Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Bike Fit Story.

Options
  • 28-03-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

Just thought id share my bike fitting experience with the good boardsies...
    quick bit of background on myself first. I'm 29, been cycling (properly) since summer 2012, joined my local club in October of that year. Completed/competed (which ever you prefer) several sportives inmy first full yr as a club member, including Tour of Meath, Tour of Louth, Lap the Lough, Cycle for St. Cathrines.
    Initially i didn't get into cycling to start racing, but i guess you could say my completive side just emerged and i "graduated" from the local coffee run to a longer, more intense club spin, with the all important coffee stop at the end instead of half way through.
    Having done the clubs, Nyrs eve TT, 16k in 28.37, I decided that this year ive taken out a club competition licence, and eventually decided to get a bike fit done.
    I booked into the nearest store that does a specific bike fit, the specialized BG fit.
    After a brief chat with the guy about any particular aches/pains/annoying niggles i experience during club spins, he measured my flexibility/leg length/seat bones and all other relevant dimensions required, and observed me as i spun away on the turbo trainer for 40 mins or so.
    My saddle had to be moved forward by 10mm, up by 5mm,forward by 16mm.
    These "tweaks" increaced my knee angle by 5 degrees and he also changed my stem to decreace my drop from 7cm to 4.5 cm.
    Due to illness, ive been unable to get out on a propper (80k +) spin, and ive only done a couple of turbo sessions since.
    I can, however, notice a marked improvement in the comfort of my turbo sessions. Having previously experienced an uncomfortable pain in my left elbow and shoulder, the fit seems to have gotten rid of this pain. I do however feel as if im sitting up too much, but as i said, ive only been on the turbo so i guess my Club spin next week will be the real test for the overall results/benifits of the fit......
    If anyones interested, ill keep ye posted.......

cheers for reading my rambles....Love/Peace/Respect
    Lizzylad

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Well written and looking good for the future, as an add on to the bike fitting you should have the vo2 max test done here
    http://www.ucd.ie/sportandhealth/sss/laboratory/

It will give you even more structure to help training and if you do it say every six months it will give you a good assessment of your fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

Theres a great app for people who can't get into the store.
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bike-fast-fit/id710935084?mt=8&uo=4

I used it and made the appropriate changes and it made a big difference on my winter bike.
    I must get it done properly tho on my new pony.
    Anyone know of a good place in cork to get it done, I asked the edge and they're charging an arm and a leg! plus I'm not that confident in getting it done there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Yo elnino23,
    Does that "Fast Bike Fit" app work if you don't have a turbo trainer, and just want to pedal backwards?

Anyone know a place in Galway or Athlone that do a bike fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Borderfox wrote: »
    Well written and looking good for the future, as an add on to the bike fitting you should have the vo2 max test done here
    http://www.ucd.ie/sportandhealth/sss/laboratory/

It will give you even more structure to help training and if you do it say every six months it will give you a good assessment of your fitness

Cheers Borderfox...i was looking for something like that to help track my training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Yo elnino23,
    Does that "Fast Bike Fit" app work if you don't have a turbo trainer, and just want to pedal backwards?

You'd need or have to borrow a turbo trainer. To be honest you can do the basic one yourself based on youtube videos.

The more advanced one as per the OP is a different story.

The basic fundamentals I took from mine recently were that you have to chop yourself in two. The hips and legs/pedaling have to do with the saddle height/forwards/backwards/tilt.

"Reach" is the other upper half and has to do with bike size/stem, at a basic level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

Yo elnino23,

Yeah it would work no problem

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Yo elnino23,

bikefit.ie in oranmore. highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

What are the lads like in Worldwide Cycles Clonmel??

Advertisement