Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Wedding Gift

Options
  • 31-03-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I'm considering giving an actual gift rather than money to a wedding I recently attended. So ........ what was the best gift you gave or gift you have received for a wedding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

A different thread title, e.g. Best Wedding Gift would suit this better as it sounds like a great title for a thread here anyway!

Best gift we got was a set of wines for different significant dates in our first year of marriage, e.g. 1 month, 6 months and a year as well as Xmas and New Year's. We also got set of crystal glasses with water jug, which was great cos we always served water out of our water filter during dinners with friends.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

oooh we got some awesome stuff.

One friend made our wedding cake,
    another got us really cute Mr and Mrs cushions and
    another bought us a selection of stuff from thinkgeek:))

I know we got other awesome stuff but they are the 3 that come to mind off hand.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We got a gorgeous set of glasses from my cousins, there were wine glasses for red and white wine, and a set of hi-balls also.

My aunt and uncle got us a very fancy cutlery canteen. It's awesome cos now if we're having a special occasion we can say 'ooh lets use the good cutlery' makes me feel all grown up!

My sisters got us a pasta maker (you know those things that you put spaghetti through), we get a lot of use out of it, also it's a great fun to make the pasta.

I got a lovely louise kennedy 'centerpiece' bowl/plate from my godmother. I dried my bouquet and it's sitting in the bowl now - looks awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

One of the favourite presents I gave was a picnic hamper filled with the usual picnic stuff (plates, glasses, napkins, etc) and then I added stuff like chocolate money, make a wish chocolate bars, lucky charms, hersheys kisses, love hearts, etc and a few envelopes containing €150 with a note saying something like "I hope married life is a picnic full of riches, luck, kisses and most of all love"....cheesy I know, but I think they appreciated it.

I've done the wedding cake for a lot of my family and friends, so with that I usually give a gift too, like a framed print of the city they live in or something. Am doing the cake for a wedding this weekend, so struggling to think of something original to go with it...

Oh, and a Nespresso machine as another gift I gave that was much appreciated, although I'm been blamed for creating coffee addicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

The best gift we got was one of those proper picnic baskets, it had everything in it, and it was proper cutlery and plates none of the plastic stuff,

a friend of his parents bought it for us, and we loved it, we called down to them to personally thank them, and later showed them photo's we took of a trip to a national park for a picnic on our first anniversary,

its something we use more than any other gift we received...

• Advertisement

kkcatlou wrote: »
    One of the favourite presents I gave was a picnic hamper filled with the usual picnic stuff (plates, glasses, napkins, etc) and then I added stuff like chocolate money, make a wish chocolate bars, lucky charms, hersheys kisses, love hearts, etc and a few envelopes containing €150 with a note saying something like "I hope married life is a picnic full of riches, luck, kisses and most of all love"....cheesy I know, but I think they appreciated it.

Oh, and a Nespresso machine as another gift I gave that was much appreciated, although I'm been blamed for creating coffee addicts.

That is so thoughtful! Wonderful present by the sounds of it. We've a Nespresso since Xmas and it does get plenty of use, especially great being able to treat visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'm not married (yet), but a couple of years ago when my friend got married, she got a framed painting of the church she got married in. It was fab, and such a lovely idea. I was in a shop the other day, and saw a print of the church we want to get married in, and I thought to myself, that if we do, I'll be going back to get that picture!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Some memorable gifts we got (other than the larger monetary gifts!) were:

- A large painting of the Skelligs by my uncle, hangs pride of place in our living room
    - The awesome wedding cake, baked by the sister of the bride

Got loads of nice stuff for the house but those two really stand out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hmmmm

a home made crochet bed spread

a home made "Green Man"

A Fig tree

a selection of board games, twister, operation, Guess Who

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Toots* wrote: »
    We got a gorgeous set of glasses from my cousins, there were wine glasses for red and white wine, and a set of hi-balls also.

My aunt and uncle got us a very fancy cutlery canteen. It's awesome cos now if we're having a special occasion we can say 'ooh lets use the good cutlery' makes me feel all grown up!

My sisters got us a pasta maker (you know those things that you put spaghetti through), we get a lot of use out of it, also it's a great fun to make the pasta.

I got a lovely louise kennedy 'centerpiece' bowl/plate from my godmother. I dried my bouquet and it's sitting in the bowl now - looks awesome.

^^^^^

It's nice to see someone not moaning about getting wines glasses and cutlery as presents. :) Personally I'd love to get loads of glasses, because in my experience glasses break so it's great to have a large supply of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Got the usual gifts and vouchers which were fantastic but we also got a fabulous heart shaped casserole dish and a good set of knives from a chef friend. A friend who is into photography took some pictures of a place we enjoy going walking and cycling and made gorgeous frames for them. We got a lovely tea set too.

Roesy wrote: »
    a good set of knives from a chef friend. A friend who is into photography took some pictures of a place we enjoy going walking and cycling and made gorgeous frames for them.

Wow! Two wonderful presents right there... If I was any good at doing either (taking photos or selecting knives), I'd be jotting this down for reference.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

oh yes, our chef friend (best man) gave us a fabulous set of knives, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

My oldest friend is an artist and we asked him to design our invitations with something that was meaningful to us. We ended up with a beautiful hand-drawn design, completely unique and which represented us perfectly. We then brought the image to a printer and got it turned into gorgeous cards. As a gift he gave us the original drawing, framed. It's beautiful, really just the perfect present.

Another present we got was a set of Bog Buddies. We'd never seen them before but a couple that came to our wedding gave us a frame containing two little women with a heart between them carved out of turf with our names and the date of our wedding written on it. It was a really cute gift and I adore it!

I got a retro Disney Mickey Mouse toaster that plays the mickey mouse theme tune when the toast is done - I love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Thanks for renaming the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

We mostly got money but my sister in law bought us a PS3 which we loved!!! She also got us a frame with 5 postcards in it. it's really hard to describe but each postcard looks like a letter but found in a regular object. So like a window that looks like a D or the side of a chair that looks like an A. It's so unusual and although, it wouldn't be to everyone's taste, we love it!

My sister bought me a copy of Pride and Prejudice. I collect different editions of it and she found me an edition from 1974 which is when my parents got married. It's one of my favourite things and i bawled crying when she gave it to me the night before the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

My favourite wedding present was a big wooden hand carved frog ( about 1 foot square). Every few months I pick it up,give it a rub and just feel happy. Best present ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Really nice Waterford crystal glasses. am really picky about glasses and they were just to my taste.

Also got a couple of hotel vouchers which were very much appreciated as we were broke after the wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

we gave half cash, and a present for a good friends...one was voucher for a nights stay+dinner in a swanky hotel down the country..They really appreciated it.
    I love giving presents to nice hotels/restaurants so they can treat themselves..
    the fully equipped picnic basket is a great idea too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

A beautiful painting by my neighbour of my favourite place at home. I was thrilled to get it as I don't get to visit that often.

A slow cooker! Fantastic piece of equipment!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Pang wrote: »
    A slow cooker! Fantastic piece of equipment!

They're so awesome! Especially cos it's so difficult to burn anything in them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kitty3kids

My auntie is a stone mason and carved us a cute little pig from a piece of Kilkenny marble. It means a lot as Kilkenny is my hometown and the pig itself is so unique and she sells them for quite a lot of money.

On a materialistic note we also got a nespresso machine which I love!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭Milly33

some really nice ideas here thanks to all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I'd usually say cash, but my best man and his wife bought us a weekend away in the same hotel we got married in on our first anniversary

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

I got a retro Disney Mickey Mouse toaster that plays the mickey mouse theme tune when the toast is done - I love it!!

Wow!!! Random lol love it

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

Picnic baskets in aldi at the mo I'm defiantly going there in the am!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭midnight_train

A friend of mine got a gift for her friend that sounds really cool. She knew an artist that made a 'comic strip' of the couple's love story in several frames, from how they met to different events in their relationship to the wedding. She gave her photos of the couple, their family and close friends, etc, and the artist drew everyone in little cartoon figures. I didn't see it personally, but I thought it sounded really cool and I know it's something I'd love to get if I were getting married!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

The picnic basket is a great idea. Have a very foody couple friend getting married soon and would love to do something like that.

Anyone any ideas on where I would buy a picnic basket though?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Avoca.com does nice baskets

http://www.avoca.com/home/products/?mid=7

Advertisement