Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calves then sell at 10 months

Options
  • 31-03-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi all,

Trying something new this year. Buying in calves 4 weeks old this month to sell in end of Oct 2014. Angus calves.

Question, whats the best method to produce the best results before Oct sale (feed methods)? What weights should I expect? Quickest way to get out to grass?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

They would want to be early calves bought in at good value getting a shake of ration all summer on very good grass and at that cattle prices would want to be good for you to cover your costs not to mention make a profit selling at ten months

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It would be hard to make any profit at that type of system. Keep them for at least 20 months if ya can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Gilroy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Trying something new this year. Buying in calves 4 weeks old this month to sell in end of Oct 2014. Angus calves.

Question, whats the best method to produce the best results before Oct sale (feed methods)? What weights should I expect? Quickest way to get out to grass?

Thanks all.

Do you plan to suck them on cows over the summer or bucket rear..
    If your thinking of bucket rearing and selling them at 10 months I think you'll struggle..
    Your keeping them through their slowest growth period and most expensive period,.. They will be just getting ready to grow a bit when you sell them..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

Have to agree with the above posts, most work and expense with least return, would you not be better getting animals 8/9 months old and then selling if you want to sell by oct, one sick calf could end up wiping out your very small profit,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Hi all,

Thanks all.

The fellow buying them will do well!

• Advertisement

Indeed.
    You take all the risk, all the expense, the twice daily feeds and the scours. Next fella will get all the growth with FA work.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

True, but are not the others fellas further up the value chain ALSO losing as well with the current beef prices??
    OP how many are you planning on buying? No matter what system you have now it's all about cost control.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Gilroy

Ok all, thanks for the comments but here is the deal. Yes i know i have the potential to lose if i dont follow the right programme. But i bet there is good farmers out there with a proven system such as direct meal feeding from 8 weeks onwards of 2kg ration per day etc...

Cost will be a problem, the main aim of the game is to put as much condition onto the Calves as possible over these 8 / 10 months.

Example, the local mart sold LMX weanlings 8 months old weighting 270kg for €650.... It can be done....

bbam wrote: »
    Do you plan to suck them on cows over the summer or bucket rear..
    If your thinking of bucket rearing and selling them at 10 months I think you'll struggle..
    Your keeping them through their slowest growth period and most expensive period,.. They will be just getting ready to grow a bit when you sell them..

Bucket rear for 7 weeks then straight to grass with meal ration.....

True, but are not the others fellas further up the value chain ALSO losing as well with the current beef prices??
    OP how many are you planning on buying? No matter what system you have now it's all about cost control.

I agree, cost control is key and i bet there are farmers that have there calve rearing enterprise down to the last cent... Plus making a good profit on quality calves such as Angus, Charolais etc

• Advertisement

Bucket rear for 7 weeks then straight to grass with meal ration.....

We've reared lots of calves... Your going to struggle to break even !
    You should be thinking of keeping them for the winter, even if that means having less stock. You'll be shocked how slowly they grow for the initial months.

Advertisement