Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it possible to go from a C3 to a B or even an A grade in English

Options
  • 28-03-2014 9:02pm

I got my English mock back today (I do higher level) which is what I actually predicted I'd get! I think I certainly did better on paper 2 - for the essay part I scores full marks for the PCLM. However for paper 2, I did terribly(which I knew half way through the exam) probably because of my answering technique and the fact I did very little study for paper 2. I would love to get a B1(or even an A
    but I'm not sure if that's very realistic) My teacher tells me I have very good answers but my problem is I fail to refer to the question and sometimes summarise. I have been trying to rectify this problem so hopefully I will have it sorted my June. My question is do you think it would be possible for me to get a very high grade in English ? (My
    Teacher told ms she thinks I'll get a very high grade in paper 1) ? IIts my favourite subject and I would be gutted if I received a low grade in it(to me, C3 is a low grade :/ ) Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I went up from a C of some kind in the mocks to an A1 in Leaving Cert English. It can be done! Practice writing and keep reading. I read bits of the property and travel supplements that came with the Sunday papers every week from the January of my Leaving Cert year and it really helped my vocabulary and the 'flow' of my writing. Your teacher sounds helpful - I'm sure if you do bits of extra work (s)he will correct it for you from time to time, and give you pointers as to how to avoid summarising and referring to the question without losing the flow of the answer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

My teacher tells me I have very good answers but my problem is I fail to refer to the question and sometimes summarise. I have been trying to rectify this problem so hopefully I will have it sorted my June. My question is do you think it would be possible for me to get a very high grade in English?
    Bear in mind you cant get higher than what you get in Purpose in the PCLM marking scheme, for example if you only get 20 out of 30 for Purpose you can't get more than 20 for Language or Coherance. Referring back to the question will always boost this mark as the question is always central, remember that. In order to raise your total mark you have to answer the question asked, not write what you've learnt off.
    With regard to summarizing avoid that also, paraphrasing is a definite no, particularly in the Single Text.
    In my opinion an A is attainable if you keep this in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shedu

Don't forget about the unseen poem. As it's only 5% it can be forgotten about in all the panic over the seen poets but an extra 1% there could move you up to the next grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Bear in mind you cant get higher than what you get in Purpose in the PCLM marking scheme, for example if you only get 20 out of 30 for Purpose you can't get more than 20 for Language or Coherance. Referring back to the question will always boost this mark as the question is always central, remember that. In order to raise your total mark you have to answer the question asked, not write what you've learnt off.
    With regard to summarizing avoid that also, paraphrasing is a definite no, particularly in the Single Text.
    In my opinion an A is attainable if you keep this in mind.

Paraphrasing is not a definite no at all.

Advertisement