Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf follow on

Options
  • 28-03-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭

How long do ye lot feed calf crunch for before ye change over to follow on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cristeoir

I usually introduce it by putting a little bit of it through the crunch and increasing the amount gradually over a few weeks , don't like making any sudden changes to their diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bikes

I put bucket fed calves on to a weanling meal shortly after they are weaned off milk,I mix them for a while first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

bikes wrote: »
    I put bucket fed calves on to a weanling meal shortly after they are weaned off milk,I mix them for a while first.

I do the same I was just wondering was it too soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

my aut born weanlings are still eating the 18% cube they were first offered at wk 1... took to the cube from the off ,no messing with coarse rations that the birds would spoil

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bikes

Reggie. wrote: »
    I do the same I was just wondering was it too soon

I wean them either when they are eating 1kg of meal each or 10 weeks,by then they wont need the cooked ration and their rumen is developed enough for a ration. I bought calves off a lad a few weeks back and he was feeding 2 week old calves a bull ration,they wont be seeing that again for a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

bikes wrote: »
    I wean them either when they are eating 1kg of meal each or 10 weeks,by then they wont need the cooked ration and their rumen is developed enough for a ration. I bought calves off a lad a few weeks back and he was feeding 2 week old calves a bull ration,they wont be seeing that again for a few months.

I do the same here weather it's right or wrong I'm not sure, its just handy, never seem to have any problems weaning them then out to grass with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

my aut born weanlings are still eating the 18% cube they were first offered at wk 1... took to the cube from the off ,no messing with coarse rations that the birds would spoil

Sorry for my ignorance but Ive heard this "cube" name before, what is it or what do you mean by 18% cube ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

The Cuban wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance but Ive heard this "cube" name before, what is it or what do you mean by 18% cube ??

another term for nuts or pellets as opposed to coarse ration

18% is the declared protein %

jt65 wrote: »
    another term for nuts or pellets as opposed to coarse ration

18% is the declared protein %

I thought it was something like a lick or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

I thought it was something like a lick or something
    aaahhh reggie .... i didnt realise "cube" wasn`t a universal term....... yeah its a 18% protein nut i`m using.. my point being that the calves took to them straight away and didnt need to go through the stages.. the nuts are sim size to the larger cattle nuts unlike calf pencils.. this helps increase intake i was told(shown figures in fact).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

aaahhh reggie .... i didnt realise "cube" wasn`t a universal term....... yeah its a 18% protein nut i`m using.. my point being that the calves took to them straight away and didnt need to go through the stages.. the nuts are sim size to the larger cattle nuts unlike calf pencils.. this helps increase intake i was told(shown figures in fact).
    Yeo started using conollys calf pencils last autumn some job. Complete different calves to other yrs and they took to them from day one too

Here now I'm just a simple country lad :D

had a calf that wouldn't drink this morning and only had a dribble yeaterday evening, so I gave him electrolytes and put him in single pen. Went to the vets this evening., gave me rumen booster and multi vitamin injection for a few days I suspect maybe it might be because of giving them weanling meal instead of calf crunch or pencils??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

had a calf that wouldn't drink this morning and only had a dribble yeaterday evening, so I gave him electrolytes and put him in single pen. Went to the vets this evening., gave me rumen booster and multi vitamin injection for a few days I suspect maybe it might be because of giving them weanling meal instead of calf crunch or pencils??

Have you tried feeding him with a teat bucket to see if he can suck.?
    I put the teat in his mouth and squeeze the milk into his mouth so he'L get the taste of ot,
    But if he puts the teat in his mouth and chews it and sticks his tounge to the side that's a different story that will drive you mental,
    I would say you should be feeding crunch, don't know weather it would affect him drinking or not!

Have you tried feeding him with a teat bucket to see if he can suck.?
    I put the teat in his mouth and squeeze the milk into his mouth so he'L get the taste of ot,
    But if he puts the teat in his mouth and chews it and sticks his tounge to the side that's a different story that will drive you mental,
    I would say you should be feeding crunch, don't know weather it would affect him drinking or not!

He was drinking away on the teats the last week he's a suck calve and trained to the teats.... He just became un interested in the milk.. Could of affected his stomach in some way maybe?the rest are fine though...

He was drinking away on the teats the last week he's a suck calve and trained to the teats.... He just became un interested in the milk.. Could of affected his stomach in some way maybe?the rest are fine though...

You didn't change the milk replacer in any way

Hmmmm. What else are you feeding him?
    Any changes been made that might influence anything?
    Is he eating well?

You didn't change the milk replacer in any way

Nope.?! Ill check in the morning first thing hope he drinks, have never lost a calf here yet,,

Nope.?! Ill check in the morning first thing hope he drinks, have never lost a calf here yet,,

Well any luck?

Well any luck?

Drank a 1lt this morning, gave electrolytes with some kaolin powder mixed in....looks abit better now. Will give him 5ml multi vitamin injection this evening....

• Advertisement

Drank a 1lt this morning, gave electrolytes with some kaolin powder mixed in....looks abit better now. Will give him 5ml multi vitamin injection this evening....

Give him another dose a kaolin powder again today to keep him on track

Advertisement