Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the moy this year

Options
  • 31-03-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

2 years ago the joy was supposed to have fished the best in years and the talk was that it was because of the ban on the drift nets. Fast forward another year supposedly it didn't fish aswell as it did the previous year but heard this was due to low water all summer. Here's hoping this year is different.

One thing I'd like to know that has just crossed my mind. As we all wish for a lovely summer with the sun splitting the trees, if this does happen, are we in for another bad season or has there been good fishing years on the moy along with great weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

newbie2013 wrote: »
    2 years ago the joy was supposed to have fished the best in years and the talk was that it was because of the ban on the drift nets. Fast forward another year supposedly it didn't fish aswell as it did the previous year but heard this was due to low water all summer. Here's hoping this year is different.

One thing I'd like to know that has just crossed my mind. As we all wish for a lovely summer with the sun splitting the trees, if this does happen, are we in for another bad season or has there been good fishing years on the moy along with great weather.

I fish the moy regularly and in my opinion it has not fished well very often in the last 25 years. Some seasons better than others, yes. But fishing well, no I do not agree.
    Talk is talk.
    No I am afraid hot dry summers and salmon are not the best of friends. A typical 'irish summer' is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Flysfisher wrote: »
    I fish the moy regularly and in my opinion it has not fished well very often in the last 25 years. Some seasons better than others, yes. But fishing well, no I do not agree.
    Talk is talk.
    No I am afraid hot dry summers and salmon are not the best of friends. A typical 'irish summer' is best.

Can't understand this the catch records are massive from the moy, it's a prolific river, it's natural that it cannot be the best every year...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Talk is talk.

Can you see it going back to the way it was years ago now the drift nets been banned. How good was it back 25 years ago?

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Can't understand this the catch records are massive from the moy, it's a prolific river, it's natural that it cannot be the best every year...

Take those reports with a big pinch of salt. Do they tell you how many rods were on the rive compared to how many fish were caught?
    The moy sells a lot of salmon licences and the moy fishery has to be sold too.

The big runs of grilse are gong, they used to run the river in shoals, but no more.

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Can you see it going back to the way it was years ago now the drift nets been banned. How good was it back 25 years ago?

No. The grilse ran in shoals for the month of June. Now there might be one half good run in July and that's it. Then just dribs and drabs after that.

• Advertisement

Still the numbers of fish caught are impressive... Have ye a problem with poaching up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

No. The grilse ran in shoals for the month of June. Now there might be one half good run in July and that's it. Then just dribs and drabs after that.

In the early eighties as a kid I remember standing on the bank of the Moy at a Hotel in Ballina mesmerised as Salmon were constantly jumping out of the water. It was just like what you see in Documentaries on Alaskan Bears where fish after fish flies past the bear.
    It'd be a different if they ever got it back to anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've news for you. Those reminisances apply to most rivers in Ireland over the past 30 to 40 years and not, unfortunately, just the Moy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭strangles

Take those reports with a big pinch of salt. Do they tell you how many rods were on the rive compared to how many fish were caught?

Flyfisher is 100% right on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

strangles wrote: »

Flyfisher is 100% right on this one.

seconded. 100% correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

As a Pike Basher I'm pretty ignorant of alot of the factors that have caused this decline. If everyone had to guess to what the top 3 or 4 causes of this decline was and what proportion each one made it decline by what would they be?
    Is it the same causes everywhere or different in every river?

As a Pike Basher I'm pretty ignorant of alot of the factors that have caused this decline. If everyone had to guess to what the top 3 or 4 causes of this decline was and what proportion each one made it decline by what would they be?
    Is it the same causes everywhere or different in every river?

I am from Kerry but i have fished the Moy quite a bit...

I stand to be corrected here but i think there is no commercial salmon fishing on the Moy...

If that is true then that would be the biggest factor in why the Moy is head and shoulders above the rest of the salmon rivers in Ireland...

There are rivers like the feale in Kerry in serious decline where the fishery board grant licenses every year to kill thousands of salmon...

In my opinion the reason why locals in mayo, may think there is a decline is because of global factors not managed by us..

The impression i get from the Moy is people in mayo actually understand that a good salmon river can be hugely beneficial to a local economy...

There is loads of rivers in ireland that could be just as prolific as the Moy System...

Here in kerry there are thousands of salmon killed every year due to commercial netting especially in places like cromane and the cashen its a disgrace really...

Rivers like the Maine in Kerry, where the river has been left grow wild with no management and then licenses are granted for the slaughter of nearly a thousand salmon at its mouth in Castlemanine...

The Moy may have seen some decline due to the overfishing off the coast of greenland etc.... but people cannot concentrate on that, i have listened to numerous people rant on about overfishing at sea and pollution at sea... All we can worry about is what goes on here...

From a tourists point of view it looks like the Moy is been well managed but the fishery board sometimes forget about every one else...

Obviously i know you are gonna have anglers killing more fish then they should and all that carry on, thats the sad thing...

I've news for you. Those reminisances apply to most rivers in Ireland over the past 30 to 40 years and not, unfortunately, just the Moy. :(

They most certainly did not! Very few rivers contained the sheer amount of grilse the moy system had. Did you fish it when it was good, to be honest, and with all respect to your view, if you did you wouldn't dream of saying that.

They most certainly did not! Very few rivers contained the sheer amount of grilse the moy system had. Did you fish it when it was good, to be honest, and with all respect to your view, if you did you wouldn't dream of saying that.

Why was the Moy so good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I fished it annually from 1962 to about 1985. I have fished many venues in those years. Yes the Moy was fantastic but not unique. I have seen proportional disimprovement in most waters in the past 20 years. So I not only dream of but reiterate that the Moy system is not alone in the loss of fish.

I fished it annually from 1962 to about 1985. I have fished many venues in those years. Yes the Moy was fantastic but not unique. I have seen proportional disimprovement in most waters in the past 20 years. So I not only dream of but reiterate that the Moy system is not alone in the loss of fish.

No it's not alone but the decline there has been significant. Obviously other rivers have declined a lot too, nobody would deny that. The point being that it's nothing compared to what it was and the 'reporting' and hyping up the river for financial gain is very wrong and misleading in my opinion.

The moy contained huge amounts of grilse way more than any other system and when it went into decline the reduction in grilse numbers was stark, more noticeable than most other systems in my opinion.

Advertisement