Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJ Carey on Legal Aid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

efb wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dj-carey-hits-out-at-scumbag-thieves-legal-aid-30138473.html

Today's indo, can't say I agree. Everyone is entitled to due process and representation.

Even a career criminal with 100+ convictions who has never worked a day in his life? I don't think anybody disagrees that people have a right to fair representation, what most people have a problem with is those who repeatedly abuse the privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Even a career criminal with 100+ convictions who has never worked a day in his life? I don't think anybody disagrees that people have a right to fair representation, what most people have a problem with is those who repeatedly abuse the privilege.

So when should it end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thieves dressing in tracksuits to blend in is very clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

I think he is just venting the frustrations out of him which is fine.
    So when should it end?

Crime wouldn't drop if you put a limit on the amount of times you can avail of free legal aid but it would be seen as proactive rightly or wrongly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

What did he expect? Everyone knows you don't park an even partway decent car anywhere in Carlow.

An utter kip. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone normal who has to live there.

• Advertisement

So when should it end?

I like the idea of having to do community service in return for legal aid. I'm sure the scumbags wouldn't like sweeping the streets or cleaning off graffiti on a regular basis.

I like the idea of having to do community service in return for legal aid. I'm sure the scumbags wouldn't like sweeping the streets or cleaning off graffiti on a regular basis.

only scumbags use legal aid?

I think he is just venting the frustrations out of him which is fine.

Crime wouldn't drop if you put a limit on the amount of times you can avail of free legal aid but it would be seen as proactive rightly or wrongly

crime wouldn't drop but it makes us feel better, oh thats ok then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Same ol. Same ol. No one thinks of solutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

crime wouldn't drop but it makes us feel better, oh thats ok then...

Did I say I agree with it? Do you have any practical solutions or do you just want to have a whinge about scumbags?

Put a limit on the amount of times you can avail of free legal aid and it's the equivalent of saying to people, you can commit X amount of crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,845 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So when should it end?

There has to be a cut of point surely.
    When? Well that has to be decided I suppose.

I like the option given further down the thread.
    You are entitled to free legal add on 10 seperate occasions in relation to 10 separate crimes, outside of that you "pay" for it by doing something akin to community service. (Just a suggestion - would weed out the repeat offenders while keeping the genuine folk protected)
    I'd love to know exactly how much the state spends on "free" legal aid on an annual basis, it has to be considerable.
    Too often we let people who have committed numerous offences off far too easily.

Of course there are deeper repurcussions as to why they people feel the need to offend so much, perhaps the money spent on legal aid would better be spent on resolving the more deep rooted issues for these people.

only scumbags use legal aid?

Not at all but in relation to the incidents in the article, those responsible are scumbags as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What did he expect? Everyone knows you don't park an even partway decent car anywhere in Carlow.

Sounds like you don't know much of Carlow to be honest.

Alot of good people in Carlow and personally i think its a nice town but look i realise there is a minority of absolute dirt up there too......LIKE ANYWHERE IN IRELAND and the rest of the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Maybe Ireland can open a few prisons in Russia. Ship the sum out and let the Russians run it, or the North Koreans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Have to agree with DJ on this one but would also like to add that the only difference between the scumbags in tracksuits he refers to and those presently on trial for the Anglo Bank fraud is that those guys wear suits.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm living in Carlow and while there is a minority of places that are deemed to inhabit scumbags it's not all that bad. In the village that I was raised in which coincidentally is the same village DJ came from I've heard of a few robberies in the last number of years. More policing of small towns and villages really wouldn't go amiss.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Maybe Ireland can open a few prisons in Russia. Ship the sum out and let the Russians run it, or the North Koreans.

I think chain gangs are the way to go tbh. Break the spirit of the fúckers. The problem with Ireland though is that judges have no problem handing out sentances to people who havent paid their dog licence or tv licence whilst genuine scum are given lenient sentances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't think a cut off point would work. If a criminal were to go over the limit, how would they get the fair trial they have a right to without the representation they can't afford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,845 ✭✭✭✭kippy

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I don't think a cut off point would work. If a criminal were to go over the limit, how would they get the fair trial they have a right to without the representation they can't afford?

Work for the legal aid (like the rest of us).......as outlined above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I thought DJ Carey was up before the beak and needed free legal aid. Assumptions, ass ump tions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

The Yanks did the '3 strikes & your'e out' thing a while back.

Okay, young people do stupid things & all that, but if it becomes a habit....

Give them Hell & I mean real Hell on Earth.

A good deterrent will work on all but the worst scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I thought DJ Carey was up before the beak and needed free legal aid. Assumptions, ass ump tions.

Thread title misleading for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

If you are found guilty do you have to pay back the free legal aid or is it free, free?
    Apart from that it seems to me free legal aid must be an invention by the legal profession. Because surely its not free, its just that someone else (you & me) are paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

washman3 wrote: »
    Have to agree with DJ on this one but would also like to add that the only difference between the scumbags in tracksuits he refers to and those presently on trial for the Anglo Bank fraud is that those guys wear suits.:mad:

ya thats the only difference:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Absolutely sickening - on discovering the theft, D.J was heard to say he felt like hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

This be the "gentleman" who left small suppliers to his business holding €1.7 million of unpaid bills when it was liquidated in 2011?
    The same chancer who had a €9.5 million AIB judgement lodged against him for his losses as a property speculator?
    Chancers and scumbags come in all shapes and sizes and Mr Carey should learn the old adage that people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

He's on the radio at the moment with Pat Kenny. He has some involvement with Carlow IT and apparently a bunch of cars there were broken into the same night.

He was burgled in Dublin another time and claims he was the one treated like the perpetrator in court because the fella that did it was "disadvantaged".

Great country. I'm quitting my job and getting myself a tracksuit and some sovereign rings. Best way to go in tgis country. You can basically get away with anything up to murder and the state will babysit you for your entire life regarding an income and housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Perhaps we need to look at it an alternative way:

1st Prosecution - standard time served for the offences
    2nd Prosecution - double the time you'd usually do for that offence
    3rd Prosecution - triple the time

It's utterly ridiculous that we allow people to walk the streets when they have charge sheets in double-figures. There's a certain point at which the value of a human life becomes negative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They are all on disability so would have letters from doctors and consultants saying how they can climb on roofs and jump walls to rob but can't sweep the streets or do a bit of work in the community because it is beyond their ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

This be the "gentleman" who left small suppliers to his business holding €1.7 million of unpaid bills when it was liquidated in 2011?
    The same chancer who had a €9.5 million AIB judgement lodged against him for his losses as a property speculator?
    Chancers and scumbags come in all shapes and sizes and Mr Carey should learn the old adage that people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones!

Look, it's quite simple. Steal €1000 you're a thieving scumbag who deserves ten years hard labour. Steal €1,000,000 and maybe you get a caution or something

Advertisement