Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soil sample results

Options
  • 01-04-2014 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

What does anyone think? Does this ground need anything in particular

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

P and k looks low doesnt it, could spread 0-10-20 to bring them up. what is the ground in, micro-nutrients look good and high all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

visatorro wrote: »

Needs p&k. I'd go with 18/6/12 for the season. Would be inclined to go with 0/10/20 at the end of the season. Stay away from urea and retest in two yrs. This is one field?

Ph is fine so no lime needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Just P and K, grand for lime. Nice copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

According to the table on page 9 of todays Farming Indo it needs 60 kg P per Ha and 110 kg K per Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭farmernewbie

Lads I had soil results with low potash in all samples. Teagasc guy recommend 0.7.30. But checking prices that seems to be approx €385.
    Would I not be as well off going with 10.10.20. Price around €440.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Lads I had soil results with low potash in all samples. Teagasc guy recommend 0.7.30. But checking prices that seems to be approx €385.
    Would I not be as well off going with 10.10.20. Price around €440.

If it's just the potash you were better with the 0.7.30. If you use the 10.10.20 you will need to put out 1 1/2 times the amount to get the same amount of potash. You will also have about as much as N as half the amount in CAN. Half a tonne of CAN won't cost you €275.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Be careful with too much K early on as it locks up magnesium an drives tetany mad, not so bad for the dairy lads with nuts in the parlor but for sucklers + sheep watch out.

If it's just the potash you were better with the 0.7.30. If you use the 10.10.20 you will need to put out 1 1/2 times the amount to get the same amount of potash. You will also have about as much as N as half the amount in CAN. Half a tonne of CAN won't cost you €275.

Cheers, may go for 0.7.30 and top up with CAN. Have bought this years fert already so will be a job for next year.

Be careful with too much K early on as it locks up magnesium an drives tetany mad, not so bad for the dairy lads with nuts in the parlor but for sucklers + sheep watch out.

Just young weanlings to bullocks is my system. The ground I would be putting this on would be for silage. Presume it wouldn't be a worry then? As I will take a cut of silage off first.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭limerick farmer

3 or 4 thousand gallons of slurry to the acre would be the cheapest way out if you had it.

• Advertisement

3 or 4 thousand gallons of slurry to the acre would be the cheapest way out if you had it.

Slurry is great for an instant hit but doesn't have the power to last in the soil IMO. The bag really can't be beaten along with slurry.
    Now dung on the other hand is really powerful

I wish I had but no shed unfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Slurry is great for an instant hit but doesn't have the power to last in the soil IMO. The bag really can't be beaten along with slurry.
    Now dung on the other hand is really powerful

Serious stuff. K on the floor here a few yrs ago. Only spread dung spring and autumn along with some pasture sward and its index 3 now

Serious stuff. K on the floor here a few yrs ago. Only spread dung spring and autumn along with some pasture sward and its index 3 now

I've a lot of dung here but find it really hard to find a window to spread it. When do you spread? I was hoping to spread after silage. Do you spread after grazing? We used to grow beet, maize and kale and ploughed it in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

I've a lot of dung here but find it really hard to find a window to spread it. When do you spread? I was hoping to spread after silage. Do you spread after grazing? We used to grow beet, maize and kale and ploughed it in

Always feel just before reseeding is as good a time as any, and til it in. Only other option for getting it on grazing ground is after final grazing in the fall, but then ur up against closed periods etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Have about 150t spread already on 16 ac.that's due to be reseeded
    Usually spread it on the dry fields after first grazing in spring. To wet this year so a lot is still in the yard. Silage ground would get a a lot too in march most yrs but too wet this year.

We have pit here that gets filled up with ****ty dung off passages over winter.
    When that's empty we empty sheds out into it and spread in September time while its still dry.
    Savage stuff to grow grass over winter.

Have two 5 bay lean twos here with about 4-5 ft of dung in it that's been shipped out to rented ground thus year as it was so neglected by the previous tenants.

Lad I know spread dung on kale ground before he sows it and says it turned back up the next year. Said it was a disaster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

18.6.12 is one of the best ferts there is I think. its supposed to be a very good price this year aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Always feel just before reseeding is as good a time as any, and til it in. Only other option for getting it on grazing ground is after final grazing in the fall, but then ur up against closed periods etc

Closed period for FYM is 1Nov, if your closing from early Oct then time to have enough ground avalaible. The crows will do a good job on it over the winter, about the only thing the fcukers are good for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭visatorro

Needs p&k. I'd go with 18/6/12 for the season. Would be inclined to go with 0/10/20 at the end of the season. Stay away from urea and retest in two yrs. This is one field?

Ph is fine so no lime needed.

Yeah one field reseeded two years ago. What's the story with manganese?? I was reading the bolus I bought for the cows doesn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Sami23

f140 wrote: »
    18.6.12 is one of the best ferts there is I think. its supposed to be a very good price this year aswell.

Replenish not bad either. (18-2.5-14 +2 Sulpher + trace elements)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

f140 wrote: »

Go one better. 10:10:20
    Nothing beats it, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Remember too the difference between Units of fertiliser and Kgs. A 50 Kg bag of 18-6-12 contains 9kg N, 3Kg P & 6 Kg of K.
    Units come from the old system of CWTs. One CWT was 112 LB or 50.8 Kg.
    Units were % points. So 18-6-12 was
    18% N
    6% P
    12% K

18% N would be 18% of a CWT equal to 9 Kg of Nitrogen per small 50Kg bag. (50.8 x 18% = 9.14 Kg)

Round Bale wrote: »
    Go one better. 10:10:20
    Nothing beats it, I reckon.

a little low in N imo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have about 150t spread already on 16 ac.that's due to be reseeded
    Usually spread it on the dry fields after first grazing in spring. To wet this year so a lot is still in the yard. Silage ground would get a a lot too in march most yrs but too wet this year.

We have pit here that gets filled up with ****ty dung off passages over winter.
    When that's empty we empty sheds out into it and spread in September time while its still dry.
    Savage stuff to grow grass over winter.

Have two 5 bay lean twos here with about 4-5 ft of dung in it that's been shipped out to rented ground thus year as it was so neglected by the previous tenants.

Lad I know spread dung on kale ground before he sows it and says it turned back up the next year. Said it was a disaster

I'm doing that here and have no problems. I stack mine for about 3-6 months first though. Was he spreading it straight out of the shed by any chance?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Do you mind me asking where did you get this test done and how much it cost as I am thinking of getting a sample done with the trace elements also ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Bulmers Original

What's the PH level of BOG land any one know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭visatorro

Sami23 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where did you get this test done and how much it cost as I am thinking of getting a sample done with the trace elements also ?

Oldcastle Labs. I think it was 70 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Oldcastle Labs. I think it was 70 euro

I got it done through agri consultants for €25, mightened of been trace elements

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What's the PH level of BOG land any one know?
    It is usually acidic, below 7.0, can be as low as 5.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Got test result back today, P was a disaster came in at 0.9 Any opinions on whether I should go with Phosphorus now or wait til back end ?
    Also this field is peaty clay which would be wet enough in winter time, could this be the reason for such low P ?

Advertisement