Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help deciding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 30-03-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey folks,

Currently looking to upgrade my equipment to a Canon 1D MiiN. Currently have Canon 550D.

I know it would be an improvement to the image quality (switching from Crop Sensor to Full Frame). But since the Image sensor on the 1D MiiN is 8.2mp & the 550D is 18mp.

So what I need to know is would it be a smart choice to switch?

I just ask because of the mp difference

(I should add that I'm looking to get into photojournalism)

:):):):):):):):):)Thanks for the help in advance :):):):):):):)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

1dm2n is still a crop sensor albeit a 1.3x one instead of the 550 1.6x. Image quality will be better but noise will not be handled as well. If you stretch to the 1dmk3 there is quite a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 S_P_Photo

Thanks for the advice really helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

If you wanted to upgrade to Full Frame, then you can pick a 5D up for cheap enough and a 5d Mark 2 for a bit more.

Bear in mind that you do need good glass when using full frame cameras and the standard kit lens that came with your 550 won't work on a full frame camera

• Registered Users Posts: 11 S_P_Photo

swingking wrote: »
    If you wanted to upgrade to Full Frame, then you can pick a 5D up for cheap enough and a 5d Mark 2 for a bit more.

Bear in mind that you do need good glass when using full frame cameras and the standard kit lens that came with your 550 won't work on a full frame camera

Yeah I know but was having a look around on reviews & the 5D's aren't great for photojournalism, So I've decided to go with the 1D M2 (I know now it's not Full Frame) but it give's me the 8fps & I got it at a REALLY good deal on it. :D

Only thing is now I have to start stocking up on CF cards :(

Advertisement