Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest S&P 500 index fund

Options
  • 29-03-2014 2:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey all,

In the US vanguard offer a very cheap S&P index fund, which is the cheapest for an Irish investor?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭Cucking Funt

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Probably Vanguard etfs listed on the Euro exchanges

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 spinach_eater

Hey all,

In the US vanguard offer a very cheap S&P index fund, which is the cheapest for an Irish investor?

Thanks in advance!

irish people can buy VOO , the vanguard s+p etf , cost is .05% per anum but of course its dollar denominated

if you want to own this index in euro , you can buy it on the Amsterdam exchange , ticker symbol is VUSA , cost is .09 % per anum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭Cucking Funt

Thanks for your replies!

So through a broker then? Whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

TD Waterhouse/Davy seem to be the biggest two. Check around for a good deal.

Just a note that many forget, Assuming you are euro currency, don't forget even if you buy a euro denominated S+P 500 etf you are still making a bet on euro/dollar when buying s+p500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

VFINX but.....while I cannot predict the market, I do believe the market is going to drop at some point in the near future, it is at an all time high now and will drop-but I cannot predict the future.........

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bke

I think we're a quarter of the way into another bull run which should last for a couple of years. This year will be tough after last years 30% growth but overall I'm happy to stay in stocks right now. Would caution against a tech correction though. I think if any of the Apple, Google, Facebook, etc (with very high p/e) start to slow down in growth then it only takes one wave of panic, from long investors who want to lock in gains, to start a correction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 sprained_wang

TD Waterhouse/Davy seem to be the biggest two. Check around for a good deal.

Just a note that many forget, Assuming you are euro currency, don't forget even if you buy a euro denominated S+P 500 etf you are still making a bet on euro/dollar when buying s+p500

I wouldn't go near TD , they have an incredibly screwy online platform , their cheap but it aint worth it

davy are irish and so incredibly expensive but if someone only needs to buy once and then hold , it doesn't really matter ,anyone who buys and sells often would be insane to be with any of the main irish brokers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Out of curiosity, why not then just buy directly in US dollars?

For example, I get paid in UAE dirhams, which is a dollar-pegged currency. I'm going to open a Saxo account and plan on buying VWRL and VUSA on the Amsterdam exchange by converting my dirhams to euro.
    But if what you say is true (and I have no doubt that it is true), then wouldn't I be better off forgetting about the euros and just buying in dollars?

** To my knowledge one non-currency-related advantage of buying outside of America is that you can dodge US estate taxes on any lump sum should you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 green98

Hi to all of the above!
    What platform did you use to invest please? planning for the near future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 green98

Hi to all of the above!
    What platform did you use to invest please? planning for the near future!

Advertisement