Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI GRO search / index view launched

Options
  • 31-03-2014 10:52am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As per Clare Santry's blog (which I worry about how little new records I'd hear about without!), the NI GRO search is now live:

http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.ie/2014/03/groni-bmd-search-facility-is-live.html

'Enhanced' view gives you the actual meaty bit of the cert - there's some examples of what it looks like available there - and costs you £2.00 on top of the 40p per search fee; so cheaper than our GRO and instant for any pre-1921 NI certs that, previously, our GRO was the best option for.

Ten minutes and I've already all but closed off a branch of my tree by finding that someone *didn't* die in childbirth contrary to family myth.

edit: and no, I haven't as I've just found a birth from a few years beforehand.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm really enjoying this so far.
    I've pinned down births for the children in my only NI family, and marriages. Working on next generation now.

Tiny complaint: you can only search a 5 year period at a time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hi - I've registered on the site but can only find where I can order certified copies for £15. I just want a copy of the register entry - would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction [if there is one!]

When you find an index reference, there's a little button on the right marked "enhanced", "full" or "order cert". Enhanced costs 1 credit (short transcription), full costs 5 credits and shows you the register scan plus transcription.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I managed to find the right page at last. It's not the most user friendly site, but I managed to find my way in the end.

The restriction to searching in five year bands is a bit restrictive, but it's great to have instant access to the register copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

MYOB wrote: »
    As per Clare Santry's blog (which I worry about how little new records I'd hear about without!), the NI GRO search is now live:

http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.ie/2014/03/groni-bmd-search-facility-is-live.html

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!! At last.

I won't breathe outside air for about a week. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Hasn't really helped me and its annoying the way you have to pay!

owenc wrote: »
    Hasn't really helped me and its annoying the way you have to pay!

Well, I don't think GRONI did their incredibly useful index just for you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Oh sorry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

registered last week, but only just got to try some searches. Small issue with my credits not showing up which they sorted out within a few minutes of sending an email. Only slight niggle is the 5 year restriction, but otherwise very neat.. the screens etc all nice and straightforward, and the little zoom feature on the details screen for viewing the register extract/cert is handy.

Trying to find the birth of my great great grandfather on grandmothers side but not sure which record to pick...

• Advertisement
Advertisement