Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Plywood sheets

Options
  • 31-03-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I hope someone might be able to help.

The largest plywood sheet sizes I can find are 2.4mx1.2m.

I need a piece of ~1.6x1.6 and it has to be a single piece... Can it be bought in a size that I can do this?

my other idea is 3 x layers of 6mm and glue them myself but its messy and difficult to get a good even bond and home and depending on weather etc....

Thanks
    E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Nearly sure 1200 is the only with they come in never seen any wider could you not glue and biscuit joint a 400mm peace on or dowel if your in the mayo area ill do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Nearly sure 1200 is the only with they come in never seen any wider could you not glue and biscuit joint a 400mm peace on or dowel if your in the mayo area ill do it for you

I really appreciate the offer but I'm in Kildare unfortunately. Its for a horse box ramp so I'm not sure that would be strong enough? The reason I ask about the bigger boards is that the original ply boards in the box are huge so thought they might be rare but still obtainable

O i see now ya that needs to be right would tongue and grove red deal floor boards work say if you glued 6mm ply to the bottom or would that be to thick

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Probably would, needs to be about 18mm... I keep coming back to two layers of 9mm ply with the joints at opposite ends, if that makes sense?

Ya know what you mean that probably the best all right make sure you put plenty of glue and weight on it when gluing. Also do your best to rub the two pieces together to expel the air gives a better joint you could put a few screws in to pull the ply together remove when glue set also the screws will hold it in place when you put weight on it as it will slide if you dont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

You can get 5'x5' (1525mm x 1525mm) if that is close enough for you:

www.woodworkers.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Theres a crowd somewhere out the n4 that sells ply for trailers and horseboxes. ordinary ply wouldnt be worth a monkeys for that job. its dear stuff, but its worth doing it right.

Advertisement