Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the weather worse this spring

Options
  • 29-03-2014 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Is this springs weather worse than last year,it seems worse 2me.Last year at least we got a ok jan/feb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

I would rather have it like this than have last years April and May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Damn right.
    Hasn't turned April yet so it's not late.

Tiz still spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Figerty

At least there is a spring this year.
    Last year there was Winter,, then Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

not much spring here yet, have cows out but in 3 fields to be reseeded so doesnt matter so much that they are marking them, meant to spray them off next wek so if any other fields are not dry enough will go back into shed, no point poaching for the sake of leaving them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Ask me at the end of April.

The one negative is we had a fair bit of sleet, which is bad for any animal outdoors, worse than hail or rain. Last while very cold, was also fairly dry here. Give me the option I'll pick cold & dry over sleet any day.

But it's too early to say IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Last year was better here for grass anyway. I have still to get round to getting fertilizer out. the fieldss that got slurry are greening nicely but still havent got any decent covers, im blaming it on leaving stock out too long as being part of the cause but not all of it. prices were a bit better last spring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Grazing certainly way more challenging this year, last year we only had the one really wet week around paddys weekend. However at least the grass is growing this year!!

Miname wrote: »
    im blaming it on leaving stock out too long as being part of the cause but not all of it.

I dunno, I closed up around Dec 3rd and am still short of grass with fert being out a few weeks now. The weather has not been the best since mid December, an odd decent spell here and there but shag all in total.

The father gave me one of those ould timer "was that a compliment or not"'s last week, "Soon you'll almost have grass" :D

This time last year was better for grass. But late April and May were awful cold windy and wet, rather have that in March/April than April/May.
    Everything has it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

At least this year, there seems to be plenty of fodder about.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »

Not in the east coast. But cheaper grain, and a decent harvest of maize and wholecrop makes a huge different.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

bought 25 bales of silage for the sucklers for 20 euro each off a neighbour a few weeks ago when feed looked tight. The major difference between last year and this is the feed-silage and straw- is alot better quality. cows milking very well this year so far

I dunno, I closed up around Dec 3rd and am still short of grass with fert being out a few weeks now. The weather has not been the best since mid December, an odd decent spell here and there but shag all in total.

Did you carry much cover over the winter, or when you closed up in Dec had every blade of grass been eaten down? Last winter was great for growth, this winter not as much, but grass definitely did grow by us here, it was helped by starting to close paddocks in early Oct, I had most stock in by mid Nov I think, that was due to my average farm cover being too low rather than poor grazing conditions. Holding over them few covers was much to the annoyance of my dad ha, who then proceeded to tell me I had made a mistake when grazing them out in Feb was very challenging! Ya can't win ha!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Did you carry much cover over the winter, or when you closed up in Dec had every blade of grass been eaten down? Last winter was great for growth, this winter not as much, but grass definitely did grow by us here, it was helped by starting to close paddocks in early Oct, I had most stock in by mid Nov I think, that was due to my average farm cover being too low rather than poor grazing conditions. Holding over them few covers was much to the annoyance of my dad ha, who then proceeded to tell me I had made a mistake when grazing them out in Feb was very challenging! Ya can't win ha!

Shag all Tim, I kept more stock (lambs and ewes marked for selling) later into the year than I normally would as was looking at an avenue to increase stock levels that didn't work out.

I reckon the storms we had didn't help either, blew a lot of salt onto the land. I notice a good number of evergreens in particular in this area with one side burned brown.

whelan2 wrote: »
    bought 25 bales of silage for the sucklers for 20 euro each off a neighbour a few weeks ago when feed looked tight. The major difference between last year and this is the feed-silage and straw- is alot better quality. cows milking very well this year so far

Jesus.
    €20 !!
    He's wasting his time at that money.

bbam wrote: »
    Jesus.
    €20 !!
    they where lovely bales, he's a good neighbour and has loads more if we want them , he delivered them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

it seems to be getting harder every year to cope with the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

tanko wrote: »

Plenty of trailers of bales and pit silage going the road around here. As you say at least the fodder is there to be bought.

There is no nature in it yet. Wind that would cut you in two, high water table and feck all grass growth.

Time enough going with the bag yet. Too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

worst day of the year here still raining:-(

it would drive you to the pub,sick of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Grazing silage ground here now and its starting to get very sift under foot. Won't take much more rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is it me or is the spring getting latter every year, i think housing is getting more and more important

i think the first of may will soon be the new paddys day in farming terms, now thats depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

No comparison between this year and last, this spring is a disaster.
    Last year, cows out full time, this year only by day.
    Last year, silage ground grazed, this year too soft to go near.
    Last year, everywhere got a cwt of fert, this year only 2t spread in total.
    Last year, slurry spread on paddocks after grazing, this year tanks full again.
    Last year, corn was sown, this year only just taken the paint off the boards.
    And I could go on and on and on.
    I'll also take dry and cold over wet and soft any time

cows back in, were only out a few days here and there anyway, be lucky to be back out for easter goin by tonights forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

bbam wrote: »
    Jesus.
    €20 !!

He is taking no account of the N.P.K that's going out the gate in those bales

A good year here, ewes going out on 8 cms grass, this time last year there was 400kg nuts/day going out in the quad and snacker.
    Have enough grass for 2-3 weeks and weather supposed to warm up in the next few days

rancher wrote: »
    He is taking no account of the N.P.K that's going out the gate in those bales
    no he is being a good neighbour, great to have them, i will look after him for something else later in the year, great to see not everyone is out to make a quick buck

such a doom and gloom thread, its still march , yes land is wet , theres nothing we can do about it. (except moan:cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

whelan2 wrote: »
    such a doom and gloom thread, its still march , yes land is wet , theres nothing we can do about it. (except moan:cool:)

Still march..... just. Next weeks weather looks bad to,but all will be forgotten if the rest of year is good (fingers crossed)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I ve a reseed here thats flying if it keeps going ill be baling it in around three weeks

Advertisement