Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawken

Options
  • 31-03-2014 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Youtube | Facebook | Steam
    It's been a month since release on Steam. Happened to stumble across it accidentally while looking for something new to play, got so addicted, been playing it for less than a week and already hit level 20 (out of 30).

Basically gameplay feels like Unreal tournament, but with mechs (including dodging). Game consists of different roles like tanking, support, healing, sniping, hybrids, you get the idea.
    It is old-school style fast paced game, mechs in general divided into armor classes, starting from Class A - light fast vehicles, B - somewhere in middle and C - heavy bulky mechs. Each class has their ups and downs.

The beautiful thing about this game is, even at alpha, mechs are very well balanced. There is no OP mech, each vehicle has totally different gameplay that you adjust to. Basically you explore and buy mech that fits your gamestyle.

As with most freemium games there are 2 currencies, almost anything in the game, including cosmetics can be bought by in-game currency that you gain by just playing the game. You can spend real money for MC points that will let you unlock stuff earlier, but keep in mind - items are not going to make you better at this game, newly unlocked weapons for example will simply force you to play different style with your mech. For example - at level 5, new weapon is unlocked, it will give you more damage, but less effective range or faster fire rate, but less damage and accuracy...

This is NOT slow-poke mech simulator or anything a like, this is pure and proper fast paced game that requires good teamwork. Community has been nice so far!

Another thing to mention - I am playing on high settings with some post processing off (to keep it clean and competitive, less movie-style) at constant 60 fps with vsync on, very smooth, as expected from Unreal engine.

Feel free to add me in game - raymix. Got mic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just love this game. I played it before it was on steam. Hopefully steam transition will give it more attention, which it really deserves.

I need to play it more, but I just get sidetracked by so many other games lately. I did spent a few quid now on premium currency, which I have not even spent yet. I just wanted to give few quid to devs.

I play a scout light mech. This game really makes it possible to play scout run in damage, run out tactics. If I am getting cough in open by bruisers like mechs, then the only option I got - run. Though if they got turned back on me, they all dead.
    I had really some great flanking tactics pulled off in that mech. Sometimes run in, get 3 kills ( getting one kill in this game is hard and satisfying) and get out as soon as I can.

Siege ( I think) game mode is fantastic. Where you collect fuel for your battleship to attack opposite teams base, then fight for AA gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

haven't played it since the Alpha in 2012, must give it another try

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Started playing it when it came on Steam but got caught up in Hearthstone and Diablo lately, so haven't played it in a week or two. It's one of the most enjoyable FPS I've played in a while. Played Titanfall for a bit but found it a bit boring, but Hawken really impressed me with all the customization's of the mechs. As will it doesn't feel like a grind unlocking stuff or earning xp. I think it's one of those rare free to plays where it's well balanced in regards to not needing to spend money to break the grind.

Advertisement