Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to use on oil/matt oak floors

Options
  • 31-03-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

We are finding it very difficult to keep new floors clean. They are engineered oak with oiled/matt finish - very natural and raw looking but getting filthy. Regular mop is not keeping them clean and Ive been told not use use a steam mop. any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DenisCork

tricky99 wrote: »
    We are finding it very difficult to keep new floors clean. They are engineered oak with oiled/matt finish - very natural and raw looking but getting filthy. Regular mop is not keeping them clean and Ive been told not use use a steam mop. any recommendations?
    I had the same problem with a floor I put down in my living room before Christmas. It's a dark floor that constantly looked dusty/dirty. I gave it a couple of coats of Osmo oil in satin matt and it looks great now. It still looks like an oiled floor just not as raw looking.

Regular mopping or a steam mop will destroy your floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tricky99

thanks for that. I suppose it would be no harm to oil again - I put a coat on them as soon as they were laid. where you get osmo oil - was it expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DenisCork

tricky99 wrote: »
    thanks for that. I suppose it would be no harm to oil again - I put a coat on them as soon as they were laid. where you get osmo oil - was it expensive?

I got it in pat mcdonnell paints. I used satin matt finish. You'll probably need to give it a light sanding and wipe with white spirit first. It's a good idea to keep air moving over the floor as it dries.

Advertisement