Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taping for cable rub

Options
  • 29-03-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Do road bikes need to be taped to prevent cable rub? The hydraulic cables on my mtb can make sh*t of the frame, just wondering if the same applies to Road bikes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Cable tie stops all rubbing.....
    14e5u7s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I buy small thick plastic stickers and place them under where the cable might rub the frame.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Cable tie stops all rubbing.....
    14e5u7s.jpg

That's a terrible solution TBH. You'll get cable and cable tie rub that way.

I have small rubber sleeves over my cable sleeves in any position they may
    Touch as well as the stickers Raam linked above. They came on the bike.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »

I have small rubber sleeves over my cable sleeves in any position they may
    Touch as well as the stickers Raam linked above. They came on the bike.

I find the cable sleeves cause the rub instead, maybe not as much, but still some. Perhaps I had rubbish ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Raam wrote: »
    I find the cable sleeves cause the rub instead, maybe not as much, but still some. Perhaps I had rubbish ones.

You could well be right, maybe the stickers are the actual solution and I just happen to have both.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 31,047 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tidy cable routing helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Electrical tape. SHould be able to get a colour to match the frame. And its cheap for cheapo's like me.
    You can remove it when washing your bike every few days and replace with a brand new strip.

bcmf wrote: »
    Electrical tape. SHould be able to get a colour to match the frame. And its cheap for cheapo's like me.
    You can remove it when washing your bike every few days and replace with a brand new strip.

False economy. I have yet to replace one of the stickers I put on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Your not washing enough then.
    BTW is the batter ready yet! A shockiing waste of Dutch Gold :D

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    Your not washing enough then.
    BTW is the batter ready yet! A shockiing waste of Dutch Gold :D

The batter was ready when the pic was taken. The fish was delicious. The rest of the Dutch Gold was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

3M helicopter tape is the business. It sticks great, doesn't get discoloured and is practically invisible when applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Brian? wrote: »
    Nope, sorry, not a bit of it.
    Cable tie is tight so it's not moving and the cables themselves only touch the headset if I turn the handlebars near 90 degrees. Prior to tieing them up the cables were moving around and rubbing the top of the forks and sliding around leaving marks. That's completely stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

You need a new bike with internal cables. Can't believe I'm the first to suggest it.

Advertisement