Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Killing Season 4 (Use Spoilers)

Options
  • 31-03-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭

The 6 episode final and 4th season will air on Netflix and will revolve around a
    murder at a military school

Joan Allen and Frances Fisher will co star

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw the title and thought 'Forbrydelsen?!'. Cue sadness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Looks good. I hope they've given up the format of:
    Episode 1 => It's definitely that guy. All the evidence points to him. Wait no.
    Episode 2 => It's definitely that other guy. All the evidence points to him. Wait no.
    Episode 3 => It's definitely that other guy. All the evidence points to him. Wait no.
    Repeat.

Season 3 didn't do it too much, but still had it the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

expect cursing lots of cursing, really looking forward to this, it will be nice to see what kind of restrictions will be lifted now that netflix have more of a say than AMC,

http://tvline.com/2014/07/04/the-killing-netflix-cursing-holder-season-4/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just in case anyone missed this, the final 7 episodes have dropped yesterday on Netflix, haven't gotten around to starting it myself but looking forward to it, while it's seriously flawed I have a serious soft spot for this show and I'm glad it's getting a proper ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm going to binge this later today.

As has been stated it has it flaws, but Mireille Enos & Joel Kinnaman performances make up for those flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Closure.

Nicely done and the show comes full circle.

I think it probably could have ended 10 minutes earlier but that just nip picking.

As this isn't a spoiler thread I won't add any more other than I am glad Netflix picked it up and gave the show an ending it deserved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That last 10 minutes was just like
    'WTF'... Totally unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Please be careful with spoilers....

(If you haven't watched this season, I recommend that you stay out of this thread until you have).

• Advertisement

Reasonable effort I suppose - as someone above said this show has always had some flaws.
    It's the sort of show that could have been a good bit better if there were more of the good bits - a better job could have been done over the seasons of the show.
    The 10 minute epilogue was hackneyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

I can't believe that ending....... Just terrible.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I really enjoyed that season......up until the final few minutes. Whoever made the decision to go that way made a really bad judgement call.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Three episodes in and we've got two running stories -
    the new case, which relates to the military academy for boys and then the repercussions of the death of the Lt. Generally, the show is back as before, loneliness, guilt, stillness, the Linden/Holder banter, specifically Holder's general take on life and pop culture references, which are quality. There are a few nods to season 3. It's watchable, but not necessarily compelling storytelling, so same as before, in ways. The main subplot is Holder's about to become a daddy with Jewel Staite.

4.03 is perhaps the best so far. They finally gave Joan Allen a little more to do, even then, it's not a lot. The military academy stuff is not anything new and there's one or two little entitled, bullying arseholes in there. In 4.01 and 4.02, it was Linden who was told 'keep your **** together', and her mental state was also represented by her punching mirror. In 4.03, this mantra takes a 180 as it's Holder who is crumbling. This is largely manifest in his being a complete dick to his sister (in front of his niece and nephew) who rightly calls him on it. Then he falls back on stuff that goes up his nose whilst Linden gets rid of more evidence from year 3.

4.04 & 4.05

At times the show is at its best when it's not following the main story and investigation, though there a couple of key exceptions -
    Reddick talking to the Mrs. Lt, Joan Allen's Colonel vs. Linden in interrogation. The character beats seem generally well-earned, however sometimes they seem to be in danger of undoing the good work. Some scene mirroring going on again. Side note - I see Linden was doing her best on her application for mother of the year award whilst Holder was doing his bit for community relations. Flip side is she has a good chat her son and he finds solace in church.

The Linden/Holder relationship can be so on and off, at each other's throats. Part of that is down to the walls closing in. It's testing my patience a little bit. I mean, could they try not to be arseholes sometimes? We also had a nod to the pilot with the prey being hunted. Now, in the back half of 5 we have some sort of quasi-conspiracy bollocks in the military academy - feels a little desperate.

Load up on psychos and bring your friends...
    Throwback to the pilot and a few other moments in the show. Confessions and tortured souls abound here. Main story is wrapped up about half way through. Remaining portion, we know how institutions protect themselves above all else. The Deputy Commissioner. If I say Deputy ****ing Ops is that also Wire-esque?

The grumblings about the finale 10 minutes are probably well-founded. I think they're going to be divisive. Until then, it was probably about right. Had they not tacked it on, it would have been right for this version of Sarah - driven, stubborn, isolated, prone to neglect self-care and burning her bridges, and until the epilogue Holder had a solid ending, too. In the main, the show probably resides somewhere on a sliding scale between average and good, occasionally very good. It can be a tad head scratching as it's not always clear if makes up its mind about what it's trying to do. Hard to fault the acting of the two leads, mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

I'm on s4 ep 3 ...it's not the greatest

how did it 9s on imdb..only worth a 6 so far

time to kill it off after this

Advertisement