Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the SFP advance be paid in oct this year?

Options
  • 30-03-2014 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

I loathe my dependence on it but as a dry stock non dairy farmer I am completely dependent on it and receiving the 50% advance in oct.
    Every year some adverse happening occurs to induce the early payment.
    What have we this year?
    Can the minister use the current beef price collapse?
    Glanbia and their 90 days credit rule also makes the timing of the SFP payment critical.
    Having to hold out for payment until December would leave a lot of people under pressure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

20silkcut wrote: »
    I loathe my dependence on it but as a dry stock non dairy farmer I am completely dependent on it and receiving the 50% advance in oct.
    Every year some adverse happening occurs to induce the early payment.
    What have we this year?
    Can the minister use the current beef price collapse?
    Glanbia and their 90 days credit rule also makes the timing of the SFP payment critical.
    Having to hold out for payment until December would leave a lot of people under pressure.
    I would presume that 50% will be paid in October. I'm banking on it. That's 7 months away 20silkcut..... get the application correct first. And read the booklet that came in the Journal. No one should can afford a mistake on maps this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

benjydagg wrote: »
    I would presume that 50% will be paid in October.

Surely there will be no certainty on this until the minister announces it just before he goes to the Ploughing match in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Guaranteed it will be 50% in oct, he will come up with some reason floods, drought, prices, etc. why? because the pay and file deadline is also then and in most cases its the sfp that pays it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Guaranteed it will be 50% in oct, he will come up with some reason floods, drought, prices, etc. why? because the pay and file deadline is also then and in most cases its the sfp that pays it.
    was there not talk of the pay and file date being moved to june or something?

whelan2 wrote: »
    was there not talk of the pay and file date being moved to june or something?

Now that you mention it ok. It better not or I'm nobbled, thats the leanest time here til about oct when we get harvest money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Now that you mention it ok. It better not or I'm nobbled, thats the leanest time here til about oct when we get harvest money.

Department of finance claim that it's difficult to announce a budget (which has been brought forward already) when they don't know how much is coming from pay and file, We're hoping that they will allow us to file in August (or whenever) and pay in October.
    Farmers shouldn't be dependent on October payment, the payment date for SFP is the first week of December and October is just a concession if your account is cleared, although 90% get paid in Oct but that still leaves 10000 farmers clogging up DEPT phones
    Never depend on it in Oct to pay a bank loan

I wouldnt worrry about a bankloan, when setting it up here anyway its always dec repayments but theres no putting the taxman off until a time that suits cashflow. Grainbuyers are hard to pin down after harvest its usually oct before you get money and 1st dec sfp, thats it then for a year so by june the bank is empty.Bad job to have to go and get a bank loan to pay the tax man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I wouldnt worrry about a bankloan, when setting it up here anyway its always dec repayments but theres no putting the taxman off until a time that suits cashflow. Grainbuyers are hard to pin down after harvest its usually oct before you get money and 1st dec sfp, thats it then for a year so by june the bank is empty.Bad job to have to go and get a bank loan to pay the tax man.

Would the preliminary tax payed the previous year not have you almost sorted ? You can pay in a bit every month aswell if it suited you to have it gathered for oct .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

moy83 wrote: »
    Would the preliminary tax payed the previous year not have you almost sorted ? You can pay in a bit every month aswell if it suited you to have it gathered for oct .

Just be aware if paying preliminary tax monthly by direct debit the money comes out on the 9th of each month. This can not be changed and might not suit everyone

Advertisement