Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver's side wiper hook a different size?

Options
  • 30-03-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Need to replace wipers on a 03 Corolla hatchback. Replaced the back one no problem but the Trico ExactFit wiper I got for the front driver's side doesn't seem to fit.

The hook appears to be bigger than the one on the passenger side and won't fit into the housing that is meant to clip around the hook. Is this standard?

Looking at alternative models on micksgarage.com and the Trico website it's not clear what the correct alternative would be so any guidance welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Most wipers have a metal hook shaped like a U and a plastic adapter fits in there to match the wiper blade

Sometime when replacing wiper blade the plastic bit is left in place.

When you bought new wipers there was probably 2 or 3 different types of adaptors included.

The only other thing I can think of is someone replaced the wiper arm with one from a different car. Unlikely but possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

cloudsteph wrote: »
    Need to replace wipers on a 03 Corolla hatchback. Replaced the back one no problem but the Trico ExactFit wiper I got for the front driver's side doesn't seem to fit.

The hook appears to be bigger than the one on the passenger side and won't fit into the housing that is meant to clip around the hook. Is this standard?

Looking at alternative models on micksgarage.com and the Trico website it's not clear what the correct alternative would be so any guidance welcome.

Just to clarify, are you saying the hook on the wiper arm is too big for the clip that came with the wiper?

If so, sometimes they can be a bit tight going on and may need a little (and I stress a little) force to get them on. Failing that, you should be able to reuse the clip off the old wiper.

Edit: just realised this thread was up Sunday night, you're probably sorted by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cloudsteph

Thanks for the responses.

Not sorted yet, haven't been able to get anywhere to see if an alternative model will fit better. The driver side hook seems to be what's dubbed a "large hook". The old wiper seems to have come with an attachment to fit it into the clip. The trouble with the larger width of the hook means I can't the new blade on at all as the opening it has to fit through is too small even with the old attachment removed.

It's my first car so I'm new to all this but it does seem odd that one arm would be different to the other!

Advertisement