Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guide to common AI blood lines

Options
  • 31-03-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Where can I get info on common Friesian-Holstein blood lines. i know the active bull list is updated yearly but i want to learn about common blood lines. who is related to who? how far out? and the likes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

If you use the icbf bull search, the info given on the bull includes ancestry, so that is one way of doing it, also run the inbreeding report for all eligible females with the ai bulls you've picked for your herd and that will tell you which bulls are related to your cows and heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭dungfly

Milked out wrote: »
    If you use the icbf bull search, the info given on the bull includes ancestry, so that is one way of doing it, also run the inbreeding report for all eligible females with the ai bulls you've picked for your herd and that will tell you which bulls are related to your cows and heifers

just did those reports. very helpful. so now that i have specific info related to my here i now want to learn more about the main bull blood lines. how do i get this type of info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Perhaps one of the other lads may know more but if you are looking for more than what the icbf have on a bull you could try the ihfa or other breed societies and the AI companies, obviously they'll be trying to sell you a bull so depending on the rep a pinch of salt would have to go with their info. If you click on the ancestry tab on the icbf it shows the pedigree of the bull and I'm nearly sure you can click on the sire info etc., to keep going back, is that not enough or what do you mean by bloodlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

dungfly wrote: »
    Where can I get info on common Friesian-Holstein blood lines. i know the active bull list is updated yearly but i want to learn about common blood lines. who is related to who? how far out? and the likes?

common cow family ancestory can be found on each of the breeds website.

Mostly popular Ai bulls dominate these cow family going back the last twenty years.

http://www.icbf.com/?p=1421

look at bulls and trace them in your own herd and neighbours .

Also give a call to the Ai Companies they will provide a good answer.

Perhaps one of the other lads may know more but if you are looking for more than what the icbf have on a bull you could try the ihfa or other breed societies and the AI companies, obviously they'll be trying to sell you a bull so depending on the rep a pinch of salt would have to go with their info. If you click on the ancestry tab on the icbf it shows the pedigree of the bull and I'm nearly sure you can click on the sire info etc., to keep going back, is that not enough or what do you mean by bloodlines?

I have an interest in breeding but want to learn more. I was told that alot of the top bulls can be related. I was hoping to learn where I could get a list of the bloodlines so that I could trace who is related to who, or who is far out (outcross) from someone else? I understand that the active bull list is updated regularly but I was hoping to simplify the process and see the the current active bull list as a list of various bloodlines, where some are related and some are not.

• Advertisement

I have an interest in breeding but want to learn more. I was told that alot of the top bulls can be related. I was hoping to learn where I could get a list of the bloodlines so that I could trace who is related to who, or who is far out (outcross) from someone else? I understand that the active bull list is updated regularly but I was hoping to simplify the process and see the the current active bull list as a list of various bloodlines, where some are related and some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Get your hands on old bull catalogs, issues of Holstein International, etc and study them.

Have a look at this forum, full of great information on breeding, cow families and bulls.
    http://bcowtalk.runboard.com/

This is okay too.
    http://www.thebullvine.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

Run some bulls that you like the look of regardless of bloodlines through the advanved inbreeding option on icbf .if they are not closely matched then job done cos they're the bulls that caught your eye. Imo your starting in the wrong place . Pick a range of bulls for production ,fertility, type whatever and let herdplus do the work . Manager of Lic reckons we have a fantastic resource in herdplus and that the kiwi s spend 500 $ for a similar system . It can be a great time saver .

Advertisement