Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeated de-shnotting

Options
  • 29-03-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I seem to be constantly de-shnotting when cycling. This requires regular blow outs using the finger-pressing-one-side-of-nose-and-blowing-other side routine. Often messy. It's a curse when in formation, as the guy behind me or beside me might get it. It landed on the side window of a passing car last year.
    Thing is, I have to de-shnot way more than any of the other cyclists in my club. Maybe every 5-10 minutes. Is this normal? Is there a cure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If in formation, and I presume not in a race, just say "I gotta blow a snot" and move out and do it. If in a race, do it on your top tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

outfox wrote: »
    I seem to be constantly de-shnotting when cycling. This requires regular blow outs using the finger-pressing-one-side-of-nose-and-blowing-other side routine. Often messy. It's a curse when in formation, as the guy behind me or beside me might get it. It landed on the side window of a passing car last year.
    Thing is, I have to de-shnot way more than any of the other cyclists in my club. Maybe every 5-10 minutes. Is this normal? Is there a cure?

Move somewhere warm and sunny. I'm terrible for it too, warm weather is the only thing that helps me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

image003.jpg

??

nak wrote: »
    Move somewhere warm and sunny. I'm terrible for it too, warm weather is the only thing that helps me.

If my garmin went on the blink and I was in a strange location, I could make my way home following my trail of snot rockets. I hate this cold, wet weather we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

No apologies or excuses needed. Use the thumb and snot at will; courtesy only demands a slight crouch forward. Aim for your downtub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

It's our weather, I suffer from similar problems myself, especially if cycling in the morning. I know my problems come from my chest as well as my sinuses, so tablets generally don't do the job.
    Clear away until the winter clears away!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Got covered in it last time I went for a club spin (about a year ago).

I never get much mucous so can't relate. Can you wait until you've rotated to the back of the group?

Is there any nutrition al value in snot? It looks like and has the same substance as a gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

Im a big desnotter myself. I use breath easy nose stips when racing seems to help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

In all my years on a bike it's something I've never had to do. :confused:

• Advertisement

Count yourself lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

No apologies or excuses needed. Use the thumb and snot at will; courtesy only demands a slight crouch forward. Aim for your downtub.

Courtesy demands that you don't snot on someone. Unloading at will and regardless of those in your vicinity will not gain you many friends. Spitting into the wind at head height is another practice that riders should abstain from. Snot into your glove and wipe it in your shorts if you think anyone might be in danger of your unwanted decoration.

I don't understand why some riders think it is ok to snot and spit all over the bunch just because they are on a bike. Would these guys blow a big greener over a passing pedestrian on a city street?
    No excuse for this behaviour.
    If you need to blow your nose please do so at the side or back of the group and use a method that will not inflict your crap onto somebody else. Blow away from the group or downwards.
    A guy, back in the day, used to carry a clean cloth handkerchief for this purpose.

To summarise, 1. blow downwards and away from the group preferably whilst on the back.
    2.Blow into your glove and wipe into your own shorts.
    3. Bring a handkerchief.

Do not snot over another rider in the bunch. Even a friend will become offended at this practice and fisticuffs could quite easily follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

ragazzo wrote: »
    Courtesy demands that you don't snot on someone. Unloading at will and regardless of those in your vicinity will not gain you many friends. Spitting into the wind at head height is another practice that riders should abstain from. Snot into your glove and wipe it in your shorts if you think anyone might be in danger of your unwanted decoration.

I don't understand why some riders think it is ok to snot and spit all over the bunch just because they are on a bike. Would these guys blow a big greener over a passing pedestrian on a city street?
    No excuse for this behaviour.
    If you need to blow your nose please do so at the side or back of the group and use a method that will not inflict your crap onto somebody else. Blow away from the group or downwards.
    A guy, back in the day, used to carry a clean cloth handkerchief for this purpose.

To summarise, 1. blow downwards and away from the group preferably whilst on the back.
    2.Blow into your glove and wipe into your own shorts.
    3. Bring a handkerchief.

Do not snot over another rider in the bunch. Even a friend will become offended at this practice and fisticuffs could quite easily follow.

3. Brink a handkerchief. Why the hell would you bring this on a spin. It's not a Gentlemans Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

3. Brink a handkerchief. Why the hell would you bring this on a spin. It's not a Gentlemans Club.

To wipe your inevitable tears after some snot covered gentleman has words or more with you and you discover that it sometimes pays to behave like something resembling a gentleman rather than a snot filled missile dropping bombs on all and sundry. Capisci!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It might be the guinness but this made me feel ill (happens to me too)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Whats your house like ? Is it damp/ moldy in places? I find when I get out i might be caught up for the first ten min or so and then clear up. At the moment im living in a pretty damp house in college and I find myself caught up worse than before, the same goes for a few of my housemates who play sports etc. As mentioned above weather plays a big role too

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Thanks for all the replies. I do what some of you suggested, and hold it until I'm at the back of the group. But sometimes I forget, and the need arises when I'm halfway back up to the front. De-shnotted all over my new top this morning - tried to direct it over my shoulder and the wind slapped it onto my top. Looked like a slug had crawled up my arm.
    Peter T - house isn't damp or mouldy.
    BTW, this happens when I'm doing trail walks too. Although not on the Camino. So it must be a climate thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Maybe trying blowing a little less severely? If you go for a really big cleanout, it always drags out of you and ends on your shoulder, in my experience. A short sharp, nit too vigourous, blow does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

hurl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Raam wrote: »
    If my garmin went on the blink and I was in a strange location, I could make my way home following my trail of snot rockets. I hate this cold, wet weather we have.

That is just tooo funny! :D:D

But you could try Otrivine! Not recommended for prolonged usage, but a drop in each nostril will clear you out pre-ride!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Same here - never had to do it on or off the bike. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,887 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Same here - never had to do it on or off the bike. :confused:

you've never had to blow your nose? Is this you:

Lordvoldemort.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm the same, I must loose several hundred ml's of the stuff on long spins. It eases somewhat in summer but never totally. I have tried breathing only through my mouth but it makes no noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

loyatemu wrote: »
    you've never had to blow your nose? Is this you:
    I've never felt the need to have to blow out snot in public just as I've never felt the need to defecate in public!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I am in the excess snot category but I try hard to dispose of the stuff into my hand or top. It's mortifying though..
    anyway I find that eating some foods near the time of the spin can aggrevate things. Some foods cause some people to produce extra mucus...

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I can only de-snot from my right nostril. If I do the left I just end up covered in snots.
    So now I only ever have to do it from the right. That's why I think it's as much a habit as anything else.
    I have a similar thing with spitting - in a football match I'll spit every couple of minutes. Once I go indoors, no need to spit whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

If give it welly during a snot rocket and am particularly bunged up, it comes out my eye and "fogs" up my glasses. What a great thread :)

maloner wrote: »
    If give it welly during a snot rocket and am particularly bunged up, it comes out my eye and "fogs" up my glasses. What a great thread :)

Close that eye when snotting. I get the same in my left eye when clearing my left nostril.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

My nose runs like a tap when I'm out on the bike.

Along with other essential cycling skills (track-standing, not crashing, racing) I've never mastered the 'snot-rocket'. I've tried really really hard but it always goes everywhere but the road. So I just blow on my glove and flick it off straightaway.That seems to work and nobody has complained so far. If I have to spit while in a group I'll wait until I'm at the back or at least on the inside of the group and not in a headwind.

I've been snotted on several times. The most memorable was in my first or second Club League race when a member of Orwell got me nearly full face. I thought it was all part of the rough and tumble of inter-club rivalry. A sort of gooey-green cycling baptism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Jaysus. Maloner and Raam have it bad. I thought my de-shnotting was problematic.

Advertisement