Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes (Jetland) old express checkout gone?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why?

I know the last trolley checkout number 22 or something now has a little sign saying something like 12 items or less but I'm doubtful that people are properly adhering to that:rolleyes:.

The old express checkout was good in the sense that usually multiple people can be handled concurrently (and with up to 3 cashiers on e.g. during Christmas peek time) which was a relief when you have someone fumbling around with their debit card or pennies:). Plus because of its physical layout people would intuitively think that it's not for trolleys!

Cost savings I guess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Hopefully they are looking to bring in self service. It's so muh handier now to go to tesco if your just popping in for a few small bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Midnight Shadow

It does not look like self service on the way....the space where express was located is already stocked up with goods on offer...and I do not think Dunnes have self service in any of their stores.

Now even more people looking for a "few bits" will head towards Customer Service desk to checkout. And it is always so slow there already!!! It is now the only checkout where people can buy cigarettes and lotto now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Supposedly Dunnes will never bring in self service because it goes against their values of customer service, or so I've heard....

Already an awful shop to shop in if you ask me. Hate the place!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Supposedly Dunnes will never bring in self service because it goes against their values of customer service, or so I've heard....

Already an awful shop to shop in if you ask me. Hate the place!

Somebody high up there with a nasty sense of humour!
    Their check-out staff are always miserable! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Patrick Street in Cork has self service checkouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

so does Jetland now - all in place and the staff on training there this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Somebody high up there with a nasty sense of humour!
    Their check-out staff are always miserable!

I think that's a bit harsh to be honest.
    I'm shopping there for years and I always find the check-out staff friendly, helpful and anything but miserable.

Honestly.....I don't know where you came up with that?

I have no affiliations with Jetland or anyone working in Dunnes by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

customer service?? its got better but I've had a right few doozies in our time shopping in the jetland, once had to have a manager do our checkout due to the rude checkout lady

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What kills me about the Dunnes checkouts is the lack of open checkouts at times. They are happy to have a few open and allow long queues to form. Whereas in Tesco as soon as a queue starts forming at a checkout they open up another checkout immediately. Seems to be standard practice whatever store I go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya Lidl and aldi are the same. If the queue gets to a certain point they open another till straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

tippman1 wrote: »
    I think that's a bit harsh to be honest.
    I'm shopping there for years and I always find the check-out staff friendly, helpful and anything but miserable.

I was speaking in general terms. Some of my friends have worked in the Jetland and they try their best to be enthusiastic/friendly, but you can often see the dissatisfaction on faces behind tills.
    tippman1 wrote: »
    Honestly.....I don't know where you came up with that?

I have no affiliations with Jetland or anyone working in Dunnes by the way.

It's not a Jetland thing, it's Dunnes shops in general. Same on Henry St. or Childers' Road. You can feel it in the atmosphere that people don't really want to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Apparently there moving customer service as we'll down to the end so I heard today they took 2 checkouts out there as we'll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Dunnes is the place that fights with it's staff over where they park. Is it any wonder that the same staff are miserable in work?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

I was in Jetland a few evenings ago and they have a few self service checkouts installed. They had a guy training about 15 of the staff in how to use them.
    To me Dunnes Jetland is the worst for lack of open checkouts and long queues so hopefully this will help speed things up.
    I do like Dunnes Jetland covered car park in the winter tho when its pi$$in rain outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

jetland is a flop, half the units there are empty

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Got stuck behind half a dozen people trying to use those. Painful.

On a similar note... Unexpected item in bagging area?! It's a bag! How did you not expect that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

fryup wrote: »
    jetland is a flop, half the units there are empty

Don't think that is purely down to demand, but difficulties securing terms with landlord.
    I always use the jetland, so handy and a great selection in Dunnes. Used the self service yesterday and was fine. Exact same as tesco really

Advertisement