Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO

Options
  • 30-03-2014 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey,

I just logged into my CAO to look at the courses I have down again, and When I logged in I scrolled down the page to where it says 'Qualifications and Assessment Section (Stored on the CAO computer)' and theres a little box under it that says year 2014 and exam number..

The thing is in the box where the exam number should be there is no exam number! I'm so worried is this just me or is everyone's like that? :eek:

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Dunno why that is, but if you e-mail them they'll add your exam number to your application. If you do so, it won't appear on the online application, though. You'll have to wait till they send you a paper copy to confirm that it has been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 perthree

Thanks for the reply!

So lucky I noticed it :eek:

perthree wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!

So lucky I noticed it :eek:

Lol! I began an Application, but didn't fill in all my details because I assumed that, in the same way that courses can be changed until July, so could the details. I was wrong, and lived a weekend of sheer terror waiting for a reply from CAO!

I don't live too far away from the office,

Would it be advisable for me to go to the office and talk to them in person!

I'm so worried about this now! :eek:

I don't live too far away from the office,

Would it be advisable for me to go to the office and talk to them in person!

I'm so worried about this now! :eek:

I don't think it's at all necessary. Are you an external applicant? Send them an e-mail requesting that they clarify the situation (you must do it through a form on the CAO website) and include your exam number. They usually reply promptly, so if you send it now it should arrive sometime midday tomorrow, and if you're not happy with their response you could then go to the office in person.

• Advertisement

I'm in school doing the Leaving cert,

There is one letter wrong in my name, but its still the same name like the spelling is just another way of spelling it. It doesn't match the spelling on my birth cert though.

I'm in school doing the Leaving cert,

There is one letter wrong in my name, but its still the same name like the spelling is just another way of spelling it. It doesn't match the spelling on my birth cert though.

E-mail them and request that they correct the spelling of your name and include your exam number. Out of interest, did you originally include your exam number and did you spell your name correctly?! Because, as it's automated, I can't understand why it would be different.

When I signed up to the CAO i don't think I had my exam number, I cant remember :confused:

I put in my name like how I usually spell it but on my birth cert it has one letter different. But like its the same name!

When I signed up to the CAO i don't think I had my exam number, I cant remember :confused:

I put in my name like how I usually spell it but on my birth cert it has one letter different. But like its the same name!

Cool. I can't give any more advice! If I'm anything to go by, there is no problem with having an exam number added to the application. The name thing only matters because I imagine that is what your third level institution will think you're called! It could be a complete hassle to have it changed when you're in college.

Thanks for the help!

It was pure luck I even noticed it! :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help!

It was pure luck I even noticed it! :eek::eek:

At some point, they send out a hard-copy summary of your application which gives you an opportunity to correct any errors. But, probably best that you noticed it now!

No probs :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You should spell it like it is on your birth cert.
    Does the name they have for you in school (SEC exam entries) match the birth cert name?

On my birth cert it says my name and then my middle name, and my parents surname is spelled the same way as the CAO but a different way to the form with my subjects on it for applying to the LC. My passport is also spelled the same way as the CAO but a different way to the form I paid for the LC with

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My head hurts.
    So your LC results will have a differently spelled version to the surname the CAO have? Is your passport not the same as your birth cert?

If the passport is the same as the CAO, I would get your Examinations Secretary in school to change your name to spell the same as everything else.

It may seem like nothing to Irish people who may or may not know it is the same name, but it's better get it fixed.

Haha sorry I typed that way to fast!

Basically my CAO name matches my Passport which seems to match my Birthcert

The form I filled out with my subject and levels for the LC however is spelled differently to my passport and birthcert

Haha sorry I typed that way to fast!

Basically my CAO name matches my Passport which seems to match my Birthcert

The form I filled out with my subject and levels for the LC however is spelled differently to my passport and birthcert

OK, just get the exam secretary to fix it with the SEC. It's very easy for them to do, or if they don't, once you get your number you can email the SEC yourself. Better have it all in the one version.

Well I know my exam number now. I asked a couple of people to check their CAO and their's have their exam numbers listed in it but mine doesn't?

I literally had a mini heart-attack thinking I wont get any offers in August!!

I don't think your number not appearing would have had anything to do with the difference in the surnames, but it's possible the CAO computer throws up errors at things like that. Once it is all sorted so that your LC marks get credited to your CAO account it will be OK.

Yeah, thanks.

I'm going to go to the CAO office tomorrow and try and figure out whats wrong. I literally need to sort this a.s.a.p for peace of mind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

I had a situation like this earlier in the year. I had also entered my name wrong (extra letter) and simply sent a letter with my application number requesting the change. Two days letter and it was fixed, they were no bother at all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement