Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friesan bull calves acting odd

Options
  • 29-03-2014 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

We've three Friesan bull calves about three weeks old, that have started sucking off of other bull calves. Started with one, before I knew it two others had started.
    We moved them back to the individual pens a week ago, as the other bulls were declining from the pucking they were getting (especially one), and today moved them back, hoping the habit had broken, but no, the three of them were straight back at the one poor little man, who is looking decidedly shook, so they were separated again.
    They were given a dose of Ketoz, on advice the boss was given.

Anyone seen this before or have any idea what brought on the homosexual blowjobs.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

A few years ago we had a paedophile weanling. He was about 6 months old and he would be all over the back of every young calf in the place. He even had a go at the donkey. Maybe they just enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

A few years ago we had a paedophile weanling. He was about 6 months old and he would be all over the back of every young calf in the place. He even had a go at the donkey. Maybe they just enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

TheFarrier wrote: »

We've three Friesan bull calves about three weeks old, that have started sucking off of other bull calves.

Anyone seen this before or have any idea what brought on the homosexual blowjobs.

Rarely have I laughed as much at two consecutive posts in a thread before!

So much so I hate to give a serious answer

In the case of the bull calves I think they are just teething + mad to get a drink of milk and will suck or gnaw on anything…..even a navel…you have to admit its not too far off the correct location…we had lads a while back that would not only do this but gnaw at bits of wood on the divisions etc - presume its the equivalent of a baby teething or a puppy chewing the **** out of a couch…I think after a while though it turns into bullying as the stronger calves (not always physically the strongest) won't take it

we used to curb it by smearing the navel of the lad getting sucked with something unpleasant to taste like chemo unction or iodine

I presume in the case of the paedophillic weanling you just have a weanling with a high sex drive!

When I was a kid we used to have a little bunt of bullock that must not have been squeezed properly that would try to ride almost anything…..used to be hilarious watching him try to get up on his tippy toes on a cow almost three times his height only to see his short little back legs slip under her and him fall on the broad of his back………….still kept at it though, the lad had no shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Had a good laugh as well :)
    Maybe move the poor unfortunate lad out to another pen to give him a break from the unwanted attention.
    Although the 3 Musketeers will probably move on to another culprit.
    I find that after feeding milk replacer that if you shake up the hay and give them crunch it stops navel/ear/mouth sucking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Base price wrote: »
    Had a good laugh as well :)
    Maybe move the poor unfortunate lad out to another pen to give him a break from the unwanted attention.
    Although the 3 Musketeers will probably move on to another culprit.
    I find that after feeding milk replacer that if you shake up the hay and give them crunch it stops navel/ear/mouth sucking.

We had a batch do that a few years ago. They would stand round in a ring sucking each other.
    Had the DVO in doing an inspection for pig herd number and he said it was no harm don't be worrying about it. They were grand, it's frustrating to see but no harm came off it.
    They kept it up till they went. Feckrs !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 harry molloy

Still laughing! If you let the teat feeder with them from a young age sucking won't be a problem. They will suck the feeder instead.
    Dairy heifer calves sucking is worse, apparently if they are being fed high scc milk and they suck the infection will be in their baby udder until they calf down with mastitis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Still laughing! If you let the teat feeder with them from a young age sucking won't be a problem. They will suck the feeder instead.
    Dairy heifer calves sucking is worse, apparently if they are being fed high scc milk and they suck the infection will be in their baby udder until they calf down with mastitis!

Put stockholm tar on navel

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Thanks for all your replies, glad to know its not anything too serious.

Only thing is, it's not the navel that they are rooting at, more the flute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies, glad to know its not anything too serious.

Only thing is, it's not the navel that they are rooting at, more the flute.
    Ah stop please, tears are running down my face laughing :P

Advertisement