Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 weeks to leaving cert, is it possible to pass?

Options
  • 31-03-2014 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey all, first time posting here and I was wondering, is it possible to pass the leaving cert with only 9 weeks to go?
    I didn't do much of anything in 5th year, as well as 6th, and the panic is setting in, I've always lacked enthusiasm toward school and especially study, but now I've realised I need to get stuck in and work, I failed pretty much all of the pres by around 4-7%, I struggle greatly with maths, but have been getting grinds for the past 3 months, and it's helping. I can get free grinds from my aunt, who does teaches geography and English in a college, and my sister who got 550 points, I'm willing to take all the help I can get to pass, as I really want to go to college. So again, my question is, with 9 weeks to go, is it possible? I'm 18 and I don't want to repeat, my course is only 200 points, and I do 5 higher subjects and 2 ordinary. I'm willing to do as much study as you guys recommend to just pass everything, 3 of my subjects have projects to give me some percentage to the overall grade, I have my construction and history projects both completed, and I'm doing my GI booklet tomorrow, and all have good amounts of work in them, and will be checked by my sister, sorry for the long windedness of this post! I'm just really panicking, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Definitely not too late! If it's of any comfort, over three quarters of the country gets more than two hundred points. And almost half of those who get less than that score less than one hundred - you would have to be almost entirely disengaged from schooling to be in that category. In other words, excluding those who are so weak as to not be able to manage two Higher and two Ordinary passes, eighty five percent will score above two hundred! Based only on how you phrased your post, you ought to be in that group.

Advice? Check some other threads for some which is specific to your subjects.

A few general things: it's much more sensible (and likely easier) to focus on turning an E in one subject into a D, than a D in another into a C; it's likely that almost every question from every paper on the LC will have featured on a past exam - therefore, past papers are your friend (I often think that students would value them so much more were they not freely available); practising answering questions is often over-looked, and is, IMO, essential.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

No point in panicking. You know yourself what you need to give attention to. Just get on with it and give it your best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dylan_1996

Definitely not too late! If it's of any comfort, over three quarters of the country gets more than two hundred points. And almost half of those who get less than that score less than one hundred - you would have to be almost entirely disengaged from schooling to be in that category. In other words, excluding those who are so weak as to not be able to manage two Higher and two Ordinary passes, eighty five percent will score above two hundred! Based only on how you phrased your post, you ought to be in that group.

Advice? Check some other threads for some which is specific to your subjects.

A few general things: it's much more sensible (and likely easier) to focus on turning an E in one subject into a D, than a D in another into a C; it's likely that almost every question from every paper on the LC will have featured on a past exam - therefore, past papers are your friend (I often think that students would value them so much more were they not freely available); practising answering questions is often over-looked, and is, IMO, essential.

Good luck

Thank you so much seriously, all of what you said has made me feel much more comfortable in my abilities and the possibilities, I'm glad I decided to make an account, everyone on here is so helpful! Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

Dylan_1996 wrote: »
    Thank you so much seriously, all of what you said has made me feel much more comfortable in my abilities and the possibilities, I'm glad I decided to make an account, everyone on here is so helpful! Thanks again!
    And get some sleep for Pete's sake. Have you any idea of the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Dylan_1996 wrote: »

No probs, man. I appreciate your gratitude. Now, as Popescu said, get some sleep! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 its me_330

U can't be too bad if u r doing 5 higher level subjects. Do as much as you can between now and the LC. I reckon u will get what you want no problem

Advertisement