Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post and Rail Fencing

Options
  • 31-03-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hello,

I have around 200lin mtrs of post and rail fencing to paint. ( Cant wait :) ).

I am looking for advice on what paint stain people would recommend. Woudl you use a water based or an oil based stain.

I have differing opinions. A friend of mine painted his fence with a sikkens stain. I think it was oil based. Looks well. He reckons it will last longer that a water based stain. I wondering is he correct or what do people think

Basically i would like to know what people would recommend that i wouldnt have to be staining the fence every 2 yrs. The timber has already been pressure treated

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have use Sikkens stains before on decking and on my log cabin...its an extremely good woodstain and I can recommend it, definitely better than any water based stuff I have used in the past. Got it from Stillorgan Decor cheaper than anywhere else
    Not cheap though

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Can't advise on stain, but have you considered spraying them. Should take a lot less time and could be a good job. Seen a few fences done and they looked really well.

This may limit your choice of stain though! Not sure if every type of stain/paint can be used in a sprayer.

Advertisement