - an apology letter arrived today, same explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Bord Gais should do the right thing and check customers are receiving the correct discounts. Considering all the staff got a bonus cheque for 50k + for doing what was it again? Oh Yeah, nothing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

bmm wrote: »
    Bord Gais should do the right thing and check customers are receiving the correct discounts. Considering all the staff got a bonus cheque for 50k + for doing what was it again? Oh Yeah, nothing!
    wait till centrica take charge of bord gais and its operations here in ireland . dont forget the bord gais price increases that take effect on the 14th of april which is 2 weeks from now . then you will have fun and games indeed .:pac:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/state-will-net-950m-from-bord-gais-sale-30125066.html
    http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/help-and-questions/home/gas/price-change/#question4

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not all staff just those there between a certain time period

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got a letter from them today. They applied tesco points and didnt apply the correct discount for level pay.

They are automatically refunding me €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭Soarer

No doubt you'd hand it back if you were working there. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

Soarer wrote: »
    No doubt you'd hand it back if you were working there. :rolleyes:
    sure its like the banks when you get a late penalty feed incorrectly applied to your acount its still up to you to go to the bloody bank and get it back , the bank wont automaticly refund it back to you .
    on that basis i think bmm is pointing to the matter of bord gais actually checking and making sure that every customer gets their money back and doesnt have to fight for it back .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

signed up to them in January and got first bill few weeks ago. talk about a confusing bill. according to their level pay ill be paying 54 per month taken straight for my account. after i signed up I put over 100€ tesco vouchers on the account but the 54 was still taken from my account. rang them to ask why credit from tesco vouchers wasnt applied and given so spiel that 54 will be taken regardless as this is how level pay works. so I asked were the tesco vouchers useless then and told no it was good to be building up my credit with them. i couldnt fathom it out - whats point in applying vouchers to accoutn if their not being taken off the monthly bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Your account is still in credit with those vouchers, At some point you will get that value for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

Update: I got apology letter in post today explaining the error. But they only corrected up to my January bill. March was still wrong. So make sure they have corrected the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭djdunny

walshy123 wrote: »
    Not quiet a bargain alert but may save someone a few quid.

I signed up for electric with Bord Gais in March 2013 and went with Levelpay and Paperless Billing for a 10% discount, falling to 5% after 12 months. I subsequently signed up for Tesco rewards.

Last week Electric Ireland called to the door so I pulled my last couple of invoices to check my discount and it was only 5%. On further examination the 10% discount was only applied to my account for the first 5 or 6 months, and discount then reduced to 5%.

I queried this with Bord Gais and called back yesterday to chase. A note had been added to my account saying "Part of Tesco rewards billing error" so it sounds like I'm not the only one effected.

I got a refund of €20. So worth checking those invoices.

Pardon my ignorance, does the discount specificially get mentioned on the bill?? or do you have to work it out yourself on the per unit rate?

Cant see any mention of it on my bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

Yes, it should be right after units. Layout should be:

Standing charge
    24 hour units
    Discount
    PSO Levy
    Total excluding VAT

If you are due a 10% discount, then the amount listed on discount line should be 10% of the 24 hour units number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Thanks just checked mine and the 10% was never applied only the 5%. Just sent them an email about it. Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

This is pretty shocking. The very least you should expect is an apology, an immediate refund and a substantial additional financial gesture of goodwill payment.

Maybe you guys should also notify the regulator...

Commission for Energy Regulation (CER)
    The Exchange
    Belgard Square North
    Tallaght
    Dublin 24
    Ireland

Tel: +353 1 4000 800
    Fax: +353 1 4000 850
    E-mail: info@cer.ie

Advertisement