Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avast Antivirus warnings on Macbook pro

Options
  • 29-03-2014 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have a Macbook pro and use free Avast Antivirus. When the scan completes I get the following details.
    _____
    Infection Details:

Path:Applications/iDVD.app/Content/Resources/205_Family_thmb.tif
    Files with warnings in archive:1.
    Error 42120 ARJ archive is corrupt

Path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MediaKit.framework/Versions/A/Loaders/MKDrivers.bundle/Contents/Resources
    Files with warnings in archive:1.
    Error 42110 The file is a decompression bomb.
    _________

Does anyone know how I can fix these issues so I dont get the warninngs again? I cant fix them with Avast

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

First of all, uninstall Avast. You don't need it. Secondly, run a permissions check in Disk Utility, or download an all in one administration tool like Onyx.

But definitely uninstall Avast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Zcott wrote: »
    First of all, uninstall Avast. You don't need it. Secondly, run a permissions check in Disk Utility, or download an all in one administration tool like Onyx.

But definitely uninstall Avast.

Why uninstall Avast?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I personally would uninstall avast too all it's doing is slowing your system down, wasting battery and its known to cause kernal panics and Internet connection issues with mavericks. I'm not a fan of virus scanners though.
    As above download onyx or magican and you should be able to fix your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Why uninstall Avast?

Macs aren't prone to viruses like Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭jamesd

Zcott wrote: »
    Macs aren't prone to viruses like Windows.

Not prone or never get them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've never had a virus, never used AV software, never run any maintenance apps and I've been using Macs for almost 15 years. I've two Macs at the moment, one of them over 4 years old, and both are running perfectly.

Mac anti-virus apps are placebos. They mostly only scan for harmless Windows viruses. Even if you are on a Windows network, the Windows machines can protect themselves better than you can. The rest of the time they waste system resources, slowing your system to a crawl, or in extreme cases, hosing the whole OS, requiring a clean install.

Of course, as people have been telling me for the last 15 years, Macs are becoming a bigger target, etc. Whatever, I'll worry about that when it happens.

Advertisement