Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Naas to city..

Options
  • 31-03-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Weather is picking up so gonna start riding to work...
    Anyone know how tricky the roadworks at Newlands Cross are for cycling..?
    Am I best to avoid that area...? Alternate routes..?
    Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Fender76 wrote: »
    Weather is picking up so gonna start riding to work...
    Anyone know how tricky the roadworks at Newlands Cross are for cycling..?
    Am I best to avoid that area...? Alternate routes..?
    Cheers...

Where in the city? may dictate whether you could be routed through Tallaght or Clondalkin - possibility of picking up the Grand Canal maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Down to IFSC... No problem cycling with traffic, just the Newlands Cross section looks well dicey..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Newlands Cross is a mess at the moment with roadworks. They've signs up diverting cyclists from the section between Newlands Cross and Rathcoole. I'd opt to go round it via Clondalkin and the New Nangor Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

What would that add to the journey do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

I do this a few times a week in the summer. Here are my main 2 routes.

This route uses the cycle path along the canal for as long as it goes, then over to newcastle, then cross country to kill and into naas.
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/328318

This route dosent use the canal but goes over the hill at the back or rathcoole.
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1841591

Due to the roadworks at newlands the lanes are now very narrow with no hardshoulder. I wouldnt cycle though it usually and now Id say you would be lucky to get through safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

I cycle from Monread, Naas to kilmainham a couple of time each week. When they started the roadworks at Newlands I started heading down the Grange Castle Road to the Canal and followed the Canal all the way to Inchicore. It's actually a very nice cycle along the canal with a nice surface, few gates to negotiate but doesn't slow you down much.

Other than that I just used the hard shoulder on the N7 for the rest of the journey, it's plenty wide and a decent surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

+1 on the canal, I come from Clane and it's usually dead quiet in the mornings, not sure how ropey it is at dusk considering some of the areas it goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The road works are a pain. You can use the bus lane on the N7 and trunk road in bound to the city, expect to share a lane with cars for about 100M just before you hit the junction of the boot road and N7. I use it every day without problems. The traffic is generally gridlocked so it moves at around 20 km at best. Outbound cross over to the boot road which runs alongside Camac park and go back onto the N7 at the Kingswood junction.

The canal path is fine in winter but expect some problems once good weather comes especially around the Kylemore road junction.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Fender76 wrote: »
    What would that add to the journey do you reckon?

2.4km by my reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I go in by N7 and move over to the path beside Joel's , Fitzgerald's etc. I see other bikes go straight in here with the big boys, not for me thanks.

I go home via Ballymount, R838, Citywest, (next to the tram line) having tried the signed Boot Road option. Why the golf club couldn't have surrendered another 2m strip I don't know. Golf is so last year, everyone knows that.

Has anyone studied what we will have when the job is done?

And finally, who was the guy in the Athy CC livery that blew me away this a.m.? Rhetorical question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I cycle from Newbridge to Dun Laoghaire (once or twice a week)

I cycle to the Naas ball, onto N7, straight through Newlands Cross, down towards Inchicore, Dolpins Barn and to Donnybrook, Dun Laoghaire. It takes me anything between 2:16 to 2:45.

Once you get to Dolphins Barn you can pretty much just follow the canal to IFSC.

I haven't had any hassle at Newlands Cross....yet.

Advertisement