Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on bucket rearing calves

Options
  • 01-04-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

5 in calf cows went down in recent TB test. 3 calved in the week following the test and two are due to calve any day. Looks like the three that have calved will be taken at the weekend so I am looking for advice on how to rear these calves from then on. I will also be left with the two other cows until they calve and a week after that.
    So I will have three calves at almost a month old and hopefully two others a week old. Was thinking of getting one the teat feeders as a start. What kind of milk replacer would suit best? Will it be pure hardship trying to get the older calves to drink from the feeder?
    Calves are CHX btw.
    Appreciate all advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

Parishlad wrote: »
    5 in calf cows went down in recent TB test. 3 calved in the week following the test and two are due to calve any day. Looks like the three that have calved will be taken at the weekend so I am looking for advice on how to rear these calves from then on. I will also be left with the two other cows until they calve and a week after that.
    So I will have three calves at almost a month old and hopefully two others a week old. Was thinking of getting one the teat feeders as a start. What kind of milk replacer would suit best? Will it be pure hardship trying to get the older calves to drink from the feeder?
    Calves are CHX btw.
    Appreciate all advice!

Was just about to say dd
    Cas lots of mad lads there to buy beef calves
    But daaa
    Try them with something sweet for a time or two first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I find older calves easier to train to a teat feeder had a few late or unexpected calvers over the years and found a mad 2 week old calf up the mountain with the dry cows
    Or a cow that calves just before Christmas and I'm wondering where she met the bull and she shouldn't be due tell Feb so l let her calf with her a few weeks rather than start the parlor twice a day for one cow.
    When the calf is hungry just push him up to teat feeder and place his mouth around nipple if you can get a bottle feeder its handy to start them off for the first feed so they don't think your trying to kill them.
    I also find if one calf is drinking he helps train the others

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

djmc wrote: »
    I find older calves easier to train to a teat feeder had a few late or unexpected calvers over the years and found a mad 2 week old calf up the mountain with the dry cows
    Or a cow that calves just before Christmas and I'm wondering where she met the bull and she shouldn't be due tell Feb so l let her calf with her a few weeks rather than start the parlor twice a day for one cow.
    When the calf is hungry just push him up to teat feeder and place his mouth around nipple if you can get a bottle feeder its handy to start them off for the first feed so they don't think your trying to kill them.
    I also find if one calf is drinking he helps train the others

Thanks dj. I presume something like Golden Maverick is what I should be trying them on along with ad lib hay and calf crunch. How long roughly would I keep them on the milk replacer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Parishlad wrote: »
    Thanks dj. I presume something like Golden Maverick is what I should be trying them on along with ad lib hay and calf crunch. How long roughly would I keep them on the milk replacer?

i say keep them on the milk replacer for at least 3 months and then gradually

introduce more ad hay and calf crunch.

Advertisement