Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ Gallagher

Options
  • 31-03-2014 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I feel bad saying this because he's so cheerful and good natured and maybe it's just me but the comedian PJ Gallagher is not actually funny. He steers well clear of any actual thought provoking subject matter, relying more on a kind of jolly attitude to get through his routine. Like I said he seems like a nice enough fellow but it seems to me that there's no "material" in his repertoire. It's frustrating because lots of people find him funny and maybe I'm just not getting it or losing my sense of humour. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I don't find him funny, acting like a giddy 12 year old isn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

He is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭squonk

In fiarness, I wouldn't be the biggest fan myself but he can be quite funny at times. I think really though he's a bit of a character and the comedy is centered around him really. That can fall flat on it's face or get old (see Hector) but he's a good guy and it has to be said, has probably done more for good causes than most other comedians. I'll give him some leeway on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He appears to be sound, but find him hit-and-miss, not consistently funny.
    He wouldn't last 10 mins in the uk or the states, but since it's RTE any lad/lady who was a class comedian in school back in the day will do.
    Once you get inside the hallowed halls of Montrose, you're sorted...see Kathleen Lynch and the aforementioned Hector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

He appears to be sound, but find him hit-and-miss, not consistently funny.
    He wouldn't last 10 mins in the uk or the states, but since it's RTE any lad/lady who was a class comedian in school back in the day will do.
    Once you get inside the hallowed halls of Montrose, you're sorted...see Kathleen Lynch and the aforementioned Hector.

He's had his own series on Channel 4. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Obviously it had rave reviews?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I enjoyed his Jake Stephens set ups when they were set in Ireland but the show when he took it to The States(was it called Makin, Jake?) was just awfull ,totally painfull to watch.

Obviously it had rave reviews?

Eh........ sure it did, yeah. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Awful awful stuff (and I remember his attempts at being funny on the radio before he got really RTE famous) but then I don't get most Irish comedy like the equally terrible Mrs Brown's Boys etc

Lowest common denominator stereotypical paddy-whackery just isn't my thing I guess - but I actually do enjoy some "stupid comedy" stuff like Dodgeball, Anchorman etc or things like Hale & Pace back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bloe Joggs

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm afraid Jason Byrne falls into the same category for me. With the likes of Louis CK on the international scene now, these guys don't even share the same multiverse and it's hard to see how they could compete with that kind of talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As funny as acne.

NIMAN wrote: »
    As funny as acne.

I dunno. Acne is pretty funny.

"HEY PIZZAFACE!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

NIMAN wrote: »
    As funny as acne.

Harsh on acne tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Which was panned and had dismal viewership.

Which was panned and had dismal viewership.

True. But he lasted more than ten minutes!

Advertisement