Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you let out your cattle to grass?

Options
  • 28-03-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Wait until you can let them all out?

In sucklers so let them out as they calve?

Wait until the herd test is over?

Let them out in batches putting the worst of the bunch out first to give them a head start?

Let them out in batches putting the best of the bunch out first as they'll make the best use of the grass and thrive out of their skin?

Or F - None of the above, l have my own way of doing it! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

In sucklers here too muckit, mine go out in this order;
    weanling heifers go to grass when kale is gone, could be january,
    calved cows go out as they calve
    bull weanlings when I feel I have enough grass
    last out is dry cows, following behind the calved cows, as they calve shove the calf under the wire to the calved group and mother doesn't be long following.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks blue for reply. I'm not really in sucklers anymore, mainly drystock now, was only setting that up as an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Cows out as they calf.

Cattle out when silage is gone, hopefully another 2 weeks and there might be a pinch of growth.

I'd try and give the good grass to the finishers for the next few months, yearlings would suffer if needs be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Spring calvers go out as they calve, autumn are still in with the calves creeping out. ive started letting out small batches of heifers, but will usually go with the lightest first so they have a bit of a chance to gain on the others. Ive a new batch of autumn calving heifers will be staying in unti the silage is gone. also am i mad keeping a kilo of meal to the heifers as they hit the grass, i'm going to keep it to them the whole summer and compare on last years thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hill Bill

In drystock here, let lighter ones out first, helps them catch and even out the bunch. Learnt a lot from BTAP, closing some of the farm early helps early turnout, and the extra thrive has been an eye opener.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

As you point out, I always try to get the test done while they're inside. Have it now in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Sucklers out as they calve anyway. After that it's lightest first and work up to the heaviest. Lighter ones would often go to (very) light covers but find they go on ahead when a flush comes. The heavier lads stay in until we're positive the grass is there to keep them thriving. Everything goes to a small paddock near the yard first to blow off some steam and get the hanf of the fence again. Saves hardship of them going through fences and tearing up the place sometimes at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

In suckling too here. The early calvers go out first from the end or feb /start of march depending on the weather. Next lot of cows and calves go out as they calf after that.

Yearlings and replacements left off next once there is enough grass for them.

In calf cows stay on the beet by day and in at night until it's gone then join the rest of them on grass. The beet means that we only need to let off the cows with milk onto grass in the early spring so they always have good grass available even if there is poor growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Drystock here. The earlier an animal is due to finish the earlier they go out. This year I had heifers out two weeks ago, last week I put out heavy Friesian Bullocks. I have a few lighter ones going out today and the Friesian weanling will go out next week end and be squeezed 1-2 weeks later.

By targeting cattle that finish faster with early turnout it is often possible to get cattle away at a better price.

Advertisement