Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SpiderOak - Unlimited computer backup [Rock-solid privacy] [World Backup Day only]

Options
  • 31-03-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭

Limits are like rules. They are made to be broken.

So what if there weren't any limits? What if we gave you infinite GBs? Would you back up all your Frank Zappa albums? Or the entire Wong Fei Hung film series? Perhaps you would store a digital copy of every photo you have ever taken... Whatever the case may be, now you can have unlimited storage for just $125/year!

In honor of World Backup Day, this offer will be available to all rule-breaking, GB-guzzling souls until 3/31/14, 23:59 CDT.

Basically, you can backup as much as you want, including external drives and more, to SpiderOak, for $125 per year. It works out around €91.

SpiderOak are praised by the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) for their privacy and technology use, and they offer a No-Knowledge Privacy service, so there can be no snooping from the company, the authorities, or anyone else. Only you can see it.

--

Visit: https://spideroak.com/user/billing/order?promo=unlimitedbackup
    Click 100GB, then hit 'Yearly'. Select 'Unlimited'.
    Job done.

It's taken at once, but it is a bloody good offer for such a trusted service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Do you know if separate PC's can have separate backup folders? ie. so that different data doesn't get thrown into one root folder and make a mess?

If so then i'm going to purchase... will have a look myself to see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

If you mean, can you select varying folders: yes.

From a review site:
    SpiderOak [has] a complete package of services, including backup, file sharing, remote access and storage of any files designated by the user PLUS sync'ing of selected folders.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/drop-the-box-spideroaks-syncbackup-service-does-more-costs-less-62163887.html

I meant that each device has it's own root folder, which it does.

Now the only problem I see is that, when the software is installed and logged in, any PC can see any other PC's files - I really don't want this :( ie. I have 2 devices, X & Y. On the PC software, once logged in, all devices are listed (ie. an Admin role/style)

What I wanted was just for each PC to be able to see it's own files. This means that X can see Y's backed up files.

Going to e-mail them to see if there's a way around this ie. a 'lite' application or so

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Basically, you can backup as much as you want, including external drives and more, to SpiderOak, for $125 per year. It works out around €91.

SpiderOak are praised by the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) for their privacy and technology use, and they offer a No-Knowledge Privacy service, so there can be no snooping from the company, the authorities, or anyone else. Only you can see it.

--

Visit: https://spideroak.com/user/billing/order?promo=unlimitedbackup
    Click 100GB, then hit 'Yearly'. Select 'Unlimited'.
    Job done.

It's taken at once, but it is a bloody good offer for such a trusted service.

Cant get it to work , is there a promo code ??

sharkman wrote: »
    Cant get it to work , is there a promo code ??

I created an account first (and downloaded the application), then logged in via web.

THEN use the link above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

From their website...

Q) I am a new user. What do I do to get the Unlimited plan?

Get started now and create your account.
    Download and install the client.
    Click ‘Buy More Space’ in the client itself, or via the web portal (which you can only login to once you’ve downloaded the client). In the web portal, you will go to Account, and then choose Upgrade My Plan.
    Choose YEARLY and type (DO NOT COPY AND PASTE OR IT WILL NOT WORK) the promo code in the promotional field: unlimitedbackup
    Congrats – you have unlimited GBs!

Advertisement