Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobs in farming

Options
  • 30-03-2014 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Do u think they will increase big time with no quota next year or will lads just upgrade and try to keep going them selves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

yes14 wrote: »
    Do u think they will increase big time with no quota next year or will lads just upgrade and try to keep going them selves?

To be honest I don't see where the labour is going to come from. Very hard to get experienced people in to milk cows. Lot of lads getting in to milk are in for a rude awakening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mulumpy wrote: »
    To be honest I don't see where the labour is going to come from. Very hard to get experienced people in to milk cows. Lot of lads getting in to milk are in for a rude awakening

Agreed, alot of expansion will be combined with improving labour efficency in my view, bigger parlours with plenty of gadgets to help ya, and then contract out all machinery work etc. Which is only the right way to do it, labour is definitely not cheap in Ireland. I personally think robots will make decent inroads over the next few years on smaller farms as well, well all assuming milk still makes decent returns and the weather doesn't keep acting up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

yes14 wrote: »

I'm presuming your coming from the position of looking for a job in farming.. If so I'd say there has to be work out there at the moment... Many (if not most) of the dairy men I talk to just can't get relief milkers, or at least can't get any worth getting back..
    If your interested I'd say this is an area you could get working on straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Timmaay wrote: »
    Agreed, alot of expansion will be combined with improving labour efficency in my view, bigger parlours with plenty of gadgets to help ya, and then contract out all machinery work etc. Which is only the right way to do it, labour is definitely not cheap in Ireland. I personally think robots will make decent inroads over the next few years on smaller farms as well, well all assuming milk still makes decent returns and the weather doesn't keep acting up!

Especially my area don't know how I will find help in a few yrs when the father winds down a bit. As it is he is barely able to help me milk?

What about lads on the dole??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

I see your point...
    It's hard for anyone that's interested in milking cows that doesn't have experience to get it though! Because everybody wants people with years experience!

• Advertisement

I see your point...
    It's hard for anyone that's interested in milking cows that doesn't have experience to get it though! Because everybody wants people with years experience!

I'd be happy to take on no one with no experience as long as they were keen.

Ye can learn pretty quick.

I won't go near FRS as there too sloppy for my liking

What about lads on the dole??

Ok huge generalisation here ha, but would you trust the average lad who has been on the dole for say a decent length of time to be reliable enough to let him off and do the full milking etc while you escape for the day or so?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ok huge generalisation here ha, but would you trust the average lad who has been on the dole for say a decent length of time to be reliable enough to let him off and do the full milking etc while you escape for the day or so?

Well lads that were on the buildings then?,there's bound to be loads around.

It really depends how interested they are though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I dont think dairy farming is going to attract a whole heap of people into milking. Unless its young lads who want more experience or are awaiting their own farm, the current ratess paid are not going to attract many into doing it. The hours are seen by most as anti social and the returns arent much better than what is attainable from say stacking shelves. I'm not knocking dairying for this but any lad that goes to college to get a cert in dairy management or builds up years of knowledge in stock and rearing and in real terms gets a lot of responsibility isnt going to be happy getting a fairly mediocre wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Well lads that were on the buildings then?,there's bound to be loads around.

It really depends how interested they are though..

If they havint emigrated or found jobs or done something since then(2008) say when it went bust.,, I would say they are happy enough on the dole..

Have you experience with FRS greengrass?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

A lad I know who was on the dole was approached by the FRS to do milking

he said if he wanted to milk he'd keep cows at home!!!:D....

its a bit hard to expect a lad to come in for a few hours in morning...then go home and come back for few hours again in the evening for what the most part is poor enough pay!!

effectively going to work twice in the one day

*this is going by the standred pay of e10 an hour around here

could understand if someone wants to do it to gain experience to set themselves up....a lot of dairy farmers sons I know...don't even like milking just say its a job that has to be got through (still do it correctly-just they find it boring....so they tell me anyways)

I see your point...

I had a lad call in to me last week asking would I train him to milk. Had no farming experience but anxious to learn. Wouldn't mind helping him out if I wasnt working away from farm so much myself. It is going to be difficult for people who didnt grow up milking cows to get experience. So much can go wrong during milking and could be a very expensive day off for the farmer.

I had a temp relief milker in last july while my usual lad was on hols. Forgot to turn on bulk tank on the hottest day of the year. Came home to find milk in tank at 25 degrees despite clear written instructions.

FRS milker here once forgot to close the valve on the tank!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I had a temp relief milker in last july while my usual lad was on hols. Forgot to turn on bulk tank on the hottest day of the year. Came home to find milk in tank at 25 degrees despite clear written instructions.

I take it he hasn't milked for u again mulumphy!!!.agree with whatvurvsaying it's going to be very hard to get a reliable person just to relief milk over the next few years.lots of lads looking for work but trying to find someone who wants to learn something and actually cares about what there doing versus a lad that just wants to pick up a few quid for as little effort as possible is goingvto be hsrd.im lucky enough in that I have a neighbour who is reliable and likes cows that i can rely on..he likes his weekends and women as well but as long as he milks when he says he will i don't mind.arrived home from a weeding one Sunday morning at half 5 in morning and met him heading out the gate.was out met a young one went to house party with her and she ended up with someone else.saod feck it at 4 o click left milked for me and was in bed at 6.he was well full but cows all milked 100%.hard find lads like that!

Lad I used to work for and milk for got a lad that has a sucklers in last spring after I finished with him .
    He started him off feeding calves and liming cubicles.
    Now he has him trained into milk.
    Although he says he can't leave him milk on his own his father would have to be around. But its handy to have someone to help train heifers.
    Works well for him as thus lad goes home during the day to do his work

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Don't know about that green as I know a few lads in FRS and they are decent operators but they could be the exemption

Reggie. wrote: »
    Don't know about that green as I know a few lads in FRS and they are decent operators but they could be the exemption

Ah I've seen them working and its as quick as possible as there so busy

Friend of mine started going with one a couple of months ago and he has her trained to milk and feed the calves already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

some times you can be better off getting a lad with no experience no bad habbits to break. I find it easy enough to train guys with no experience in to my parlour as there is 2 people to milking as they don't have to wash the plant or start it up.

• Advertisement

trixi2011 wrote: »
    some times you can be better off getting a lad with no experience no bad habbits to break. I find it easy enough to train guys with no experience in to my parlour as there is 2 people to milking as they don't have to wash the plant or start it up.

Same as school basicky . ye hated Irish and English but loved the practical classes.
    If your interested it makes the whole thing that much easier to get your head around

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

can farmers employ people through the jobsbridge programme

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yes14

bbam wrote: »
    I'm presuming your coming from the position of looking for a job in farming.. If so I'd say there has to be work out there at the moment... Many (if not most) of the dairy men I talk to just can't get relief milkers, or at least can't get any worth getting back..
    If your interested I'd say this is an area you could get working on straight away.

Yea im out of work the last few months.
    I was thinking more full time than just milking

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Henwin wrote: »
    can farmers employ people through the jobsbridge programme

Worst thing that ever came into the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Reggie. wrote: »
    Worst thing that ever came into the country

Fact, my girlfriend can't find a job in her area anywhere around. All the ones coming up are internships through jobridge. Worst of all is you have to be on the scratcher for a year to be eligible for it so basically the slackers she went to college with are getting the foot in the door but she hasn't a hope. Pure Sh*te!! Also know a lad who got late go from his job because work was too scarce...a lad in on jobridge to replace him the following week :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

absolutely, the jobsbridge programme is a disgrace. only there to cut dole figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I take it he hasn't milked for u again mulumphy!!!.agree with whatvurvsaying it's going to be very hard to get a reliable person just to relief milk over the next few years.lots of lads looking for work but trying to find someone who wants to learn something and actually cares about what there doing versus a lad that just wants to pick up a few quid for as little effort as possible is goingvto be hsrd.im lucky enough in that I have a neighbour who is reliable and likes cows that i can rely on..he likes his weekends and women as well but as long as he milks when he says he will i don't mind.arrived home from a weeding one Sunday morning at half 5 in morning and met him heading out the gate.was out met a young one went to house party with her and she ended up with someone else.saod feck it at 4 o click left milked for me and was in bed at 6.he was well full but cows all milked 100%.hard find lads like that!

Fair play to him, he got to still pull tits in the middle of the night granted it was in the parlour tho :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yes14

Henwin wrote: »
    absolutely, the jobsbridge programme is a disgrace. only there to cut dole figures.

Yep it really is a waste of time

Advertisement