Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trout fishing best times

Options
  • 28-03-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Hi all wanting to know when good time or month is to fish for them? When is best time of day to do it also. As far as ino midday is best or before dark as they have no eyes lids so light is heavy on there eyes if im correct?

Just want to see whats best

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

this time of year (early season) i prefer to fish through the middle of the day when the water might have warmed slightly enough to switch the fish on or cause a hatch. Later in the season when mid day could possibly be hot id go early morning or later in the afternoon.

if during the summer it was going to be a bright sunny clear day id go early or late. If it was a nice over cast day id fish through the middle of the day.

These are just basic guides. You can target fish during certain hatched which only occur really early or later in thee day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

First thing in the morning or late evening although the trout tend to be at the flies in evening time so not much will get them to bite other than fly.
    Small 0 mepps might tempt them.
    I prefer to fish a minnow in morning times in deep water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you're talking about fly fishing (real fishing ;) ) then it depends on the weather, fly hatches, and even the river. At the moment my local trout river fishes best in the morning up to early afternoon using nymphs or black gnats. In high summer and sunny weather there's little point fishing around noon. Mid summer onwards the best time is usually the evening. Any time it's raining produces decent catches as well on the fly.
    That said, any time you can get out is a good time and most times will turn up some trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

this time of year (early season) i prefer to fish through the middle of the day when the water might have warmed slightly enough to switch the fish on or cause a hatch. Later in the season when mid day could possibly be hot id go early morning or later in the afternoon.

if during the summer it was going to be a bright sunny clear day id go early or late. If it was a nice over cast day id fish through the middle of the day.

These are just basic guides. You can target fish during certain hatched which only occur really early or later in thee day.

Thanks for that ill keep it in mind:)

First thing in the morning or late evening although the trout tend to be at the flies in evening time so not much will get them to bite other than fly.
    Small 0 mepps might tempt them.
    I prefer to fish a minnow in morning times in deep water.

So probley early morning then yes? How about earth worms? Do they be ok for trout in morning say? By minnow u mean a lure yes?

• Advertisement

If you're talking about fly fishing (real fishing ;) ) then it depends on the weather, fly hatches, and even the river. At the moment my local trout river fishes best in the morning up to early afternoon using nymphs or black gnats. In high summer and sunny weather there's little point fishing around noon. Mid summer onwards the best time is usually the evening. Any time it's raining produces decent catches as well on the fly.
    That said, any time you can get out is a good time and most times will turn up some trout.

Sorry no not fly fising havent got around to it yet probley not for another while looks bit tricky lol. But thanks for info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

Seller159 wrote: »
    Sorry no not fly fising havent got around to it yet probley not for another while looks bit tricky lol. But thanks for info :)

best kind of fishing for trout. its no too hard to pick up with a few lessons and pointers and cheap enough starter kits to get you going. much more rewarding than throwing around bits of metal or worms!

So probley early morning then yes? How about earth worms? Do they be ok for trout in morning say? By minnow u mean a lure yes?

In fast water a juicy lobworm is a great way to fish. No weights. Just a single hook and worm. And let the water do the work.
    No I don't mean a lure. I mean actual minnow. It's my favourite way to fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Worm fishing for trout ffs just buy a gill net and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Grumpy Greg

If u fly fish in an easterly wind for some reason they won't surface to take a fly. With worm no bothers because they are simply bottom feeders at this point. Actually you'll catch a trout (probably brown) on a worm in any condition but wheres the fun in worm fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If u fly fish in an easterly wind for some reason they won't surface to take a fly. With worm no bothers because they are simply bottom feeders at this point. Actually you'll catch a trout (probably brown) on a worm in any condition but wheres the fun in worm fishing.

I can't agree on the eastly wind bit. I have certainly got brown trout on the fly with an east wind blowing,

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

What's wrong with worm fishing and bait fishing for trout it annoys me when the fly anglers look down on people doing it

I fly fish I worm fish I use minnow as mentioned above which can be deadly

I was spinning last year on club water and I got called a "lead slinger " and I didn't like it one bit it's allowed in the club so I told him where to go , a few weeks later there was a flood and who was out with the spinning rod

best kind of fishing for trout. its no too hard to pick up with a few lessons and pointers and cheap enough starter kits to get you going. much more rewarding than throwing around bits of metal or worms!

So i hear its ment to the best way to fish and i would like to pick it up soon just now im not into but will be in a year or so id reckon :)

In fast water a juicy lobworm is a great way to fish. No weights. Just a single hook and worm. And let the water do the work.
    No I don't mean a lure. I mean actual minnow. It's my favourite way to fish.

Really ill have to try that never have before. The river i go to for trout is fast moving most parts and usally just us meps or flying c's but want other good ways to try aswell if they arent doing to well on some days

Really ill have to try that never have before. The river i go to for trout is fast moving most parts and usally just us meps or flying c's but want other good ways to try aswell if they arent doing to well on some days

Fast moving water is great for using a fresh caught dead minnow. Cast up into the faster water and gently twitch the minnow down in and usually the takes are hard no matter the trout size.

Fast moving water is great for using a fresh caught dead minnow. Cast up into the faster water and gently twitch the minnow down in and usually the takes are hard no matter the trout size.

Iv never tryed minnow before ill have to get my self some i usally just spin for them but want to try other ways too :)

Iv never tryed minnow before ill have to get my self some i usally just spin for them but want to try other ways too :)

Size 20 hook and some break. Just barely put a flake on the hook.
    Trick is to find them first.

Size 20 hook and some break. Just barely put a flake on the hook.
    Trick is to find them first.

Cheers man will let you know how i get on :)

Advertisement