Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help choosing new laptop

Options
  • 30-03-2014 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

hi, im looking for a little help in picking a laptop.the one im on now is finished and time to upgrade. its an acer and has being going strong for 5-6 years. so would prefer to stick with this brand.so acer or sony vaio..14" is a must,as is an optical drive.i would really like a backlit keyboard, touchsceen is a bonus(not a dealbreaker),but would prefer to stay clear of windows 8. any help/input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

budget? Portability needed? wot do u do with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 aaron devers

budget is €600,maybe stretch a little if necessary. portability isnt greatly important,but is a bit. will be using m office,photoshop and few design programmes. nothing to big. and web browsing and itunes and netflixs..cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

hey all, also in the look out for a new laptop, had a dell inspiron for 6 years, just need it for internet, movies etc any specifics i need to be looking at when buying e.g. RAM, processor etc? Cheers!

cheers.would be more inclined to acer...any more suggestions?

• Advertisement

cottager83 wrote: »
    hey all, also in the look out for a new laptop, had a dell inspiron for 6 years, just need it for internet, movies etc any specifics i need to be looking at when buying e.g. RAM, processor etc? Cheers!

maybe a chromebook if only for movies and browsing, if you dont need an optical drive...but there all chrome OS.which isnt a bad thing for your needs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Very happy with the Dell Inspiron 15R we bought 9 months ago - touchscreen, Windows 8. Like you we were looking for Windows 7 but the choice was so limited we gave up, bit the bullet and got this. Absolutely no regrets - just a question of spending a little time familiarising yourself with Win 8 (8.1 is a good bit easier anyway). No different to getting used to a new smartphone really.

Anyway, just saying you could be limiting your choice, unnecessarily in my view. I would have a look at PCPro's "A list" - our Dell was on it when we bought. You can also search there for reviews of other laptops. http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist

thanks mct1. going their now for a look. was just looking at this one..http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V5-471P-6605-14-Inch-Touchscreen/dp/B00AVYPLWW anybody got any opinions on it? and, has anybody ever bought from amazon in america? whats delivery like?

just to let you all no i went with the acer.being playing around with it all day and have to say its a great laptop,didnt think id use the touchscreen much but it really is an advantage when using windows 8.overall perfect for what i wanted and im really impressed with it.thanks for all yer input and id recommend this for anybody else searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

just to let you all no i went with the acer.being playing around with it all day and have to say its a great laptop,didnt think id use the touchscreen much but it really is an advantage when using windows 8.overall perfect for what i wanted and im really impressed with it.thanks for all yer input and id recommend this for anybody else searching.

Yeah, I don't get people who think that a touchscreen is not a major feature when you are using an OS like windows 8.x which is designed and optimised for use with a touchscreen. I just think it's common sense..... although maybe that's not common enough!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement