Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History HL Essay Writing

Options
  • 29-03-2014 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi. I'm really annoyed with my history mock result (65%), especially since my teacher always gives me at least b1s. The main problem is that I dont know how to structure the essays in a way to get maximum marks. The marking scheme confuses me. My teacher is no good and has absolutely no historical knowledge. <irrelevant remark snipped>
    I have mostly taught history to myself and this is really frustrating to me and my classmates. If anyone has any tips on how to write an A1 essay I would be forwver grateful. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Some suggestions -

1. The key to writing a good essay is to answer the question asked. Too many students attempt to answer what they would have liked the question to be, not what it is. What are you being asked to do?
    2. Note key timeframes and/or personalities/case studies etc.
    3. Target to write 8 paragraphs with the intent to get 8 out of 12 marks per paragraph (including intro and conclusion)
    4. Introduction can include background information
    5. For each paragraph pick a relevant issue - outline the issue - explain its relevance - back up your point with some evidence - link it back to the essay question (4 to 5 sentences). Do the same with each paragraph
    6. In your conclusion introduce some new information - i.e. the future consequences of events or issues.

you can find some sample essays here that might help -
    http://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/europe-1920-1945/sample-essays/
    http://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/northern-ireland-1949-1993/sample-essays/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi. I'm really annoyed with my history mock result (65%), especially since my teacher always gives me at least b1s. The main problem is that I dont know how to structure the essays in a way to get maximum marks. The marking scheme confuses me. My teacher is no good and has absolutely no historical knowledge. <irrelevant remark snipped>
    I have mostly taught history to myself and this is really frustrating to me and my classmates. If anyone has any tips on how to write an A1 essay I would be forwver grateful. Thanks!

What way do you want it?
    Your teacher is no good, but when you get a B1 from them you think that's more correct than the 65% from someone you don't know?
    Has your teacher ever corrected? If not, then the external mark may be more accurate.

You structure a history essay like you structure any essay. State at the start what you are going to do, do it and sum up.

Make sure you answer the question you are asked. In every subject this is where people lose marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

spurious wrote: »
    What way do you want it?
    Your teacher is no good, but when you get a B1 from them you think that's more correct than the 65% from someone you don't know?
    Has your teacher ever corrected? If not, then the external mark may be more accurate.

You structure a history essay like you structure any essay. State at the start what you are going to do, do it and sum up.

Make sure you answer the question you are asked. In every subject this is where people lose marks.

The 65% is the reliable mark. It's just that I didnt realise that the teacher was marking it way too easily until now. I don't know if she has corrected or not. I have asked but I don't suppose it is my business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The 65% is the reliable mark. It's just that I didnt realise that the teacher was marking it way too easily until now. I don't know if she has corrected or not. I have asked but I don't suppose it is my business.

I would say it's your business, to know if the person marking has any experience doing it for real.

Did the marker give any indication where you are losing your marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I agree with spurious - and I would also ask - how do you know the mock result is the reliable mark? do you know who marked the mock paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

I agree with spurious - and I would also ask - how do you know the mock result is the reliable mark? do you know who marked the mock paper?
    Someone from DEB must have marked it. They didn't make any comment except from the marks for each paragraph, and one comment on the question: "How successful was the approach of Parnell and the home rule party in the elections of 1885 and 1886?", which was 'remember to mention 3rd home rule bill'. To be honest I didn't mention the third home rule bill because I thought it was too far into the future.

Someone from DEB must have marked it. They didn't make any comment except from the marks for each paragraph, and one comment on the question: "How successful was the approach of Parnell and the home rule party in the elections of 1885 and 1886?", which was 'remember to mention 3rd home rule bill'. To be honest I didn't mention the third home rule bill because I thought it was too far into the future.

That's quite poor marking. The question clearly states what the date range was.

Advertisement