Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Irish Oral

Options
  • 30-03-2014 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi Guys, so I have my Irish Oral tomorrow. I'm not great when it comes to date of births and ages over 20 so could somebody tell me how to say the following in Irish?

Date of Birth; 6th of June 1995
    and the age 25.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

An seú lá de Mheitheamh, míle naoi gcead nócha cúig
    22 = Cúig bhliain is fiche d'aois

(I think :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Sometimes some people say nócha a cúig/nócha is a cúig (Níl sé ar eolas agam cén fáth ach déanann siad é ar aon nós!)

Also I thought this doc. was quite good!! http://www.gaelport.com/uploads/documents/Cuireadh%20Chun%20Cainte/Cuireadh%20Chun%20Cainte%20-%20L%C3%A1mhleabhar%20an%20Dalta.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cc12313

I have my Irish Oral Tuesday (ordinary) and I am freaking out to the point of mental breakdown.

We didn't have an Irish teacher for over 2 yeas and got a new one only recently and now we have to try and learn 20 sraith pictures in 2 days and a whole conversation. Any help?

cc12313 wrote: »
    I have my Irish Oral Tuesday (ordinary) and I am freaking out to the point of mental breakdown.

We didn't have an Irish teacher for over 2 yeas and got a new one only recently and now we have to try and learn 20 sraith pictures in 2 days and a whole conversation. Any help?

Hi there,

Wow - that's terrible. Did you have any teacher at all or what was the story behind that? I'd certainly be getting either your parents/guardians or yourself onto the principal/board of management and even dept. of edu if it was that serious.

Here's your 'to do list' as such:
    • 5 entry questions
    • Poetry reading section
    • Sraith pictiur
    • Questions for sraith
    • General conversation

What you need to do:

Entry: greet the examiner with 'Dia Duit. Fáilte go dtí (Your schools name). They will then most likely ask you how you are and you can say something like 'Tá mé thar barr, go raibh maith agat'

5Qs: Learn these very well - 5marks

1.D’ainm
    Is mise ...... (Your full name in Irish) or (Your name) is ainm dom

2.D’aois
    Táim .... choose 1 of the following:
    17 = seacht mbliana déag d'aois
    18 = ocht mbliana déag d'aois
    19 = naoi mbliana déag d'aois

3.Do sheoladh baile
    Is é mo sholadh baile.... (whatever your address or town is) make sure it's in Irish!

4.Do dháta breithe
    Rugadh mé ar an (whatever date your birthday is - if you want it translated post it up)

5.Do scrúduimhir (Exam number)
    Is é mo scrúduimhir (whatever your exam number is)

You need to learn this extremely well - there is no other way around it.

Poetry: 35marks

This is an easy section to pick up marks in. The following link has each of the 5 poems. If your are in ordinary, they will generally ask you one of the easier poems like Geibheann. Yet, revise each of them. Listen to this guy first then try it with him and again on your own.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVL_ZTEaYyL90-gEJLNTvvQ

Note - his videos are on the second line with the blue background.

Sraith pictiur: 80marks

It would be rather difficult to start learning 20 sraiths at this stage. Have a look at them and pick out a few phrases like below:

Lá brea brothallach a bhí ann (It was a sunny day)
    Bhí Liam agus Síle ag.... (what were they doing?)
    Bhí

(what feeling) orthu example - bhí athas orthu, bhí brod orthu

What did they do in the second picture:
    - Chuaigh siad ag rith/ag siopadoireacht/ag campáil
    - D'ith siad a lón
    - Bhí siad ag ligeant a scith (relaxing)
    And etc etc.

To finish:
    Ní dhéanfaidh siad dearmad go deo an lá sin - they will never forget that day.

Think - what - where - when - why - who - how
    If you get really stuck, make it up e.g. Tá gruaig dubh ar Shíle. Tá súile gleasa ag Liam.

Learn a few phrases and throw them in!

Then you must come up with three questions for the examiner. Ask something like:
    Cá raibh an pictiur sin suite - where was this picture located
    Cén fáth a raibh athas/bron... ar na daoine - why were the people happy/sad..
    Ar thaitin an sraith sin leat - did you like this picture

There are five marks going for those questions so please learn them!!

General conversation - 120 marks - this section has the most marks.

Prepare and learn a few phrases on a few different topics:

Yourself
    - Name, age, image/personality (Tá gruaig (what colour) orm) (Tá súile (what colour) agam)

Family - parents/guardians, brothers and sisters (Note: tá deirfiur amháin (1 sister) agam/ beirt deirfiureacha/ tríúr etc.), jobs, do you get on with them e.g. (Reitim go maith le (name) mar is duine deas/cabhrach/cliste í ( for a girl) or é (for a boy)/

School - name, number of pupils (tá cúig céad (500) daltaí sa scoil seo), Is í/é (í for girl/é for boy) (name) an príomhoide sa scoil seo. Is í/é (name) an leas-príomhoide sa scoil seo - (Who is the deputy principal). Is í/é (name) mo chara is fearr sa scoil (my best friend is). Is é máta an ábhar is fearr liom - maths is my favourite subject. Is fuath liom béarla - I don't like english (please don't say Irish!!)

There are so many topics - I'll give you a list of another few:
    • Your house and your area (Tá teach scoite agam - I have a detached house). (Tá trí seomra lapacha ann - threr are three bedrooms) (Is maith liom mo sheomra). (Tá an teach suite os comhair an bunscoil/síopa ceol...)
    • Hobbies - Is aoibhinn liom ag... seint ceol (playing music), ag leamh, ag imirt péil, ag snamh...
    • Plans for future - Ba mhaith liom a bheith i mo... mhuinteoir, altra (nurse), sagart (priest!!), doctiur (doctor), saighdeoir (soldier) etc. mar is post an siúmiuil é sin (it's an interesting job)
    • Topical issues - the environment/technology/drugs etc.
    If you don't want to talk about something say 'Nílim ag iarraidh plé (sounds like play!) an ábhar sin - tá sé gruama - which means I dont want to talk about that - it's depressing.

If you don't know the answer - tá brón orm - níl clú ar bith agam - I'm sorry I don't have a clue.

If you didn't hear the question - An ndéarfaidh tú an céist sin arís, le do thoil. - will you say that question again?

It isn't too late. You have two days left. If you read these through twenty times, you'll be flying.

The only way you will fail this exam is by not saying anything. And remember, everyone will make mistakes.

The very very best of luck! You can do it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Cian_

d1234 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Wow - that's terrible. Did you have any teacher at all or what was the story behind that? I'd certainly be getting either your parents/guardians or yourself onto the principal/board of management and even dept. of edu if it was that serious.

Here's your 'to do list' as such:
    • 5 entry questions
    • Poetry reading section
    • Sraith pictiur
    • Questions for sraith
    • General conversation

What you need to do:

Entry: greet the examiner with 'Dia Duit. Fáilte go dtí (Your schools name). They will then most likely ask you how you are and you can say something like 'Tá mé thar barr, go raibh maith agat'

5Qs: Learn these very well - 5marks

1.D’ainm
    Is mise ...... (Your full name in Irish) or (Your name) is ainm dom

2.D’aois
    Táim .... choose 1 of the following:
    17 = seacht mbliana déag d'aois
    18 = ocht mbliana déag d'aois
    19 = naoi mbliana déag d'aois

3.Do sheoladh baile
    Is é mo sholadh baile.... (whatever your address or town is) make sure it's in Irish!

4.Do dháta breithe
    Rugadh mé ar an (whatever date your birthday is - if you want it translated post it up)

5.Do scrúduimhir (Exam number)
    Is é mo scrúduimhir (whatever your exam number is)

You need to learn this extremely well - there is no other way around it.

Poetry: 35marks

This is an easy section to pick up marks in. The following link has each of the 5 poems. If your are in ordinary, they will generally ask you one of the easier poems like Geibheann. Yet, revise each of them. Listen to this guy first then try it with him and again on your own.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVL_ZTEaYyL90-gEJLNTvvQ

Note - his videos are on the second line with the blue background.

Sraith pictiur: 80marks

It would be rather difficult to start learning 20 sraiths at this stage. Have a look at them and pick out a few phrases like below:

Lá brea brothallach a bhí ann (It was a sunny day)
    Bhí Liam agus Síle ag.... (what were they doing?)
    Bhí

(what feeling) orthu example - bhí athas orthu, bhí brod orthu

What did they do in the second picture:
    - Chuaigh siad ag rith/ag siopadoireacht/ag campáil
    - D'ith siad a lón
    - Bhí siad ag ligeant a scith (relaxing)
    And etc etc.

To finish:
    Ní dhéanfaidh siad dearmad go deo an lá sin - they will never forget that day.

Think - what - where - when - why - who - how
    If you get really stuck, make it up e.g. Tá gruaig dubh ar Shíle. Tá súile gleasa ag Liam.

Learn a few phrases and throw them in!

Then you must come up with three questions for the examiner. Ask something like:
    Cá raibh an pictiur sin suite - where was this picture located
    Cén fáth a raibh athas/bron... ar na daoine - why were the people happy/sad..
    Ar thaitin an sraith sin leat - did you like this picture

There are five marks going for those questions so please learn them!!

General conversation - 120 marks - this section has the most marks.

Prepare and learn a few phrases on a few different topics:

Yourself
    - Name, age, image/personality (Tá gruaig (what colour) orm) (Tá súile (what colour) agam)

Family - parents/guardians, brothers and sisters (Note: tá deirfiur amháin (1 sister) agam/ beirt deirfiureacha/ tríúr etc.), jobs, do you get on with them e.g. (Reitim go maith le (name) mar is duine deas/cabhrach/cliste í ( for a girl) or é (for a boy)/

School - name, number of pupils (tá cúig céad (500) daltaí sa scoil seo), Is í/é (í for girl/é for boy) (name) an príomhoide sa scoil seo. Is í/é (name) an leas-príomhoide sa scoil seo - (Who is the deputy principal). Is í/é (name) mo chara is fearr sa scoil (my best friend is). Is é máta an ábhar is fearr liom - maths is my favourite subject. Is fuath liom béarla - I don't like english (please don't say Irish!!)

There are so many topics - I'll give you a list of another few:
    • Your house and your area (Tá teach scoite agam - I have a detached house). (Tá trí seomra lapacha ann - threr are three bedrooms) (Is maith liom mo sheomra). (Tá an teach suite os comhair an bunscoil/síopa ceol...)
    • Hobbies - Is aoibhinn liom ag... seint ceol (playing music), ag leamh, ag imirt péil, ag snamh...
    • Plans for future - Ba mhaith liom a bheith i mo... mhuinteoir, altra (nurse), sagart (priest!!), doctiur (doctor), saighdeoir (soldier) etc. mar is post an siúmiuil é sin (it's an interesting job)
    • Topical issues - the environment/technology/drugs etc.
    If you don't want to talk about something say 'Nílim ag iarraidh plé (sounds like play!) an ábhar sin - tá sé gruama - which means I dont want to talk about that - it's depressing.

If you don't know the answer - tá brón orm - níl clú ar bith agam - I'm sorry I don't have a clue.

If you didn't hear the question - An ndéarfaidh tú an céist sin arís, le do thoil. - will you say that question again?

It isn't too late. You have two days left. If you read these through twenty times, you'll be flying.

The only way you will fail this exam is by not saying anything. And remember, everyone will make mistakes.

The very very best of luck! You can do it!!

You seem to know quite a bit about the oral. Just a quick question, I know for a fact that I'm the 17th person on the list with a mix of higher level and ordinary level before me. School starts at 9, but on the first day doesn't the examiner talk to the group as a whole? so that means that the orals wont be starting at exactly 9.

Approximately what time do you think I'd be getting tested? because I'm thinking of taking a few hours in the morning off, to study rather than go to other classes and have more stuff on my mind during the day. Want to solely focus on Irish.
    Small Break is from 11-11:15 and Lunch is 1:35-2:10.
    Do you think she'd get to me before Lunch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 cc12313

We had a teacher well I use that term very loosely all she would do was put Irish words on the board and then tell us put them into sentences like Ta an ghrian ag taitneam. All that crap stuff.

I just need to know how to get past the sraith pictures I barely know 4

Cian_ wrote: »
    You seem to know quite a bit about the oral. Just a quick question, I know for a fact that I'm the 17th person on the list with a mix of higher level and ordinary level before me. School starts at 9, but on the first day doesn't the examiner talk to the group as a whole? so that means that the orals wont be starting at exactly 9.

Approximately what time do you think I'd be getting tested? because I'm thinking of taking a few hours in the morning off, to study rather than go to other classes and have more stuff on my mind during the day. Want to solely focus on Irish.
    Small Break is from 11-11:15 and Lunch is 1:35-2:10.
    Do you think she'd get to me before Lunch?

Hi there!!

I'm a student too so but I've a great teacher!! It really depends on the examiner to be honest. Most of the time either the head of your Irish dept or principal/vice will have a meeting with them when they arrive. This can last up to anytime or may not happen at all. Then the examiner may go up and speak to you as a group. From what I've heard, this will usually be an informal talk just saying the rules and running over the small things like no phones etc. Again it depends on the examiner, some will be really friendly and may tell a joke or wish you well, but others may just want to get the job done. Roughly they will get through 4 in an hour thought that can all change for example if your school has a lot of weakish students, that can take less time though they still have to keep them. So that leaves that you should be in or around the 4th hour (not taking the breaks into account). What I would do is I would ask someone to keep you updated, infact maybe two people as to how the queue is going if you are staying put at home.

Sorry that I can't directly answer your question directly but I'll try to look into it - mightn't get anywhere though!

Best of luck!!
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Ah here now,

Just relax. If you're not comfortable with numbers, don't bring them up. Most of the marks come from how relaxed and at ease you are while speaking irish, not the content you decide to speak about.

Just take some deep breaths, have the craic with the examiner, ask them if they're into x, y, z, see if you have any common ground ya can talk about.

You'll be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 junior c

I was never told about the format of the first 5 questions.When i was asked my name i gave it,with my address,age,birthday and number altogether.Will i lose marks for this?

junior c wrote: »
    I was never told about the format of the first 5 questions.When i was asked my name i gave it,with my address,age,birthday and number altogether.Will i lose marks for this?

Hi there,

Really depends on examiners but personally I would say that you're fine just as long as you said them right. Relax and even if they did, that's only 4 marks. But again, I think that you have nothing to worry about.

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

junior c wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about losing marks for this.

Examiners understand that you will be nervous.

A piece of advice my Irish teacher gave me was as long as you're speaking in Irish, and making sense, forget everything else.

My examiner asked me about some pretty difficult topics (something to do with a current affair topic that had only just hit the news a few days previously). I didn't know about it in English, let alone Irish! So I said (in Irish) that I hadn't read about it, but I HAD read about *another recent current affair* and just waffled away about that.

I ended up getting an A1 in Higher Level.

I would recommend that when you go into the room and the examiner asks how you are, tell them 'Ah, taim an-nerbhiseach!' (can't use fadas on my phone, sorry). A nice examiner will immediately start off nice and relaxed if you're upfront about being nervous. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I had mine today.
    Geibheinn as my poem and Wimbledon as my story.
    Wimbledon was the one I prayed for, and out of twenty got the one I wanted.
    I didn't know 1/2 things but went fairly we'll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 junior c

Thanks for the replies,working on french oral now.

Advertisement