Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushed out of job - I don't know what to do

Options
  • 31-03-2014 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi

So i joined a company 15 months ago as a junior. As it turned out in this job I had an immediate flair, I got on well with everyone, I was sent to the states multiple times and the clients wanted me to play the most active part (lets say of my section) on a big enterprise project.
    So for 6 months (up until a month ago) my direct manager left for maternity leave. She has been in the company for 8-9 years - late 20's.
    So while she was away I was given 2 project promotions and given HUGE responsibility (all with the go ahead of my said manager)

So she comes back, and everything changes.
    I have been demoted without been told, my job been given to someone removed from the project i'm working on at the beginning for being such an ass, and it was asked by other employees that he not be introduced due to known issues in his may of dealing with people, lets just say he isn't very popular and doesn't really understand the meaning of respect.
    Anyways, he got my job, my manager didn't tell me, i heard it from a third party, I am been left out of meetings on purpose with comments such as "Why weren't you there, i told you" (when i was able to prove she didn't.) She is systematically excluding me, but in the nicest way possible, with a smile on her face.
    In the mean time I've been stripped of the most menial jobs, ones of which i took for granted. Ones that I did very well and was a result of the over all success of the project since she was away. I have to ask her permission now to do everything.....
    I've literally been left twiddling my thumbs.
    However before her return it was decided I would be involved in a new aspect to the project, which is mission critical stuff, the client asked for me personally to manage this as they felt I was the most suited to it. (They don't want my manager, as she has a track record of not being very good in producing what is needed, and cuts corners).
    So i'm actually here in the states, on a layover. Feel like it was a relief not to be in the office with my dictator of a manager. Meetings have been arranged based around my time here, just for me and one other colleague. She has said today she wants to sit in ALL meetings (remotely, she wasn't invited), and does not want to miss any. Meaning, i'm once again surplus to requirements I'm stuck here for 2 weeks, If i say X she will argue Y with me, just because she can. I feel like i'm suffocating. Is this a genuine issue? Or where do stand. Please help....
    There is much more to this, but this is the basis of it......
    i'm being pushed out of my job, one that I loved.
    Is this constructive dismissal? I'm looking for a new job anyways as a direct result, i'm miserable as a direct result......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You need to get HR and Senior staff involved now as soon as possible. Accept written instructions only from this manager so as to have a written and verifiable account of all requirements to cover yourself in the event of accusations of omissions at work.

Get a written account of all requirements of your duties and assignments and deliverables and your track record to date.

Even your request for written records and involving outside people with power such as HR and a senior manager might be enough to stop this dysfunctional behaviour.

If not you might have to engage the services of NERA or a labour relations solicitor.

Until you have 2 yrs done you have very little protection under Irish law so you may need to be very careful until the magic 2 yr stage is reached.

It is a matter of being defensive and protecting your job until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭jenjoeful

Ok first of all, thank you for your response.
    Now what your saying makes sense, except, within my company that wouldnt work. I've had my HR manager already inadvertently trty to explain the actions of my manager (where she admitted it was discussed) that she is doing it for the best of the project (using manager's words) . But we both kind of knew that it was BS, and it was to regain control and retain her importance (which was never and shouldn't ever be a threat to her)

It's nuts!!!
    But it's a small company, my managers word is gospel, I have no hope. I've thought long and hard about all of it. And my only option is to find a new job asap. Highlighting it and kicking up will only hurt me. It will effect the project and have a very negative ripple effect as I was very respected and had a very positive input (unlike my mgr), so effectively, it is only herself it will hurt....

I'm in the states for for a couple of weeks, she will be (it has arisen today) calling the shots from Ireland, I will be completely surplus to requirements, making me feel very inadequate. I hope it is picked up on my other team members. But for now, i'll bite my tongue and keep and account of events.
    But as long as i Know i'm not being a drama queen..... cause i do think something bad is going on here.,...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

jenjoeful wrote: »
    Now what your saying makes sense, except, within my company that wouldnt work. I've had my HR manager already inadvertently trty to explain the actions of my manager (where she admitted it was discussed) that she is doing it for the best of the project (using manager's words) . But we both kind of knew that it was BS, and it was to regain control and retain her importance (which was never and shouldn't ever be a threat to her)

It's nuts!!!
    But it's a small company, my managers word is gospel, I have no hope. I've thought long and hard about all of it. And my only option is to find a new job asap. Highlighting it and kicking up will only hurt me. It will effect the project and have a very negative ripple effect as I was very respected and had a very positive input (unlike my mgr), so effectively, it is only herself it will hurt....

I'm in the states for for a couple of weeks, she will be (it has arisen today) calling the shots from Ireland, I will be completely surplus to requirements, making me feel very inadequate. I hope it is picked up on my other team members. But for now, i'll bite my tongue and keep and account of events.
    But as long as i Know i'm not being a drama queen..... cause i do think something bad is going on here.,...

The client asked for you. Not her. You are at a meeting with them. Not her. Smile and say "yes boss" but put your point across firmly and the client will likely listen to you. Just be brave. If you are gonna get another job anyway, what is there to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

jenjoeful wrote: »
    This to me sounds like you didn't listen. It comes across in your own words that you are assuming you know what was going on in the HR person's mind. You are saying your initial thoughts are correct and have been confirmed by somebody who did say that but you felt was saying that. That to me is not listening.

You may have legitimate concerns but you also have to understand you now have a manager you didn't have before so you were always going to lose your autonomy. You only had it on a temporary basis while she was out so while you have become accustomed to it you were never entitled to it.

You obviously dealt with her boss before I suggest if it really bothers you talk to them. Explain how you felt you were capable at your job and excelled in it while she was not there. On her return you feel you are being micromanaged and no longer able to preform to the best of your ability and overall the company is looing out on performance.

What you may not be expecting which is a strong possibility is that they won't see it that way. You may not know of the other duties your boss carries out or what other people were doing covering her work. While they may have been very happy with your performance they may not have thought you capable of everything or let things slide with them taking up slack.

In order to do her job the manager may need to be fully informed and doesn't feel you give her the updates she needs. From your description there is some hostility between you so I could believe you were not keeping her informed as she would like.

You could be 100% right and her boss agrees.

Ultimately are you going to fight for the job you loved or just leave. You don't have to have screaming arguments to fight for your position but you do have to be careful in how you approach so that is the case.

I have seen similar problems with people returning from maternity leave. Normally it is not the returning manager that is the problem rather the person who loses control on their return. Even if the returning manager isn't as good as the temp it doesn't matter. You can't fire somebody because while they were away you found a person who was better. It would be just a unfair aspect of maternity leave if you did. I do think it can be unfair on the person who acted in the role especially if they were better.

In saying that I have seen manager flip out after being away for two weeks and the person in charge did something differently to them.

Advertisement