Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tyre advice?

Options
  • 31-03-2014 11:48pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The last 3 times I have gone cycling I have gotten a puncture in my rear wheel, todays is right where there is a small cut in the tyre, I'd say I have to replace it and most likely the front too while I'm at it.
    They have currently gone 2100km.

Anybody have any experience with the cheaper tyres on chaincyclereactions as money is a serious issue atm.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vittoria-rubino-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod31768
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/michelin-world-tour-bike-tyre/rp-prod20463

Any recommendations? Preferably cheap but not so bad that they will be no better than what I have!

Also, my size is 700x25c, but a lot of these tyres would be 23c 28c or whatever, would any of these fit?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The Michelins are very likely to be too big.

Have never used the Rubinos, but Vittoria is generally pretty reliable. 23c should fit no problem. 28c or larger probably will be too wide.

I've used these for about 4,000km with only one puncture when I basically cycled a LOT of glass. Bit more expensive but they are an excellent value tyre, and they come in 25c width.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod109595

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks they look good to me. I go over very rough road on my commute so they sound like a better option.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What are your current tyres? 2100km is a pretty awful life-span. Are you pumping them up to the right pressure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

The zaffiro's are imo the best budget tyre out there. Gives a little bit of a hard feedback from a rough surface and can be tough to get onto certain rims but you shouldnt be removing them too often as they are excellent at resisteing punctures.
    Br careful in the wet though s they can be a bit 'unstable'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What are your current tyres? 2100km is a pretty awful life-span. Are you pumping them up to the right pressure?
    For the first 8 months or so, no punctures whatsoever, now I get them all the time.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...40965#features
    Specialized Espoir Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700×25c
    psi 110-125

I pump them to 120, so bang in the middle of the recommendation.
    bcmf wrote: »
    The zaffiro's are imo the best budget tyre out there. Gives a little bit of a hard feedback from a rough surface and can be tough to get onto certain rims but you shouldnt be removing them too often as they are excellent at resisteing punctures.
    Great, sounds good to me. I go quite slowly when it's wet anyway.
    The snazzy red ones match my bike anyway heh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 andrewm79

I had the rubino pro's on my bike previously but have recently gone for the corsa here is a link below

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIOCECXII/vittoria-open-corsa-evo-cx-folding-tyre

The TPI is a great guide to preventing punctures. The only issue with the corsas though is that they wont last as long as the rubino pros but I have around 1000km up on them so far and so far so good. Plus they arent too expensive if you dont mind the yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I did c. 7000km last year on a set of 23mm Rubinios - no punctures.

I currently have 28mm Zaffiros (a little too big for the rear wheel TBH) - about 2000 and still aok.

I keep them at around 110psi and me at 72kg. I haven't ntoiced any particular problems with them in the wet (other than on metal shores) but that may be cos I'm going too slow.

Is there something stuck inside the tyre that's causing repeat punctures. You could try repair the little cuts with superglue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 conorpass

I have been riding Bontrager hardcase (700x25) for the last 3 years, commuting daily all year round, and no punctures. I get between 7,000-9,000 kms from them. The only criticism is that grip in the wet isn't brilliant but my priority is to avoid punctures and I can't fault them on that score.
    Link here http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/race-lite-hardcase-tyre-ec001737

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Is there something stuck inside the tyre that's causing repeat punctures. You could try repair the little cuts with superglue.

I had a week old set of Marathon Plus tyres and got a really bad puncture on the rear. There was nothing in it and I did the super glue thing. I had three more punctures in a week :/

As much as it hurt, being a new tyre, I had to throw it away and got a new one. No issues since!

Maybe if the hole is significant even the sharpness of some of the tarmac will penetrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

andrewm79 wrote: »
    I had the rubino pro's on my bike previously but have recently gone for the corsa here is a link below

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIOCECXII/vittoria-open-corsa-evo-cx-folding-tyre

The TPI is a great guide to preventing punctures. The only issue with the corsas though is that they wont last as long as the rubino pros but I have around 1000km up on them so far and so far so good. Plus they arent too expensive if you dont mind the yellow

Open Corsa are a great fast tyre. The high TPI will tell you that the tyre is more supple and should have a lower rolling resistance and thus roll faster, but won't help you in avoid punctures. I'd race on those tires, wouldn't be too keen on using them for commuting or training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

i use verdestein Tri comp & keep about 120 pressure in them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I currently have 28mm Zaffiros (a little too big for the rear wheel TBH) - about 2000 and still aok.

I keep them at around 110psi and me at 72kg

Is that not a bit on the high side for 28mm? I run 100/110 front back on my 25mms Durano plus and a 75/85 on my 32mms Marathon supremes (I'm 85k at the moment). Only two punctures over the last three years, but they're both puncture resistant tyres and more expensive than anything listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

bcmf wrote: »

I'm gonna second this, Zaffiros and Rubinos all around. I have a pair of rubinos on the commuter that are really cut to sh!t and have only had one puncture in them. Used Zaffiros on road bike for months with no punctures.

I do pump tires to 120 every journey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I use Panaracer Ribmos on two of my bikes and Schwalbe Marathon Plus on the beater/commuter.

The Ribmos are pretty good as I've never got 'ordinary' punctures on them but their weakness seems to be the side wall. I've destroyed two with tears in the sidewall from debris at night.

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus are bomb proof. 18,000 puncture free kms on the current pair and that's with a lot of city centre and night riding on unlit rural roads.

(Both tyres are expensive though - circa. €40 each.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Briando wrote: »
    Open Corsa are a great fast tyre. The high TPI will tell you that the tyre is more supple and should have a lower rolling resistance and thus roll faster, but won't help you in avoid punctures. I'd race on those tires, wouldn't be too keen on using them for commuting or training.

Have been using the Corsas on my road bike the last 2 years, can count the number of punctures I've had on one hand. Love them. My husband uses the tubs for training and likes them too.

Specialized have a tyre amnesty on just now. Copied from Cycleways Facebook page:

Tyre Amnesty Time - March 29th until April 30th -

Bring in your old tyre from any brand and you can get a new Specialized tyre from the list below for the super low price.

Purgatory Control 26X2.3 - Was €37 - Now €26
    Purgatory Control 29X2.3 - Was €37 - Now €26
    Ground Control 26X2.1 - Was €37 - Now €26
    Ground Control 29X2.1 - Was €37 - Now €26
    SW Turbo Tread 700X24 - Was €62 - Now €38
    SW Turbo Tread 700X26 - Was €62 - Now €38
    New All-Condition Armadillo Elite II 700X23 - Was €45 - Now €32

I did c. 7000km last year on a set of 23mm Rubinios - no punctures.

I keep them at around 110psi and me at 72kg. I haven't ntoiced any particular problems with them in the wet (other than on metal shores) but that may be cos I'm going too slow.

I'll try the superglue thing for now, cuts are definitely an issue, it's the rough roads not teh tyres fault i'd say. Punctures are happening at different locatiosn and I can't find anything wrong.
    I had a week old set of Marathon Plus tyres and got a really bad puncture on the rear. There was nothing in it and I did the super glue thing. I had three more punctures in a week :/

As much as it hurt, being a new tyre, I had to throw it away and got a new one. No issues since!

Maybe if the hole is significant even the sharpness of some of the tarmac will penetrate?
    Yep i think the road surface is actually causing punctures at this stage, shocking surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'll try the superglue thing for now, cuts are definitely an issue, it's the rough roads not teh tyres fault i'd say. Punctures are happening at different locatiosn and I can't find anything wrong.

Yep i think the road surface is actually causing punctures at this stage, shocking surface.

Only use a little bit of glue, don't fill the hole otherwise you have a lump of solid glue that might cause a puncture.

It was defo the hole/road surface in my case btw. On the third puncture, I was near a bike shop and asked for a new tyre. It was the fella in there who was changing the tyre that told me the hole was enough cause further punctures from a bad road surface.

This was my post at the time.

Advertisement